What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Tbh I’d completely forgotten I’d bought this razor a while back, cos I got it delivered to the wrong address and have only just got it from my family today.

A very nice surprise to unwrap for a random ebay pickup. Big old 6/8 or 13/16 C&S, and so shiny and polished that it was a bit difficult to take a picture of. It’s also quite nearly what I’d call shave ready, certainly has a perfectly set bevel at any rate.

Can anyone tell me what ‘1166’ means? Is it a steel or something...?

3298DF0D-4655-45B5-8C6C-800522885294.jpeg

C8161379-854C-411E-ADCD-C47808DB7B4F.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
Tbh I’d completely forgotten I’d bought this razor a while back, cos I got it delivered to the wrong address and have only just got it from my family today.

A very nice surprise to unwrap for a random ebay pickup. Big old 6/8 or 13/16 C&S, and so shiny and polished that it was a bit difficult to take a picture of. It’s also quite nearly what I’d call shave ready, certainly has a perfectly set bevel at any rate.

Can anyone tell me what ‘1166’ means? Is it a steel or something...?

View attachment 1632648

View attachment 1632649
I think 1166 is just the model number, though all the others I've seen have just had the usual white or black plastic scales with the raised C&S logo like mine.

5D488FDA-E8C9-4BDB-AE44-5E0D8AFCC73A.jpeg

Excellent find!

The razor was manufactured by Carl Friedrich Ern. One of if not the largest maker of straight razors in Soligen, Germany. The Crown & Sword trademark is one of many held by him and was issued in 1920. 1166 is the model number. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than myself will kindly correct me if I am mistaken. I have four ERN razors and they are all excellent shavers.

Enjoy your shave!

I think 1166 is just the model number, though all the others I've seen have just had the usual white or black plastic scales with the raised C&S logo like mine.

View attachment 1632729

I just went back and checked the sales post (it was quite a while ago), and... yes, you were right the scales are horn, and they're brand new. It's also 7/8, it does seem bigger than normal.

I can't have been at the top of my game in terms of 'looking at stuff properly' yesterday evening.

Legion

Staff member
I just went back and checked the sales post (it was quite a while ago), and... yes, you were right the scales are horn, and they're brand new. It's also 7/8, it does seem bigger than normal.

I can't have been at the top of my game in terms of 'looking at stuff properly' yesterday evening.
I would say mine is closer to 6/8

Not strictly a razor...but it will become part of one!
Bookmatched pair of scales about 5mm thick from Black and White Ebony...
I think I can get 2 razor scales from each piece...which would make 2 bookmatched sets of razor scales.

Now to decide what blade will get them first...

20230406_064009.jpg

The razor was manufactured by Carl Friedrich Ern. One of if not the largest maker of straight razors in Soligen, Germany. The Crown & Sword trademark is one of many held by him and was issued in 1920. 1166 is the model number. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than myself will kindly correct me if I am mistaken. I have four ERN razors and they are all excellent shavers.
I don't know what the number means. But I do know that my ERN Crown & Sword is quite the shaver!

Cheers guys!

The reason I asked about whether it might be steel (which it clearly isn't after I did a bit of a google search) was that it struck me as unusual that a model no. would get made in various different sizes...

My new one with the horn scales is 7/8. They normally seem to be 6/8. And actually I did already have one that I still need to tidy up, which is 5/8. Slightly different writing on the tang but it's still a '1166':

IMG-6584.jpg

IMG-6591.jpg

IMG-6594 (1).jpg

IMG-6592 (1).jpg

Legion

Staff member
Cheers guys!

The reason I asked about whether it might be steel (which it clearly isn't after I did a bit of a google search) was that it struck me as unusual that a model no. would get made in various different sizes...

My new one with the horn scales is 7/8. They normally seem to be 6/8. And actually I did already have one that I still need to tidy up, which is 5/8. Slightly different writing on the tang but it's still a '1166':

View attachment 1634108

View attachment 1634106

View attachment 1634105

View attachment 1634107
That happens sometimes with German razors. I’ve seen Gotta 120 in a couple of sizes. Perhaps the number refers more to a style and blade shape, rather than a model, per se.

I also have an 1166, also measures out as a 7/8. Great razor.

Went on a little buying spree the past few weeks. Last razor arrived today. Soanan Biguet from Thiers France. A 6/8 19th Century wedge. No signs of rust a fair bit of wear, black (dark brown?) horn scales that could use a bit of work. Seller references 1873, which certainly sounds about right, but I have contacted him to try to get more info on where the date came from.

IMG_1885.jpeg
IMG_1886.jpeg
IMG_1889.jpeg

So...today's haul...bought from a local elderly lady who's father owned these from new.
He was born in 1911, and had them until he died.
Spotted it late last night on Facebook marketplace, messaged to say I'll grab them and be there early in the morning, by the time I got there she had about a dozen messages wanting them.

1000002964.jpg

1000002965.jpg

1000002966.jpg

1000002967.jpg

Zepp, Solingen brand I've never heard of.
Bone scales, looks quite nice.
Slight frown to take out, but nothing lapping film can't sort. I'll breadknife it if I have to.

1000002968.jpg

1000002969.jpg

1000002970.jpg

The real prize...pre-1924 Bengall 6/8 in very nice condition.
I would have happily paid more for this alone than I paid for the 3...

1000002971.jpg

1000002972.jpg

1000002973.jpg

Post 1924 Bengall 5/8 in pretty decent nick, but a bit of corrosion on the blade.
Not sure if I'm looking at cel rot or not... if it is, I'll be rescaling it.

The sellers seemed quite happy that they are going to someone who will restore and use them.

My new Steve Collier razor.

I was intrigued by the positive posts on Badger&Blade about Steve Collier's razors. I contacted him and exchanged a series of emails concerning what I was interested in and what he could provide. I commissioned him to make me a razor.

I was particularly drawn to his blades shaped like the Whacker Chevalier. That is a blade profile which has intrigued me for years. In addition, Steve agreed to replace the pivot pin with a Torx screw. In 2005 I purchased a 7/8" Original Bartmann and a 8/8" Wacker "Worked Back". I had trouble through the years keeping the pin tight. Finally I had had enough dealing with a floppy scale on each of the razors. In 2018 I purchased a semi-custom razor from a maker who used a Torx screw to attach his blade to the scales. That change enabled me to easily retighten the blade if necessary. I found that the Torx screw would loosen a bit over time, but a drop of blue Locktite solved that problem. I am sold on the Torx modification and Steve made the modification for me although it required him to order some Torx screws for me and to drill a larger hole in the blade.

My new razor arrived this weekend. I could not be more pleased. Steve's workmanship is superb. The blade is a full hollow and the profile is even better in hand than it appears in pictures. I was a bit surprised that the blade is 1/4" shorter than my other razors. However, I found that makes it lighter and more maneuverable. All I did was strop the blade and shave. I did not need to tweak the hone Steve put on the blade.

All in all this has been a great purchase. I can heartily recommend Steve Collier.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-04-08_14-19-09.jpeg
    IMG_2023-04-08_14-19-09.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
My new Steve Collier razor.

I was intrigued by the positive posts on Badger&Blade about Steve Collier's razors. I contacted him and exchanged a series of emails concerning what I was interested in and what he could provide. I commissioned him to make me a razor.

I was particularly drawn to his blades shaped like the Whacker Chevalier. That is a blade profile which has intrigued me for years. In addition, Steve agreed to replace the pivot pin with a Torx screw. In 2005 I purchased a 7/8" Original Bartmann and a 8/8" Wacker "Worked Back". I had trouble through the years keeping the pin tight. Finally I had had enough dealing with a floppy scale on each of the razors. In 2018 I purchased a semi-custom razor from a maker who used a Torx screw to attach his blade to the scales. That change enabled me to easily retighten the blade if necessary. I found that the Torx screw would loosen a bit over time, but a drop of blue Locktite solved that problem. I am sold on the Torx modification and Steve made the modification for me although it required him to order some Torx screws for me and to drill a larger hole in the blade.

My new razor arrived this weekend. I could not be more pleased. Steve's workmanship is superb. The blade is a full hollow and the profile is even better in hand than it appears in pictures. I was a bit surprised that the blade is 1/4" shorter than my other razors. However, I found that makes it lighter and more maneuverable. All I did was strop the blade and shave. I did not need to tweak the hone Steve put on the blade.

All in all this has been a great purchase. I can heartily recommend Steve Collier.

Top Bottom