What's new

STRAIGHT RAZOR ADDICTION HELP

I AM HAVING AN ADDICTION PROBLEM I HAVE BEEN LOOKING ON LINE FOR VINTAGE STRAIGHT RAZORS AND WANT TO BUY THEM ALL IS THERE A HELP GROUP I CAN GO TO LIKE STRAIGHT RAZOR ANONYMOUS(SRA) LIKE AA HAVE BEEN USING S.R. FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS HOW BAD CAN THIS ADDICTION GET.

anonymous

If you ever feel like you have too many feel free to send some my way! I'd be glad to take some off your hands and help you with your problem

I AM HAVING AN ADDICTION PROBLEM I HAVE BEEN LOOKING ON LINE FOR VINTAGE STRAIGHT RAZORS AND WANT TO BUY THEM ALL IS THERE A HELP GROUP I CAN GO TO LIKE STRAIGHT RAZOR ANONYMOUS(SRA) LIKE AA HAVE BEEN USING S.R. FOR ABOUT 3 YEARS HOW BAD CAN THIS ADDICTION GET.

anonymous

Dear Anonymous,

Unfortunately you could not come to a worse place to resolve your razor buying addiction.

Don’t get me wrong, this is a wonderful place for addicts to enjoy being with other addicts, but few of us have successfully overcome our addiction - which is partially why we are here.

This place will feed your addiction, but that’s ok - because this addiction does no long term damage except maybe to your pocketbook.

Sincerely,
A fellow addict who has RAD and BAD flare ups occurring at the moment.

Just got my first straight and I’m about a week in... I need a honing stone....and probably another handfull of straights to spread out the wear... and a septic pencil cause I’ve only been using a straight for a week and have been getting bold!

great advice that was given to me here..
If you feel uncomfortable with what you’ve accumulated it’s excessive. PM me and I’ll pay the shipping 😂

According to Aristotle the sum of a man’s vices is constant, meaning that you can’t reduce your total but you can add new vices and thus reducing old ones or you can change the distribution of your current vices. The total of the vice differs from individual to individual depending on the God given character of a person.

It’s not too uncommon among men settling with one partner for the rest of their life to start with golf, cigars, good liquor, nice German cars, excessive training and so on so forth. New vices to compensate for the loss of old ones. I am rather young for being a widower, so I do have some vice to redistribute.

So if you’re a heavy smoker, or having any other bad habit, you could replace that vice with spending more money on your shaving gear.

After having amassed a huge collection of fine straight razors over the last decade I’ve redirected my most urgent cravings elsewhere. Has my total vice gone down? No, not by any means, I still love my razors, but I’m looking forward to one glass of really good rum this evening, after having taken a stroll in the woods with my cub, while planning for my dinner with a beautiful and very well preserved blond woman in a few days.

The sum of the vices is constant, and there are much worse things to spend your hard earned money on than straight razors. Just make a thought through plan before you go on a shopping spree. Collecting information on razors, getting information on how to spot a razor in good condition versus a worn out one is essential. In that way you can do precision bombing with high effect at a low cost. Carpet bombing is always expensive, ineffective and frustrating. There are tons of good information to be found at this site. Just by spending a few hours reading the Shave of the day thread and studying the beauties posted there will be an excellent start.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Be patient. The straight razor addiction will pass in time and will be replaced with a new AD like stones or strops or shaving brushes or SE razors. The possibilities are endless. Time heals all ADs.

According to Aristotle the sum of a man’s vices is constant, meaning that you can’t reduce your total but you can add new vices and thus reducing old ones or you can change the distribution of your current vices. The total of the vice differs from individual to individual depending on the God given character of a person.

It’s not too uncommon among men settling with one partner for the rest of their life to start with golf, cigars, good liquor, nice German cars, excessive training and so on so forth. New vices to compensate for the loss of old ones. I am rather young for being a widower, so I do have some vice to redistribute.

So if you’re a heavy smoker, or having any other bad habit, you could replace that vice with spending more money on your shaving gear.

After having amassed a huge collection of fine straight razors over the last decade I’ve redirected my most urgent cravings elsewhere. Has my total vice gone down? No, not by any means, I still love my razors, but I’m looking forward to one glass of really good rum this evening, after having taken a stroll in the woods with my cub, while planning for my dinner with a beautiful and very well preserved blond woman in a few days.

The sum of the vices is constant, and there are much worse things to spend your hard earned money on than straight razors. Just make a thought through plan before you go on a shopping spree. Collecting information on razors, getting information on how to spot a razor in good condition versus a worn out one is essential. In that way you can do precision bombing with high effect at a low cost. Carpet bombing is always expensive, ineffective and frustrating. There are tons of good information to be found at this site. Just by spending a few hours reading the Shave of the day thread and studying the beauties posted there will be an excellent start.

Enjoy.

there's some wisdom right there gang!!!

camo

With all due respect, wrong place to ask.
We pride ourselves in enabling eatchother. 😇

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I will and can offer you some help. I was also suffering from SRAD. I found a solution that worked for me.

When you want/need to get another SR, get seven of the same and make a matching seven-day set. Having and using a M7DS is just like having a single SR. I was getting a new SR every few weeks, now I only get a new M7DS about once every few months.

That solved my SRAD.

it's as bad as SRRD (straight razor restoration disorder)......which is very similar but involves work.

the one plus side to this is that you end up with a nice razor that would have cost two to three times the amount of $$$ you put into it!!!!

cant wait for the Filarmonica I ordered to arrive.

she will be a beauty by the time I am done with her.

FDT13FOUR.png

FDT13THREE.png

plus just found some original looking domed washer/collars that I ordered. these look very similar to older ones that I see on a lot of razors. exactly what I've been on the hunt for.

camo

Last edited:
it's as bad as SRRD (straight razor restoration disorder)......which is very similar but involves work.

the one plus side to this is that you end up with a nice razor that would have cost two to three times the amount of $$$ you put into it!!!!

cant wait for the Filarmonica I ordered to arrive.

she will be a beauty by the time I am done with her.

View attachment 1121459

View attachment 1121460

plus just found some original looking domed washer/collars that I ordered. these look very similar to older ones that I see on a lot of razors. exactly what I've been on the hunt for.

camo
THIS S.R. LOOKS LIKE IT IS A GOOD SHAPE, JUST NEEDS A LITTLE TENDER CARE SPINE LOOK GREAT
THAT WHAT I KIND OF LOOK FOR FIRST. PUT PICS UP WHEN U ARE DONE.
DAVE

anonymous
You will feel a lot better when you buy another. one...

THIS S.R. LOOKS LIKE IT IS A GOOD SHAPE, JUST NEEDS A LITTLE TENDER CARE SPINE LOOK GREAT
THAT WHAT I KIND OF LOOK FOR FIRST. PUT PICS UP WHEN U ARE DONE.
DAVE

will do......
high probability of unpinning, cleaning tang, and adding washers........unless it just happens to be in immaculate shape. wont know until inspection.

this one I'm really geeked about.......

camo

Top Bottom