What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

I picked up a few today, here's one of them. It's a CASE BROTHERS Springville, NY. I believe the date to be 1913-1914. What else can you tell me about it? The scales are wood, are the original?

2019-01-31 18.28.54.jpg

2019-01-31 17.21.00.jpg

Here's a few more.

George Wostenholm & Sons IXL.
2019-01-31 18.45.37.jpg

Lakeside Cutlery Co. I don't know who George E. Emeery was, maybe he owned the razor.
2019-01-31 18.48.31.jpg

FRIEDR ERN & CO.
2019-01-31 18.50.02.jpg

2019-01-31 17.23.43.jpg

I picked these up a few weeks ago and just got the back from being honed. Now to decide which to use for my first shave.

2019-01-31 19.20.37.jpg

All things considered, I prefer a 5/8 blade. Given how many exist, I suspect that was the most popular with the professionals. The wide blades seems to enjoy a short period. So, many great 5/8 exist for $20 and less.

The secret is to search on something beside the well know brands if you want a deal.

i wonder if that is true about 5/8s... maybe easier to produce, less steel, quicker to make, less cost ... interesting in contrast to the FBU etch.

could it be be access and preference were different or changed over time? anyone have any old barber historical info? seems like the early/mid century blanks are ubiquitous and under lots of different marks.

i wonder if that is true about 5/8s... maybe easier to produce, less steel, quicker to make, less cost ... interesting in contrast to the FBU etch.

could it be be access and preference were different or changed over time? anyone have any old barber historical info? seems like the early/mid century blanks are ubiquitous and under lots of different marks.
There are/were 3/8 and 4/8 as well. 9/16 were plentiful.

Those are very nice, especially the very early ERN. I collect older ERN razors and that one would be a pride in any collection.

Thank you Arne, that's quite a compliment coming from you. I'm sure you have a wonderful collection.

Luecke2326 comment on it and said it was probably from around 1920. Do you think it's older than that? Since it doesn't have Germany on it, would it be pre 1891?

Thank you Arne, that's quite a compliment coming from you. I'm sure you have a wonderful collection.

Luecke2326 comment on it and said it was probably from around 1920. Do you think it's older than that? Since it doesn't have Germany on it, would it be pre 1891?
The etching is typical for Solingen razors made in the 1870's. So is the shape of the blade. Furthermore every ERN razor made from the late 1870's and onward I've seen has been stamped "ERN" and not "FRIEDRICH ERN & CO". Then there's the double headed eagle "Reichsadler" (Imperial eagle) on the tang that was replaced by the single headed eagle in 1871. So the stamp that put the eagle on the tang should have been made no later than early 1871, but it could have been in use for some years before being worn out. In short your razor was made sometime 1870-1875, about the same time as Germany first came into existence.

I guess this answer pretty much reveales how much I'd like to get your treasure into my greedy paws. Please treat it well and don't use it to train your honing skills. If you ever would like to get rid of this totally worthless piece of inferior steel I'd be fully willing to help you find a good Northern European home for it. I'm always willing to lend a helping hand.:angel:

Last edited:
Thanks Arne, and to think, I almost left it behind. I'll take care of it and I promise if I ever decide to get rid of it, you'll be the first to know. :001_smile

Here's a recent one that I don't think I've shown yet.

View attachment 949060

They was made around 1920's but be carefull as the scales are celluloid and if you notice any rust along the line of the scales remove and bin as they will rot the blade as its called cell rot.

C-MON is the acronym for Carl Monkhouse, who manufactured straight razors, scissors, and other forms of cutlery first in Germany, and later in the US. His son, Carl Monkhouse Jr., now runs Cuttlery Associates, based in Allegheny, NY

But your going to love the shaves from that razor, they are about the same as a Dubl Duck but be aware of the square tip they bite and hard.

Here is mine I restored last year

27.jpg

They was made around 1920's but be carefull as the scales are celluloid and if you notice any rust along the line of the scales remove and bin as they will rot the blade as its called cell rot.

C-MON is the acronym for Carl Monkhouse, who manufactured straight razors, scissors, and other forms of cutlery first in Germany, and later in the US. His son, Carl Monkhouse Jr., now runs Cuttlery Associates, based in Allegheny, NY

But your going to love the shaves from that razor, they are about the same as a Dubl Duck but be aware of the square tip they bite and hard.

Here is mine I restored last year

View attachment 949092

Thanks for the information, it was very interesting. I've heard about cell rot, I've actually encouraged a couple of razors in the wild with celluloid scales and blades that were crumbling. I didn't know what it was at the time.

Yours is beautiful, I plan to polish mine up and get it shave ready in the near future.

CA364327-D3D1-4DB2-B9B6-0D9EFFE91D06.jpeg
AC6B8C2A-F09D-4F09-9FB4-737291B8A2E2.jpeg
694AEB1F-0D4C-4AD0-BF95-347D0B46717A.jpeg
Also could resist this little beauty! Marked Becker & Brabender Solingen. 4/8th absolutely immaculate, unused condition. Shaves superbly well for such a dainty blade .

Top Bottom