What's new

Suggest a new current stock SR for under USD 150

I was sort of challenged to do a Titan vs GD shootout by <ahem> someone on this forum a few months ago. Believe it or not, I found the cheapest of Titan's product line to overall be the best of the bunch. That was I think just a hair over $20 and it compared favorably to a better GD. I don't remember the model number. Anyway I liked it a lot more than the more expensive Titans. Some of them were a bit chippy, and most had metal lined and metal bolstered scales, and heavy ones, too. I prefer the razor balance between thumb and forefinger, maybe be just a tiny bit out on the blade. Heavy scales to me feel very awkward when honing, stropping, or shaving. YMMV.

Best bang for the buck, the GD P81. Hands down. Fairly easy to get it sorted out, recommended for newbie honers on a budget. The entry level Titan is okay, though.

My FAVORITE new razor of course is the Dovo Bismarck or any similar blade from Solingen... they apparently all originate from the same factory. The various makers just do final grinding and marking and put some shoes on. Very ergonomic and you occasionally see a plain vanilla one for right around $150. I have several, and also a few of the original Bismarck branded Bismarck #2 that is the pattern for these new generation Bismarcks.

I think I have the lowest cost Titan as well, I was interested in it because of a review of the Japanese steel by @rbscebu and it seemed like a great deal. I can't wait to try it.

I also really like the Solingen blades, they really seem to hold an edge well. I just wish Dovo was a bit more consistent these days.

That Titan model you have forgotten was their ACRM-2 T.H.60 (etched on the blade's face). On AliExpress it is about USD 20 including free delivery and a denim strop with a piece of stropping paste (if that's your thing).

That's the one I ordered. It looked really nice for a blade that cheap.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That's the one I ordered. It looked really nice for a blade that cheap.
I think that you will like it, once you have it honed up to your shave-ready standard. To get a better shaving timber scaled SR, I need to spend at least 5 times the price of the T.H.60.

The T.H.60 can be a rather forgiving SR. I learnt my initial SR technique (both honing and shaving together) on one. I still have a "few" in my collection and they are regularly included in my rotation.

+1 on checking out Ertan Süer. Rasoir Sabre France is his company name. I am waiting on a 6/8 Campiono (T-I C135 blank).

Last time I checked, Royal Shave was still selling the Dovo Carre, 6/8, thumb notch blank, wooden scales, for less than $150. An excellent discount on one of Dovo's selected superior grinds. Supposedly, the lesser grinds get marked, scaled, and sold as Bismarcks.

+1 on checking out Ertan Süer. Rasoir Sabre France is his company name. I am waiting on a 6/8 Campiono (T-I C135 blank).

Last time I checked, Royal Shave was still selling the Dovo Carre, 6/8, thumb notch blank, wooden scales, for less than $150. An excellent discount on one of Dovo's selected superior grinds. Supposedly, the lesser grinds get marked, scaled, and sold as Bismarcks.
Do you have to buy Ertan Suer's razors from The Superior Shave (I don't want to do that) or can you buy direct?

Do you have to buy Ertan Suer's razors from The Superior Shave (I don't want to do that) or can you buy direct?

Buy direct. You will get to see his entire line. You can use PayPal. I am completely happy with my Der Kayser, Drakkar, and 5/8 Legend Koroglu (my first RSF). I am eager to receive my 6/8 Campiono, but it is a small outfit and some decoration is outsourced, so I'm waiting patiently.

Just going through his website is worth the time. Lots of info there beyond just the 'product line'.

Go for it. It is a great artisan/craftsman company. And if you get one of his 7/8 Geishas, I want to know how you like it.

Buy direct. You will get to see his entire line. You can use PayPal. I am completely happy with my Der Kayser, Drakkar, and 5/8 Legend Koroglu (my first RSF). I am eager to receive my 6/8 Campiono, but it is a small outfit and some decoration is outsourced, so I'm waiting patiently.

Just going through his website is worth the time. Lots of info there beyond just the 'product line'.

Go for it. It is a great artisan/craftsman company. And if you get one of his 7/8 Geishas, I want to know how you like it.
Do you have the link for his direct site?

The thicker piece of the blade that runs from near the heel to the shoulder. It is used to add stiffness to the blade.
Ok.
Here a few of my chinese razors.Look all the same to me.

IMG_20210727_104245.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Ok.
Here a few of my chinese razors.Look all the same to me.

View attachment 1302745
Yes, and they each have a stabiliser.
IMG_20210727_191958.jpg
In your cases they each have a single stabiliser. Others can have no stabiliser or a double stabiliser.

Here is one with a double stabiliser.
IMG_20210727_192705.jpg
It's not just an Asian thing. Many SR's out if Europe, UK and the US also have stabilisers.

Last edited:

Hi. Did you receive your 6/8 Campiono? What were your thoughts? Thanks!

Hi. Did you receive your 6/8 Campiono? What were your thoughts? Thanks!

I received it promptly, once RSF got it back from the guy who puts gold on the blade.

This was my first post:

This razor is one of my favorites, certainly my favorite SR with an extra hollow grind. I have yet to set it on a hone. Diamond pasted balsa strops have kept the edge perfect so far. I definitely reach for it first among similar razors.

I am comparing it here to new, hollow 6/8 razors that I use regularly:
Dovo Carre
RSF Drakkar
RSF Der Kayser
TI 1937

I have in the past given heavier grinds my highest regard. The 6/8 Campiono is changing my mind about that.

I received it promptly, once RSF got it back from the guy who puts gold on the blade.

This was my first post:

This razor is one of my favorites, certainly my favorite SR with an extra hollow grind. I have yet to set it on a hone. Diamond pasted balsa strops have kept the edge perfect so far. I definitely reach for it first among similar razors.

I am comparing it here to new, hollow 6/8 razors that I use regularly:
Dovo Carre
RSF Drakkar
RSF Der Kayser
TI 1937

I have in the past given heavier grinds my highest regard. The 6/8 Campiono is changing my mind about that.
Thank you for the review. I favor the Artisan made razors, over the mass produced. I plan to pick up an Ertan Suer myself.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Just revisiting this thread. Settling on a Ralf Aust or a Steve Colling custom, I couldn't decide between the two. I knew what the advice would be from B&B, so I bought one of each.

Steve Colling Custom (about US$140)

Ralf Aust (about US$170)
The Ralf Aust was a little over my budget but I couldn't resist the patten on the blond horn scales.

Just revisiting this thread. Settling on a Ralf Aust or a Steve Colling custom, I couldn't decide between the two. I knew what the advice would be from B&B, so I bought one of each.

Steve Colling Custom (about US$140)

Ralf Aust (about US$170)
The Ralf Aust was a little over my budget but I couldn't resist the patten on the blond horn scales.
Seriously.. those scales are gorgeous.. and the American point is nice, aust's Spanish point appears more rounded than my tastes

Any new suggestions?

If I were to buy a new straight razor for less than 200 USD, I would do the following:
  1. For a new near wedge, I would buy a RigaRazor made by Andrejs on eBay at Security Measure - https://www.ebay.com/usr/rigarazor21.
  2. For a new full hollow, I would buy a shave-ready 6/8 Dovo Bismarck or 6/8 Thiers-Issard Le Grelot from Matt at Griffith Shaving Goods but first ask Matt about the evenness of the grinds on both razors*.
Alternatively, I would buy a vintage straight razor from Matt.

*Thiers-Issard has been known to distribute razors with uneven grinds, probably due to quality control.

Top Bottom