What's new

Suggest a new current stock SR for under USD 150

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
An experienced SR shaver who knows how to hone up a wicked edge requires a new current stock SR with a maximum price of USD 150 plus shipping bought online. What would you suggest?

This one might fit the bill

Despite one bad experience Ralph Aust is still my pick in this category. Possibly a victim of his own success, I don’t think that you can rely on absolute perfection or shave ready anymore but the razors are generally very good. The blades are well finished with good geometry, quality steel and nice bevel angles. You can choose from a range of sizes, styles, steels and scales. The scales are a bit basic with spacers and washers but they work very well and close nice and centre every time. I’m still not sure what makes some razors better shavers than others but these are generally great shavers.

Where is the person located?

Another option is a 5/8 or 6/8 TI with model 275 C135 blade with satin finish and plastic scales like a Le Dandy or Special Coiffeur. These can be had in the US for close to $110. The only issue is you need to verify with the seller that you can return the razor if not used and the edge is not even.

I should add that the Special Coiffeur's half hollow grind feels pretty close to full hollow to me.

My Le Grelot came with a shave ready factory edge that performed very well on the HHT test. At $129 for the 5/8, this is a fantastic razor. It is also available with black scales and as a 6/8.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I should refine what is required a bit more.
  • Blade size 6/8 or greater
  • Scales of timber
  • New current stock
  • Shave-ready not required
  • Available online
  • Under USD 150 (excluding shipping)
As it needs to be available online and cost excludes shipping, location does not matter.

"Scales of timber" will greatly reduce your choices. I would think you need to go custom for that, which would likely not fit your budget. But I hope you find something that meets your needs.

At around $200+ it seems a couple quality timber-scaled alternatives open up (Aust snakewood, Boker Wenge, Curly Birch, etc.)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
So far I know of Gold Dollar, Titan and Revisor make and sell SR's meeting my desired requirements. S.K. Colling should also be able to make a custom SR within the budget, provided I don't have any "fancy" requirements.

Any others?

I have had SR's with plastic scales, both Chinese and German. I was not happy with any of them.

Last edited:
Ralf's price (157.23 Euro) includes VAT. I looked up the Gerrman VAT (19%) and
and deducted (127.35 Euros). With the current exchange rate it comes to $150.68.

Ralf Aust 6/8" roundpoint in olivewood

or same blade in Mexican palisander ("rosewood")

Last edited:
Ralf's price (157.23 Euro) includes VAT. I looked up the Gerrman VAT (19%) and
and deducted (127.35 Euros). With the current exchange rate it comes to $150.68.
Ralf Aust 6/8" roundpoint in olivewood.

Well that's going to be hard to beat. Weird that the link says "olivewood" and the page says "rosewood." Picture looks like olivewood though.

Well that's going to be hard to beat. Weird that the link says "olivewood" and the page says "rosewood." Picture looks like olivewood though.

I found a second razor for the same price in "Mexican palisander" which is translated from German to English on Google translate as "rosewood." I added it to my original post.

I have a Ralf Aust 6/8" round point in horn and it is an excellent razor.

Ralf’s African Blackwood is very nice. Jet black, dense and tight grained. Lovely stuff. I hope he hasn’t been effected by the floods in his area.

Top Bottom