What's new

Struggling On...

Someone probably wrote this already. For me, my neck is an anomaly when compared to my face. My face has standard growth patterns and can be done in the regular style of doing passes.
My neck is a another story. There is no rhyme or reason or pattern to the hair growth direction so I find the grain in 6 different ways, depending on where on my neck I am.
On top of that, because my neck is sensitive, I do more than the regular WTG, XTG, ATG. I do passes that are in the middle of each of those. And in several places.

For me, I just try very hard to start cutting with the grain and then slowly cutting more and more against the grain. If I focus on that, I can get DFS on the neck that doesnt hurt.

good luck and keep the pressure light. Eventually, it goes much faster when you do it enough.

Using this as more of a shave diary now.
Second shave on the Voskhod was similar to the first. However, a little irritation on the neck. Could well be my technique but it happened on the first shave, but seemed to develop a few hours after the shave. So perhaps I don’t get on with them as well as I thought.

Deciding what to try tonight. Think I may try the 7 O’Clock yellows although tempted by the Astra SS.

Someone probably wrote this already. For me, my neck is an anomaly when compared to my face. My face has standard growth patterns and can be done in the regular style of doing passes.
My neck is a another story. There is no rhyme or reason or pattern to the hair growth direction so I find the grain in 6 different ways, depending on where on my neck I am.
On top of that, because my neck is sensitive, I do more than the regular WTG, XTG, ATG. I do passes that are in the middle of each of those. And in several places.

For me, I just try very hard to start cutting with the grain and then slowly cutting more and more against the grain. If I focus on that, I can get DFS on the neck that doesnt hurt.

good luck and keep the pressure light. Eventually, it goes much faster when you do it enough.

Same here. Some days good...some bad. Hard to put my finger on it. Getting closer every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a left-field idea: get a straight razor or shavette. I was still learning how to use my first DE when I bought my first shavette. After a bit, when I picked up my DE again, the shaves were as smooth as butter and I couldn't for the life of me figure why it had ever seemed difficult.

It's like when you're learning to swim and someone releases some sharks into the pool. Once they're all gone, swimming suddenly seems very easy.

So today’s shave was with a Gillette Platinum in the 34C. Very pleasant shave, practically BBS and less irritation again. So I get on with this blade and technique is improving.

I did have a couple of shaves with the yellows but think I prefer GSBs and the platinums so far.

I tried an Astra SS. It felt really rough. The result was ok but I didn’t enjoy shaving with it. I’ll come back to it but not for me at the moment.

More blades on the way but back to the GSB for now!

So tried the GSB with Proraso cream which I’ve not used before. Lathered really nicely and was protective but I think I’ll stick to Castle Forbes at the moment.
Think I’m going to stick with Gillette Platinums and Castle Forbes lavender cream for about a month and see how I get on!

I’m looking forward to seeing how I’ve developed after a month. I’m still doing 3 pass shaves but deliberately not going for BBS at the moment.

I’ve started trying J Hooking for my neck line as the hairs grow parallel with the skin. Taking some practice but seems to be working. After about an hour, my skin definitely calms down. Just got to try not to get angry with the immediate result, as an hour later, it’s a different story.

Still sticking with the Platinums. I’ve had my FOCS delivered, but it’s for a birthday present so have to resist the temptation to use it. It’ll be my reward after sticking to everything for a month.

Worse shave for a while today. Nicks and irritation. Very annoying.

Obviously got carried away with J Hooking and need to perhaps bring it back to basics.

Even had to break the Alum block out today, cold water and Castle Forbes balm couldn’t stop the bleeding!! Same blade, razor etc so need to work on technique and perhaps give the J hooking a miss for a little while, as my neck looks like crap today!

It took me a few months to find the right Razor ,Rockwell 6s ,blades Perma sharp and Nacet and a good soap like Stirling, plus technique to be able to get a bbs without irritation .If I deviate too much from these then bbs goes out the window and or irritation appears .

How many shaves on the blade you were using? I ask because I find that if I start to draw blood(other than a slip of the razor) it is time to change blades. For me it is from 4 to 6 shaves. Even though for me the blade still seems sharp I do get more irritation the more shaves I have on a blade.

I have also found that soaps do make a difference even when using the same blade. I have a couple soaps I keep around just because of the scent and don't want to get rid of them for that purpose. Bad thing is they don't offer the slip, glide, slickness, lube, or whatever you wish to call it, and I end up with irritation and even scrapes and/or nicks.

How many shaves on the blade you were using? I ask because I find that if I start to draw blood(other than a slip of the razor) it is time to change blades. For me it is from 4 to 6 shaves. Even though for me the blade still seems sharp I do get more irritation the more shaves I have on a blade.

I have also found that soaps do make a difference even when using the same blade. I have a couple soaps I keep around just because of the scent and don't want to get rid of them for that purpose. Bad thing is they don't offer the slip, glide, slickness, lube, or whatever you wish to call it, and I end up with irritation and even scrapes and/or nicks.
If a blade bites me enough to draw blood it gets binned even if it is the first time that I used it. Bite me once, shame on you, bite me twice, shame on me.

Unfortunately it was a brand new Gillette Platinum. I have found they tend to smooth out with use. So I think it was definitely me and my technique with the J Hooking.

I’m sticking with Castle Forbes cream at the moment and seems to give decent enough slickness. Although I’ll be buying a Stirling soap ready for the festive season so can compare the 2.

I have not tried Sterling soaps. I did get a couple samples in a lot I bought here. Since they were tallow they already had a slight rancid smell to them so I never used them and they ended up in the can. I have had 2 other soaps do that so I have been staying away from tallow soaps. I am a big fan of Saponificio Veresino soaps, they are a little costly but worth it in my book. I have had 2 Castle Forbes, the first was Cedarwood/Sandalwood, didn't mind the scent, friend liked it better so I gave it to him. I turned around and bought CF 1445 and I really like the scent. Performance isn't quite what I get from SV but I think it ranks up there.

So a decent shave today. Same blade that tore me up the other day. The platinums definitely get better with use. First time I’ve put CeraVe on after a shave and not had some stinging. So happy with today’s shave!! Paid close attention to my pro

I have not tried Sterling soaps. I did get a couple samples in a lot I bought here. Since they were tallow they already had a slight rancid smell to them so I never used them and they ended up in the can. I have had 2 other soaps do that so I have been staying away from tallow soaps. I am a big fan of Saponificio Veresino soaps, they are a little costly but worth it in my book. I have had 2 Castle Forbes, the first was Cedarwood/Sandalwood, didn't mind the scent, friend liked it better so I gave it to him. I turned around and bought CF 1445 and I really like the scent. Performance isn't quite what I get from SV but I think it ranks up there.

Hopefully I don’t have the same experience with Stirling! I’ve got a sample of CF Cedarwood/Sandalwood but not keen on the smell. Albeit I haven’t used it yet. Also have a sample of 1445 and like the smell. Quite a fan of the CF line. I’ll check out the SV line! Thanks!

Again, thank you all for the quick replies. Already liking this little community.

An hour on and the redness as reduced significantly, which makes me think I did better than normal.

New blades are in the post. Think I’ve got some feathers and Astra’s amongst others en route.

I’m tempted by a new soap/cream, as my face feels extremely tight after shaving. Maybe this will help.

I’ll have to keep practicing! Just annoying I have to wait a whole day before I can go again!
Mikey,

My trouble spot is the left side of my neck, where the hairs grow forward -- toward my Adam's apple. IF I'm going against the grain there, I have to contort my right hand around and slide the razor away from the Adam's apple toward the back of my neck -- a weird angle for my hand. So, first, I don't bother with ATG much if I'm only doing a 1-pass shave, which is usual if I have only a 24-hour beard. With a 48-hour beard, I have more hair to cut, and the ATG pass works better.

Second, I really can't stretch that portion of my neck without pulling skin back toward the nape of my neck. So with my left hand, I press on the right side of my throat below the jawline. It makes the left side extrude a little, and makes the entire area a little flatter and easier to shave.

I've yet to achieve BBS in that area. But . . . nobody at work or in my personal life is checking my face but me. Plus; if a lady friend were to check that area, she would draw her hand forward along my neck and throat, the way the beard grows. That will feel ultra smooth.

So another shave this evening. It was a day after a shave, which always makes me nervous. I know people say there’s no difference, but there must be, at least psychologically! To make matters worse, it wasn’t ideal circumstances. I had already had a shower a few hours ago, when my partner said she was going to have a bath, which gave me a shaving opportunity! So I didn’t do my usual pre shave prep of having a hot shower.

However, not a bad shave. Again, no stinging with CeraVe! Not as close on the neck as it could have been, but better that than irritation! Day off from tomorrow so see what Saturday brings!

Another decent shave. Feel like things are clicking into place now. Still no CeraVe sting and went for BBS apart from on the neck.

Tempted to try some more blades that I’ve got tucked away. I know I said I’d stick to the Platinums for a month but tempted to squeeze something else in? Maybe Nacets or Wilkinson Sword (Black) and see how I get on! As start of December, I’ll have my FOCS to try out!!

Top Bottom