What's new

Style lament...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
After rumbling down the stairs one Saturday morning, I walked into the living room where my daughter was seated on the couch watching TV.

I was wearing an untucked Lacoste, chinos and a pair of Jack Purcell sneeks (no socks).

My daughter looked at me and asked:

“Dad, why are you all dressed up?”

🙄😀
You will never forget that moment my friend. You are blessed.

This past year I served as a mentor at a local high school. It was for an entrepreneurship class and was so fulfilling to be a part of. I loved every moment of it and will be doing it again this coming August in three classes. I mention this because once a month I was at our local school walking the hallways, interacting with students. This school is a highly desirable public school - lots of high achievers that come from families with high expectations for their children.

Goodness, what some of these students wear. The majority have clothes on. A distinct minority are wearing stuff, not quite sweats. So pajama bottoms with a hoodie. Twice I saw students with pajamas on and a bathrobe. I looked around thinking, "Okay, maybe it is "pajama day" or something." Uh, no. Just a normal day at school. What the???

It was interesting to look around our class, however. The students taking entrepreneurship, by definition, are go-getters. Hardly saw a hoodie, nor sweats. They had normal clothes on like you would expect. These kids are going to make something of themselves and the dress the part.

If I were to go out for a quart of milk, the likelihood is that I would forget to make a list, forget what I was out for, and come home with Knob Creek, Tanqueray and Dolin, or all of them. Cheers!
I tell my wife that the navigation on my car always delivers me to the parking lot of the liquor store, and since I’m there, what should I pick up.

I wear scrubs all week, so the weekend is my opportunity to make an effort. Nice jeans, pressed shirt tucked in with Chelsea boots or brogues is about as casual as I go.

I'm trying to shift some weight at the moment and don't feel more formal clothes suit my figure as well as I'd like, so when I feel more comfortable I'll no doubt be wearing suit trousers and a shirt most of the time as I love formal clothing.

I wear scrubs all week, so the weekend is my opportunity to make an effort. Nice jeans, pressed shirt tucked in with Chelsea boots or brogues is about as casual as I go.

I'm trying to shift some weight at the moment and don't feel more formal clothes suit my figure as well as I'd like, so when I feel more comfortable I'll no doubt be wearing suit trousers and a shirt most of the time as I love formal clothing.
I’d like to find some nice Chelsea boots. Love that style.

I generally wear a shirt, sports jacket, and slacks as well as a Panama or dress hat (depending upon the weather). I get sick and tired of seeing men in a t-shirt, blue denim, or black denim jeans.

Dressing as a mature adult male... what a concept!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
This past year I served as a mentor at a local high school. It was for an entrepreneurship class and was so fulfilling to be a part of. I loved every moment of it and will be doing it again this coming August in three classes. I mention this because once a month I was at our local school walking the hallways, interacting with students. This school is a highly desirable public school - lots of high achievers that come from families with high expectations for their children.

Goodness, what some of these students wear. The majority have clothes on. A distinct minority are wearing stuff, not quite sweats. So pajama bottoms with a hoodie. Twice I saw students with pajamas on and a bathrobe. I looked around thinking, "Okay, maybe it is "pajama day" or something." Uh, no. Just a normal day at school. What the???

It was interesting to look around our class, however. The students taking entrepreneurship, by definition, are go-getters. Hardly saw a hoodie, nor sweats. They had normal clothes on like you would expect. These kids are going to make something of themselves and the dress the part.
I regret to report that some supermarkets here in the UK have felt it necessary to request adults to refrain from wearing pyjamas or nightclothes in store, and also avoid shopping in bare feet. These are not children that need to be reminded of this, they are adults, sadly often with children of their own. They are predictably outraged at being told to dress appropriately.

My aim is to dress slightly smarter than anyone else I meet when I go somewhere, while still being 'casual' about it. You can be quite good looking with 'casual' clothes like chino pants, short sleeve shirt etc. There is also the way you carry yourself that makes a difference. Some people in a suit look like tramps because they don't know how to wear it. Pretty much exactly like ladies in a dress and high heel who don't know how to wear/walk in it!

In my younger years I was jeans, boots + leather jacket kind of guys, but I always thought it looked ridiculous once you hit 40-45, and lo-and-behold, one day, I hit 40-45 and I decided to completely change style. Now I get /constant/ comments on the way I dress, there's no better compliment than someone mentioning you as "this dashing gentleman"!

I posted a picture in the hat thread of my 'casual wear' :)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I often feel the same way, but I'm an old (71) curmudgeon. I'm sure many people thought the same thing of me with my longish hair and pegged pants, followed by longer hair and bellbottoms.

But I can report that I earned a few degrees, had a successful career as a music teacher where I wore a jacket and tie virtually every day. I am fully confident that many of these pajama wearing students will be successful adults. Styles change. I'm still not over people wearing baseball hats indoors.

“Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants.” That quote is from Socrates - some things never seem to change.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
“Children; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. They no longer rise when elders enter the room, they contradict their parents and tyrannize their teachers. Children are now tyrants.” That quote is from Socrates - some things never seem to change.
I have noticed that in recent years I often read an excellent quote such as this and look it up on the Internet only to find that the attribution is contested or demonstrably incorrect. Even quotes I have used myself for many years I have later found were incorrect, wrongly ascribed, or the source is contested or unproven. The Internet, which once I considered the greatest source of knowledge ever produced, now serves only to confuse me with contradicting claims and assertions that make me doubt what I once held as true; a sign of getting old perhaps 😆 Anyway, whoever said it I suspect they were correct 👍

Folks are lazy.
It takes a bit of work to acquire and maintain a decent wardrobe. That is true if you are digging trenches in Carhartt's and quality boots, taking a coffee break in slacks and a collared shirt that have seen an iron a few times or representing a client in a jacket/tie with an obviously pressed shirt and shined shoes.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Folks are lazy.
It takes a bit of work to acquire and maintain a decent wardrobe. That is true if you are digging trenches in Carhartt's and quality boots, taking a coffee break in slacks and a collared shirt that have seen an iron a few times or representing a client in a jacket/tie with an obviously pressed shirt and shined shoes.
As long as you know your sizes and they are readily available, the internet makes it awfully easy to shop, with the added bonuses of ease in finding best prices and useful reviews and comments. Even the lazy have no excuse any longer!

Top Bottom