What's new

Straight Razor Storage

Found new storage for my SRs, especially for the possibility of multiple SRs for travel. On the other hand, I now suddenly found I have extra real estate for more SRs...😆😆😆
20220605_202409.jpg

20220602_170543.jpg

Very beautiful and eminently functional. Nice design....
Thanks!
Keep an eye on the steel. Chrome tanned leather can be problematic for rusting high carbon steel.
Chrome is bad because of residual salts in the leather, but storing steel in any sort of leather long term is not great practice, as it can be a moisture trap.
Hey, many thanks to both of you for the invaluable tip & advice. I will not store my SRs with the leather but rather use it for travel...if I do travel with multiple straights...😅

I live in NJ and am paranoid about moisture, especially in the summer. I put my razors in silicon treated sleeves from The Superior Shave in inexpensive Ziploc plastic tubs, and then place one or two or three razors that I am currently using on my dresser.
I believe that I have bought the very last Superior Shave razor roll, and I already have one. Griffith shaving sell another very similar one for about the same price.

I live in the midwest, and it's always humid. Here's how I store my straight razors:
1. Make sure the razor is clean and dry.
2. Put a light coating of oil on the blade and pivot.
3. I store my straights in plastic toothbrush cases. You can buy a pack of three at the dollar store. Each end of the case has a cotton ball in it to prevent rattling. Insert the razor, then insert a small silica (desiccant) packet.
4. Close the toothbrush case. Guess what? It fits most straights, so now it's your straight razor case.
5. The cases now go into a plastic shoe box, which has a very large desiccant packet in it. There's also room for a bottle of oil, soft strips of cotton, and a small strop.

My shoe box gets stored in the closet of my bedroom, NOT the humid bathroom. It's cheap, organized, and effective.

Last edited:
All my SR's are stored in the bathroom drawer. My wife complains about how they mysteriously multiply:)
I oil mine after each use. Never had any issues with rust.
I also keep some silica bags around them.
I need more storage to house the rest..
20220611_111737.jpg

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I believe that I have bought the very last Superior Shave razor roll, and I already have one. Griffith shaving sell another very similar one for about the same price.

The company that makes these is ‘Sack Ups’ in North Carolina (US) and they make a wide range of silicone oil treated products for knives, razors, and guns. Many vendors carry the knife rolls and larger gun socks.

The individual razor-sized socks are a little more difficult to find. They’ll sell direct but have a minimum order that might put off individuals. The minimum isn’t bad for a small number of people, and they’ll make what you want, so maybe something that our tropical zone friends might consider. Or just buy a large Sack Ups rifle sock and have it cut and sewn into sleeves. Et voilá.

But you are not dependent on a manufacturer or dealer, you can ‘roll your own’ just as easily and cheaper especially if you or someone conveniently nearby sews. Sack Ups are just an absorbent cloth bag doused with some silicone oil. Silicone oil is cheap and you could just apply some to sone flannel or maybe even microfiber cloth and roll your razors up it. You can buy silicone oil off Amazon but get the thin stuff, you want it to flow, and it will, the stuff has near zero surface tension I think.

"Roll your own" definitely sounds like the way to go. I would layer a flannel cloth with a microfiber cloth, spray up some silicone oil and tie it up with a bit of paracord.

Legion

Staff member
The company that makes these is ‘Sack Ups’ in North Carolina (US) and they make a wide range of silicone oil treated products for knives, razors, and guns. Many vendors carry the knife rolls and larger gun socks.

The individual razor-sized socks are a little more difficult to find. They’ll sell direct but have a minimum order that might put off individuals. The minimum isn’t bad for a small number of people, and they’ll make what you want, so maybe something that our tropical zone friends might consider. Or just buy a large Sack Ups rifle sock and have it cut and sewn into sleeves. Et voilá.

But you are not dependent on a manufacturer or dealer, you can ‘roll your own’ just as easily and cheaper especially if you or someone conveniently nearby sews. Sack Ups are just an absorbent cloth bag doused with some silicone oil. Silicone oil is cheap and you could just apply some to sone flannel or maybe even microfiber cloth and roll your razors up it. You can buy silicone oil off Amazon but get the thin stuff, you want it to flow, and it will, the stuff has near zero surface tension I think.
Very easy to make, I would think.

My only concern is if there might be any long term effects of the silicon oil on the scales. Also, the razors blade is, after all, mostly not in contact with the sleeve. It is just sitting between two oiled up scales, doing whatever it is going to do in the humidity it's in.

My only concern is if there might be any long term effects of the silicon oil on the scales. Also, the razors blade is, after all, mostly not in contact with the sleeve. It is just sitting between two oiled up scales, doing whatever it is going to do in the humidity it's in.
I’m also hesitant to introduce silicon into the den. I bought some silicon impregnated, microfiber, gun cleaning, clothes but haven’t used them yet. My understanding is that this stuff spreads like nobody’s business, is difficult to fully remove, is hydrophobic, and is slippery as all get out. In many ways that makes it perfect. I just don’t know how good it is for scales, leather strops and stones. I’m going to stick with a light coating of Ballistol for now. That seems to be working well in combination with humidity control.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!

I have not had any issues with ivory, tortoise, or cyanoacrylate finished woods. The socks will make permeable woods darker. I have not used them with bone scaled razors, as oil on bone can make them turn translucent according to Alfredo.

I’m also hesitant to introduce silicon into the den. I bought some silicon impregnated, microfiber, gun cleaning, clothes but haven’t used them yet. My understanding is that this stuff spreads like nobody’s business, is difficult to fully remove, is hydrophobic, and is slippery as all get out. In many ways that makes it perfect. I just don’t know how good it is for scales, leather strops and stones. I’m going to stick with a light coating of Ballistol for now. That seems to be working well in combination with humidity control.

The main issue is if you paint or coat surfaces. If there’s any silicone oil on the surface the paint will ‘fisheye’. In the old days of automotive painting, you never allowed silicone oil into the shop. Alfredo does cyanoacrylate coated wood scales and uses the socks in plastic tubs and hasn’t mentioned any issues. If you’re painting, it’s always good to wash up and meticulously clean surfaces beforehand, regardless. Cooking oil, motor oil, and lubricating oils (WD-40, Ballistol) will do the same thing, they’re just not as bad as silicone oil.

Hopefully people are still active on this thread and I don't have to start a new one.

What type of liner is best to protect the razors from birth scratches and rust? Felt, flocking, foam, gun/silicon cloth, etc? My chest is heavy and portable, but I will typically take what I need out or have a removable tray, and will leave the chest where it is.

Hopefully people are still active on this thread and I don't have to start a new one.

What type of liner is best to protect the razors from birth scratches and rust? Felt, flocking, foam, gun/silicon cloth, etc? My chest is heavy and portable, but I will typically take what I need out or have a removable tray, and will leave the chest where it is.
I don't know, because I haven't tried them all, but I use felt, and it seems to work very well. I mean real wool felt, not acrylic. It seems to allow some air to circulate, to judge by its appearance under the microscope.

I might have been a bit anal with my straight razor storage to date. The humidity controlled, tupperware tubs were a bit unsightly and I’m trying something new.

I’ve rearranged a few things in my new whetstone storage unit and dedicated one of the drawers to razors. This drawer neatly fits all of my 14 home use razors. These are oiled and stored in a closet out of the bathroom. I will add a hygrometer for piece of mind but I don’t think the house is too bad especially if the razors are oiled and used regularly.

I find the closed foam finger spacers quite handy for keeping everything upright, separated and secure. They seem to fit straight razors perfectly. I might stick them down with double sided tape eventually. Once you get a couple of razors in they become self supporting.

Attachments

• C09BE316-26BC-42E8-87D0-9A13D8E623B2.jpeg
    C09BE316-26BC-42E8-87D0-9A13D8E623B2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 15
  • 2CC9BC01-DB86-430B-BD3D-692942C9406D.jpeg
    2CC9BC01-DB86-430B-BD3D-692942C9406D.jpeg
    996.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 50CF7ABD-8C7D-47E0-9C7C-8228CC1E4AF4.jpeg
    50CF7ABD-8C7D-47E0-9C7C-8228CC1E4AF4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
My gentleman’s country set has just received a display case courtesy of Thiers Issard. A pretty basic box but it keeps everything together. I keep these razors oiled between uses and stored in a cabinet outside of the bathroom. In rotation each of these razors will get used about 3-4 times per year.

02C62C6B-04C8-4C87-8642-97BF4C6D65EC.jpeg

Attachments

• 48BB987D-D0C9-4639-92B2-9EDEC2810A34.jpeg
    48BB987D-D0C9-4639-92B2-9EDEC2810A34.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Top Bottom