What's new

Kai Smooth

How many wet shavers just find something they like and stick to it?

A while ago I started a thread about how many shaves people get from a blade. After getting 7 shaves from a Kai blade in my 1940s Gillette Tech RE revamp, I switched to the Tatara Masamune I also like, and have been getting three nice shaves from Gillette Platinums. Every time I use an Astra, Nacet, Wizimet, Wilkinson Sword, or Voshkod I think, yes, that is very nice, I see why people like those, and then I go right back to the Gillette Platinums after one shave with the other brand. I think that is a sign that the Platinums are the right blade for me.

Then today I switched back to the Tech and the same old Kai blade! And what do you know, shave No. 8 was fantastic. Smooth and easy during the shave—my usual 1 1/2 passes using oil—and afterward I got that same wonderful smoothness that attracted me to the combination in the first place. I sit here at the computer stroking my own face for the pleasure of it, thinking, how weird is this, what you're doing right now? Don't do it in public, people will think you're strange! Ha! But it's amazing.

How many times am I going to have to shave with this old Kai before it starts showing signs of decline? I'd love to open up a new one but I feel some sort of odd obligation to keep the experiment going. Just so I know how long they will go.

I sure wish the Kai fit in the Masamune, but it doesn't. I asked Tatara, and Luis replied, "Indeed, many other users of Tatara reported that the Kai Blades do not fit in their razors. We design our razors to have a tight tolerance with blades dimensions. I believe their dimensions are out of tolerance (too tight)."

You know what they say: oh well.

I know that owning and using many razors and blades and many types of soaps and aftershaves and so forth is a big part of the hobby, and I respect that. A hobby is a hobby and should be enjoyed however the hobbyist wants to. I can see it's a great hobby. But I find myself wondering, how many wet shavers just find something they like and stick to it?

All best,
MtB

I am in the midst of re-evaluating blades after using GSB‘s exclusively for about 8 years. Kai’s are among the blades that I recently tested, and they dethroned the GSB’s for me. I found the Kai’s to be sharper, smoother and have double the longevity for me…

Right now first place is a toss up between the Kai’s and Lab Blues.

Wet Shaving is pretty much to each their own, from my experience here as we all well know.
So many questions are hard to answer because of the a shaver's permutation.
Skin, stubble, density, thickness, overall process, hardware, software, age, environment - weather & more...
So you could get 7 shaves out of a KAI but I can only get 3. So what good the is data if is is not detailed.
Key here might be to follow shavers that have a lot of similarities to you. This could help you on your quest for more info.

The key thing for me is I really stick to is my execution > extra prep, process- during practices and post shave recovery. Plus I always keep it fun and take my time.
I do like a variety in my hardware and software. I have been wet shaving now for 50 years..& still passionate about it.
To me it is really about how you are using all the components, more than what you use. And making sure they all are compatible. Improving the skills and making methodical changes.

On this great forum, we all can help on getting tips, sharing our experiences and knowledge. Sharing info and ideas on thing to possible to try. That is one key element why we are all here.
But the bottom-line is finding a great smart safe ritual that works best for you.

Santa Smiles,
BFX

KIA later...

I finally binned the Kai after the 9th shave this morning. It still did well, but felt a bit rough-ish, especially in the spots where my whiskers are heavier. Could have been my imagination. I probably could have gotten it to go longer. The shave it gave me today is just as smooth as any other day. Delightful. I love love love the results.

But at least I proved to myself that I could shave with Kai blades and open one new one only every week. That would make them very cost-effective.

So I'm down to the Tech/Kai for seven uses or the Masamune with a Gillette Platinum for three uses. Wondering if I need to pick just one of them, or trade off back and forth, or what. But I guess I don't need to decide this minute.

MtB

But I find myself wondering, how many wet shavers just find something they like and stick to it?

All best,
MtB
I would guess that is actually the majority of wet-shavers around the world. Most people don't have a dozen high quality razors nor do they have multiple brushes and soaps and thousands of hoarded razor blades.

Like my dad. He bought his blades at the grocery store and generally got some Old Spice gift pack around Christmas every year (lol). He would have looked askance at my small hoard of 300 razor blades and wondered why do I need to buy a few years worth as he reused blades until they were too dull.

I finally binned the Kai after the 9th shave this morning. It still did well, but felt a bit rough-ish, especially in the spots where my whiskers are heavier. Could have been my imagination. I probably could have gotten it to go longer. The shave it gave me today is just as smooth as any other day. Delightful. I love love love the results.

But at least I proved to myself that I could shave with Kai blades and open one new one only every week. That would make them very cost-effective.

So I'm down to the Tech/Kai for seven uses or the Masamune with a Gillette Platinum for three uses. Wondering if I need to pick just one of them, or trade off back and forth, or what. But I guess I don't need to decide this minute.

MtB
Do a bit of both, or whatever makes you happy. As mentioned above, the majority of DE shavers are probably not using the array of products most here are.

To expand on my earlier post about blade testing...

I started DE shaving about 10 years ago after starting to have trouble with cartridge razors and canned foam. My older and dryer face started to suffer badly..

The first year or two I was on forums and trying a bunch of different things, and it was great! Learned a lot and never looked back.

Then my kids started hitting that age where my free time all but evaporated, and I kind of fell off shaving as a hobby. I spent about 8 years using my Super Speed and GSB blades exclusively, paired up with a Semogue brush and either Arko or Cella soap. And you know what? That was great as well. Maybe boring, but my face is still fine and I have honed the craft to a high level.

Fast forward to the present. My kids are older and I have some free time again. Now I'm deep into round two of testing/forums/trying new things, etc. I'm focusing on blades I have not tried yet and some of the newer razor designs.

This last run has so far, been a lot of fun too. I just do what I feel like and don't worry about online approval of how I go about it.

Too much YMMV in this hobby to stress over it...

I sure wish the Kai fit in the Masamune, but it doesn't. I asked Tatara, and Luis replied, "Indeed, many other users of Tatara reported that the Kai Blades do not fit in their razors. We design our razors to have a tight tolerance with blades dimensions. I believe their dimensions are out of tolerance (too tight)."
It's the same with my Blackbird Ti. But interestingly these blades existed before these razors, so I blame the razor designer and not that of the blade. They made the conscious choice to avoid or simply overlooked the opportunity to support the dimensions of Kai blades. It was said to me of Blackland, when I was complaining about the Osprey razor (which I continue to do), that Shane is very detail-oriented, but he sure missed this detail for sure.

I have 5 razors (three of them have at least 2 base plates), and for a long time I was making my decisions of which blade I liked unilaterally. Then I started taking notes of how my different blades performed in each razor (and with each base plate), and I've changed to keeping a kind of hierarchy for each razor/plate. Kai places in the top 3 for each and every one.

How many wet shavers just find something they like and stick to it?

A while ago I started a thread about how many shaves people get from a blade. After getting 7 shaves from a Kai blade in my 1940s Gillette Tech RE revamp, I switched to the Tatara Masamune I also like, and have been getting three nice shaves from Gillette Platinums. Every time I use an Astra, Nacet, Wizimet, Wilkinson Sword, or Voshkod I think, yes, that is very nice, I see why people like those, and then I go right back to the Gillette Platinums after one shave with the other brand. I think that is a sign that the Platinums are the right blade for me.

Then today I switched back to the Tech and the same old Kai blade! And what do you know, shave No. 8 was fantastic. Smooth and easy during the shave—my usual 1 1/2 passes using oil—and afterward I got that same wonderful smoothness that attracted me to the combination in the first place. I sit here at the computer stroking my own face for the pleasure of it, thinking, how weird is this, what you're doing right now? Don't do it in public, people will think you're strange! Ha! But it's amazing.

How many times am I going to have to shave with this old Kai before it starts showing signs of decline? I'd love to open up a new one but I feel some sort of odd obligation to keep the experiment going. Just so I know how long they will go.

You know what they say: oh well.

I know that owning and using many razors and blades and many types of soaps and aftershaves and so forth is a big part of the hobby, and I respect that. A hobby is a hobby and should be enjoyed however the hobbyist wants to. I can see it's a great hobby. But I find myself wondering, how many wet shavers just find something they like and stick to it?

All best,
MtB
If you like the Kai you might like the Facun. They're usually on Amazon a $6 for 50.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Kai SS blades are a excellent choice for mild razors IMO. They are slightly wider blade than a standard Gillette blade also. As for longevity the Kai is excellent also and I have received 9-10 shaves per blade consistently where other blades I might get 5-7 shaves it seems so the Kai has better metal or heat treatment of the blades has been my conclusion.
The slightly wider blade gives a slight bump up in performance and efficiency but nothing over the top or discomfort IMO!
(archived photo below shows the difference I measured with my micrometers, I was a machinist before I retired.)
Kai SS VS Gillette Astra SP 2.jpg

Have some great shaves!

I tried Kai blades early on in a Merkur slant and did not love it. Weepers and overall discomfort. I should try them again in a Henson mild or medium.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Top Bottom