What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Yes the biggest. I prefer the little ones but couldn’t pass up a NOS Herder. It came with a 12k edge which I didn’t find particularly comfortable and had to do a 3rd pass with a Method edge. Getting ready to start honing right now. I do really like the razor. It is also extra hollow I believe - loud.

Oh ow....are you breaking down barriors and heading to the antique side now? :001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

Wait ... Fridour, Filarmonica and Heljestrand don't count..lol... oh man?? :D

Find me NOS Wade and Butcher, then we'll talk, you know how "shallow" I am about pitting and rust. :001_tt2::001_tt2:

Ok, I got a little carried away and spent way too much on this NOS ERN last night, but whatever!!! I'll get fresh pictures when it's in my hands.
3017955248031iR.JPG
1711323248032iR.JPG
555018248038iR.JPG
3032174248041iR.JPG

Very nice!

What's the story on ERN? I've seen others with the crown and sword like yours but mine only has ERN on it. What's the difference?

View attachment 948155

And it has this on the back .
View attachment 948156
I stole this photo from Strazors.com, but it is known that ERN had a ton of different trade marks which they commonly used. The Crown and Sword was one of the more common trade marks which they used in addition to ERN and the venerated ATOR. They introduced a machine in the late 1800's that revolutionized the hollow grounding process and allowed for the production of some of the finest and thinnest ground razors ever made.
Logo_ern_2.jpg

I am but a learner on ERN, I'm sure a more seasoned ERN expert will come along shortly!

Found this a few days ago, received it today in the mail. Not the best pictures, but one side reads "The Lockwood Taylor Hardware Co. England" and the other plainly "Made in England". Looks like in decent shape but needs a good honing.
Any idea what it actually is? I can't find on this site any mention of this brand.

1.jpg
2.jpg

JMT_1114.jpg

Just got his guy today. It's a 7/8" Half-Hollow made by an American maker on ebay called J3 Customs. Havn't seen much about them, but thought Id give it a whirl and see what the quality is like. Seems solid to me, but the shave will tell this afternoon.

Wait ... Fridour, Filarmonica and Heljestrand don't count..lol... oh man?? :D

Find me NOS Wade and Butcher, then we'll talk, you know how "shallow" I am about pitting and rust. :001_tt2::001_tt2:
Boris soon you'll be as hooked as the rest of us and then you won't mind if the razor is covered with rust and found outside a home for people with leprosy because it's still a razor after all.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1-31-19.theTorreyRazorCompany.eBay.640..JPG

Looks much better than my photo shows. Quite shiny and without obvious flaws.

6/8" The Torrey Razor Company. USA.

Blade is a tad loose, but not a problem. I got it on eBay for $18.75 including shipping. That's close to my max for razors these days. Amazing what some vendors are getting for some razors, but not from me they're not.

Not saying some razors are not worth the big bucks or that you shouldn't buy them.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Amazing what some vendors are getting for some razors, but not from me they're not.

Not saying some razors are not worth the big bucks or that you shouldn't buy them.
Yeah, I was bidding yesterday on a Wade&Butcher but stopped at $23 (excluding shipping). Especially since it looked a little shoddy, and the blade seemed to have been modified.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Yeah, I was bidding yesterday on a Wade&Butcher but stopped at $23 (excluding shipping). Especially since it looked a little shoddy, and the blade seemed to have been modified.

I see a lot of razors offered for or going up to prices which would be too expensive for me even if they knocked off a hundred bucks or sometimes two hundred bucks.

Again, not saying they're too expensive or too expensive for your tastes or pocketbook.

Happy shaves,

Jim

All things considered, I prefer a 5/8 blade. Given how many exist, I suspect that was the most popular with the professionals. The wide blades seems to enjoy a short period. So, many great 5/8 exist for $20 and less.

The secret is to search on something beside the well know brands if you want a deal.

Top Bottom