What's new

Struggling On...

The problem area is the bits that lead from my Adams apple towards my ears. Because I can’t get the angle right on these areas, I end up doing numerous passes to reduce the beard, which is causing irritation, coupled with my angle probably being too steep.
@mikey642, this is a "known issue" for many people, nothing unique, so don't worry, you'll get there! 😀

The most simple way of combating it, is stretching your skin sideways, so that the skin covering the Adam's apple gets pulled left/right in an effort to form a flatt(er) surface.

Watch GFB demonstrate this magnificently in the video below. Your issue with Adam's apple starts at around 1:45, but I'd watch the entire clip, it's invaluable.

Thanks all again for the help.

So, as a pay day treat, I got a 34C. Seems to be a bigger difference in quality compared to my Timor. And I wanted a well known bench mark to carry on my journey!

So first shave with the 34C today. Just now. Fresh Astra SP in with it. Unfortunately, my lather wasn’t good enough, wasn’t thick enough so it was quickly dissolving on my face, which won’t have helped with any irritation.

Definitely a difference compared to the Timor. Seems to cut better. Unfortunately a few weepers on the neck area which indicates to me I’m still not getting the angle/pressure bit right.

Because of the weepers, I jam an Alum block on there. I think this is part of the irritation cause, as it definitely goes red where I use the block. I think my future technique will be my aftershave balm (which has witch hazel in) followed by tissue paper if needs be! And give the Alum a miss.

But I definitely enjoyed the razor more. I’ve still got loads of different blades to try. Going to give the SP a few more shaves before moving onto something else.

Still an issue with the bottom inch of my neck - it’s like the hairs grow flat to the skin. So the only way to cut them is ATG which I think is what’s causing the weepers. Any suggestions for this?

Thanks again,

Mike

I agree about changing blades, not only brands but not trying to get too many shaves from a given blade. I knew a guy in college in the late 1960s who had a really heavy beard, but he always looked like he had a close shave with no irritation or cuts. His secret? He only used a blade once before chucking it. I only use a blade twice, maybe three times before putting in a new one. Switch it out as soon as you feel tugging. I feel that this is critically important even if it goes contrary to my inner cheapskate. And for now, you might settle for a socially acceptable shave, especially if you shave frequently. Moisturize well, then try with the grain only.

Just my two cents.

1. Piping hot water hotter the better....2. Lather is so important if its to dry it wont perform if its to wet it wont be protective at all you need to make it so its thick but not watery make a few test lathers as soap is cheap feel the results with your hand you will be able to tell when you get it pretty spot on because it will be slick and thick with alottt of peaks....3. Your technique whilst using a de is crucial to a good shave or a horrible one...if the angle is to shallow it may scrape off skin or plain feel horrible..if its to deep or hard it may cut you and give you razor burn ....4. Time ...it takes time to get good results....5. Dont fell bad if you have to finish with a cartridge its better to come out clean than come out sore and cut up....pressure is also everything you shouldnt press hard om the razor it should be fairly light just enough to put it against your skin and hold it pushing hard on a razor results in scraping off skin= razor burn...

Thanks all again for the help.

So, as a pay day treat, I got a 34C. Seems to be a bigger difference in quality compared to my Timor. And I wanted a well known bench mark to carry on my journey!

So first shave with the 34C today. Just now. Fresh Astra SP in with it. Unfortunately, my lather wasn’t good enough, wasn’t thick enough so it was quickly dissolving on my face, which won’t have helped with any irritation.

Definitely a difference compared to the Timor. Seems to cut better. Unfortunately a few weepers on the neck area which indicates to me I’m still not getting the angle/pressure bit right.

Because of the weepers, I jam an Alum block on there. I think this is part of the irritation cause, as it definitely goes red where I use the block. I think my future technique will be my aftershave balm (which has witch hazel in) followed by tissue paper if needs be! And give the Alum a miss.

But I definitely enjoyed the razor more. I’ve still got loads of different blades to try. Going to give the SP a few more shaves before moving onto something else.

Still an issue with the bottom inch of my neck - it’s like the hairs grow flat to the skin. So the only way to cut them is ATG which I think is what’s causing the weepers. Any suggestions for this?

Thanks again,

Mike
Only suggestion is stop trying to get that smooth. Even after all these years, I can but usually will cause issues.

Newbie here. I have neck issues too. All these tips are good. I used my phone to take pics of my neck hair for mapping. I found my neck hairs grow in many different directions mostly flat on the skin. I still have issues after 2 months but am doing much better. I too have a Merkur 34 and find mid range blades work for me. Hang in there bro! One step at a time.
One last thing, I try for a god job on the neck but sometimes it’s not working and I stop. Blood after one pass is my warning...maybe next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So another shave this evening, 24 hours since my last which always makes me nervous, even though some think it makes no difference. Keeping in mind I already had some irritation from yesterday’s shave (I had to shave tonight for something tomorrow)... it went fairly well.

It was the second shave on the Astra SP blade as they’re sharper on the second shave. This might have helped the tough, flat hairs on my neck line.

Lather was much better this evening. Didn’t add too much water like last night. Also added the step of a hot cloth over my neck before adding pre-oil and then lather which may have helped.

I’m still working out the angle on my neck. I don’t tend to go by blade angle, as I can’t really see it. However, 30deg blade angle relates to around 45deg handle angle on my razor. But on the neck, I think the handle needs to be further out than what I think, if that makes sense? Before, I think I’ve been using a too aggressive angle on the neck, causing irritation.

Anyway, a few days off shaving now which will hopefully allow the burn to heal.

Next blade in the 34C - Gillette Silver Blue.

Yes sir. I to had problems with angle. Still do. I think your paying attention to the right things. Each shave will keep getting better. Lather is another problem of mine. Bad lather=bad shave. Keep trying

...I’m still working out the angle on my neck. I don’t tend to go by blade angle, as I can’t really see it. However, 30deg blade angle relates to around 45deg handle angle on my razor. But on the neck, I think the handle needs to be further out than what I think, if that makes sense? Before, I think I’ve been using a too aggressive angle on the neck, causing irritation...
You can try to learn the right shaving angle by sound and feel. If you can turn off the running water, exhaust fan, etc. and just listen to the sound of the hair being cut. It helps to keep using short strokes of the razor on the neck area. This way, you do not have to keep changing the angle constantly.

Some razors give more feedback than others.

Someone mentioned this earlier, but it was buried within a list of tips. Blades, technique,pressure, etc are all important. But the key is to STRETCH THE SKIN - especially in the neck area. Neck skin is the loosest. There are some good youtubes that explain stretching the skin. If you stretch the skin on your neck, the razor should glide right over it. You should also stretch the skin when doing cheeks, under nose, etc. The youtubes show you how to do that.

So a better shave this evening. I think I’ve discovered, due to very close beard mapping, that my NS passes on my neck meant I was doing ATG on the first pass, which I think was causing the irritation. Coupled this with “over-stretching” made for some extra irritation.

Tonight, I tried a NW to SE pass instead, which, coupled with a better blade angle, has reduced the irritation again. Very happy. Things are getting better.

Now, next up, either Polsilver or Voskhod?!

So a better shave this evening. I think I’ve discovered, due to very close beard mapping, that my NS passes on my neck meant I was doing ATG on the first pass, which I think was causing the irritation. Coupled this with “over-stretching” made for some extra irritation.

Tonight, I tried a NW to SE pass instead, which, coupled with a better blade angle, has reduced the irritation again. Very happy. Things are getting better.

Now, next up, either Polsilver or Voskhod?!
Depends on what blades have been working better for you lately.
Polsilver will be more sharp out of the gate. Voskhod more smooth. Not a huge difference but it's noticeable to me. But some razors and my face like one blade over another. YMMV on that one.

I’m not sure at the moment. I’m still trying to find “my blade” while my technique improves.

I quite like the GSBs so far, probably best shaves from that so far. I could go down the 7 o clock yellows? Or platinums? Greens? Choices are endless, I have a few selections in the cupboard at the moment. But think I prefer a sharper blade.

I’m not sure at the moment. I’m still trying to find “my blade” while my technique improves.

I quite like the GSBs so far, probably best shaves from that so far. I could go down the 7 o clock yellows? Or platinums? Greens? Choices are endless, I have a few selections in the cupboard at the moment. But think I prefer a sharper blade.
Yeah GSB was/is my favorite since I started. But I am revisiting alot of them and liking them alot more now after 5 years.

It’s definitely my favourite so far. Had another good shave with a GSB today. 3rd shave for that blade. So just deciding on what to use next.

Think my technique is definitely improving. 2 shaves in a row with minimal irritation. Definitely down to mapping my beard too.

I think my advice to anyone reading this in a similar position:

Map your beard - by that, you don’t have to necessarily draw it. But take photos of your beard with 2/3days growth and see what way your hairs go. Mine are all over the shop on my neck, meaning my N-S passes were actually ATG on occasions.

Angle - When doing the neck, lay the razors head against your neck, then lower it until the blade is against the skin. This helps you find the right angle for the neck, where is changes so much!

Stretching - Sometimes, you can skin stretch TOO MUCH and cause irritation. Don’t overdo it!

Well done! Yes pay attention to what is actually WTG for that trouble area low on your neck. Also do second pass XTG instead of ATG. That should help clear up lots of that irritation. JM

Neck mapping/hair direction is my biggest issue. I have a swirly to the right of my throat. Drives me insane!

I am having to adjust my ridiculous expectations for a BBS shave on my neck. When I was a cartridge shaver (a month ago) I used to do two passes on my neck, once from chest to the bottom of my beard and once from beard to my chest. For the most part that is across the grain both ways except for a strip just right of center where one way it is with the grain and the other it is against the grain. I was happy with that before I switched to DE shaving. Just for my own education I used the same cartridge razor and shaved like I used to. Surprisingly I found it wasn't BBS but it was satisfactory. Some small amount of rubble remained. I think is where my goal should be so as to reduce the neck pain created when I try that third pass against the grain. I know that I will need to do some touchups because I hate when my neck stubble snags on my shirt collar and gets tugged. I picked up the bad habit of doing touchups without adding lather when using the cartridge razor. That is something I have to be disciplined about with the DE. Oh and I did go ahead and do an across the grain on my neck with the cartridge razor and it left me with a sore neck, just like I experienced when doing the same with a DE. I just ordered a small bottle of vegetable glycerin on Amazon for less that $3 that I am going to use to try making uberlather. I get it, it's a process.

Top Bottom