What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

I splurged. Early 1700s Henry Birks.
20210327_125309.jpg
20210327_125317.jpg
20210327_125339.jpg
20210327_125411.jpg

Can you tell us a little more about the razor, @kcb5150?

I found a photo of a Birks, William & John with that same (shall I say) distinctive blade shape. Was the blade shaped this way when made? Is the plan to shave with the razor?

And congrats!

The dip at toe shape was a common 1700s form. The blade is pretty much as it was made. Only thing missing are the inlays in the scales where the shapes are. The wear is pretty minimal. I have a couple of more commonly encountered ones from the 1700s that I keep in shaving shape so I am probably just going to leave this one be beyond making sure it is in safe overall condition as far as anything active. It wouldn't take any real effort to get it going, the grind is very even. I may put a fresh bevel on it someday and reel the edge to shave sharp just to delete any minor edge damage, but I don't feel too compelled right now.

Trip to TI. After receiving a first TI with an uneven grind in December, I worked at an arrangement with the seller to replace the razor with a 7/8 inch Basic Black with singing hollow grind, thumb notch, mirror finish and plastic scales. As I was waiting for the seller to receive new stock, I went out and bought the least expensive 6/8 inch TI I could find: Special Coiffeur with half hollow grind, satin finish and plastic scales.

The quality of both razors is excellent, with very even grinds, and they shave like dreams. They have a lightness to them and a certain je ne sais quoi. The 7/8 inch razor does not feel large and heavy. If you have never owned a new TI, you should think about pursuing one. The singing hollow grind on the Basic Black is not wafer thin. I would describe it as just full hollow. And the half hollow grind on the Special Coiffeur is not particularly thick.

I am already thinking about replacing the plastic scales on the Basic Black with black horn to get back to where I started (the original razor had black horn scales) :). Without further ado:

7/8 inch Basic Black:

20210328_153357213_iOS.jpg

6/8 inch Special Coiffeur:

20210328_153438828_iOS.jpg

20210330_184604.jpg

My first new SR except for the Gold Dollar that I started on. I'm only 5 shaves in on the straights but the maiden voyage on this was the best yet. Shave ready straight from Germany, all I did was strop leather. I was stunned in a good way and now definitely hooked. In for a penny, in for a euro.

cheers

So got two razors in the mail yesterday. The first was my first eBay strike-out. A Joseph Rodgers with a chip that led into a crack upon closer inspection. Best I can say is “it was a lesson learned that didn’t put a huge hole in my wallet.” But the other is a bit exciting (to me at least). A Wostenholm&Sons. I have been partial to a particular shape, a shoulderless hollow. I have several examples of this including a Torrey “Our 136”, an Engstrom, and a Joseph Elliot. But this seems a bit older. It is 6/8 rather than 5/8 and the grind is ... I would call this a faux frameback rather than a hollow. Photo isn’t the best but it starts out quite fat at the spine, has a very small radius internal corner below the spine and then looks like a narrow wedge the rest of the way down to the blade. Relatively good condition (by my standards), hope to clean it up over the next few weeks and have it in my rotation before the end of next month!

62E3104D-F271-4606-A92E-43A38B5735F8.jpeg
F4F1FFF6-0542-4C21-89CB-8DB3B3BB7074.jpeg

View attachment 1244192

My first new SR except for the Gold Dollar that I started on. I'm only 5 shaves in on the straights but the maiden voyage on this was the best yet. Shave ready straight from Germany, all I did was strop leather. I was stunned in a good way and now definitely hooked. In for a penny, in for a euro.

cheers
I love the two Ralf Aust Razors that I own - both Spanish Points. One of them I ordered direct from RA, and it came shave ready. I am tempted pick up another one. Congratulations on your acquisition!

Arrived today: Watts Sheffield Quarter Hollow Grind 6/8 - Pressed Leather Scales. I don't really know much about it. I assume the scales are original. The pins are new. I shaved with it today. I have never shaved with a wedge or near wedge before. It was a really enjoyable shave! The bad news is I thought I would be one-and-done with the wedge/near wedge razors; now I may have to investigate more.....

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Arrived today: Watts Sheffield Quarter Hollow Grind 6/8 - Pressed Leather Scales. I don't really know much about it. I assume the scales are original....
Follow up: They are not original scales. I messaged the seller and he said that they are not original. "I have sold razors in the past with pressed leather scales. They normally were dried out and needed a good soak in neetsfoot oil. These scales were pristine. They are either new old stock that someone discovered or newly manufactured. I don't think they were original to the razor. Especially the way the non pivot pin is peeked."

This arrived earlier this week. I really shouldn't have bought this. I am not interested in collecting razors, but here I am. These were not available for a while, then Copper & Clad had a few in stock. I think they are a little over-priced but couldn't help myself. They were going fast, but the last one has been available for a while.

Buck Knives 039 Salient Straight Razor By Caleb Cooper Ironwood Limited Edition (#80/250)
proxy.php
proxy.php

Top Bottom