What's new

Str8 razor sets

Good morning.

I'm sure this has been asked hundreds, if not thousands or times already.

However, since I wasn't able to find the information myself, I figured I'd ask you fine gentlemen.

What is the purpose of a 7 day str8 razor set?

Is there a need to let a razor "rest", much like how a pipe should not be smoked for 48 hours after being smoked and cleaned?

Or is it to reduce wear and tear due to increased use & stropping/honing?

I'm getting ready to get my feet wet with str8 shaving (I currently wet shave w/a DE) and I'm just researching.

No, I'm not going to jump in with a 7 day set. I'm just curious why they are necessary and/or desired.

Thanks!

I think the "resting" thing is debatable, but it always helps to have a back up razor or two (or 30:rolleyes: ) just in case. I would imagine the sets were something of a luxury.

Jordan

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
A 7 day set, at least back in the day of Gentlemen let you or your "man" hone and strop them one day a week, leaving you to use them throughout the week without a care (as any fine gentlemans life should be filled <g>).

Today of course, few of us can afford to have a "man" more than a day or two a week so we must burden ourselves with the care of our own grooming tools. It is a shame that what should be a life of leisure has degraded to such a point.

:lol:

Tony

A 7 day set, at least back in the day of Gentlemen let you or your "man" hone and strop them one day a week, leaving you to use them throughout the week without a care (as any fine gentlemans life should be filled <g>).

Today of course, few of us can afford to have a "man" more than a day or two a week so we must burden ourselves with the care of our own grooming tools. It is a shame that what should be a life of leisure has degraded to such a point.

Tony

Of course, my wife still has the luxury of having her "man"...

Ha! I work on the list of things to do while she's out that she gave me! :wink:

That's actually when I get to hone my razors...

Jordan

Back in the late 19 cent and early 20th cent having a seven day set was something all wealthy and upper, upper middle class people aspired to. It meant you had made it. Kind of the samething as driving a lexus or a BMW or wearing a Rolex does nowadays.

As I always understood it, the idea is so you don't have hone anywhere near as often. Lets say you shave every day, and you hone every 20 shaves or so, that's 140 days without honing.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Marketing ploy ... status symbol ... old wives' tale of resting the blade ... tomayto tomahto as far as I can see ... :biggrin:

What gets me, though, about these sets is they are all basically the same razor, seven times over, with maybe a day printed on the scales. If it were up to me, I'd want 7 different razors, say ...

Monday -- Henckels Friodur
Tuesday -- Wonderedge
Wednesday -- W&B
Thursday -- Joe Chandler
Friday -- Robert Williams
Saturday -- Livi/Takeda
Sunday -- TIPTLE

Marketing ploy ... status symbol ... old wives' tale of resting the blade ... tomayto tomahto as far as I can see ... :biggrin:

What gets me, though, about these sets is they are all basically the same razor, seven times over, with maybe a day printed on the scales. If it were up to me, I'd want 7 different razors, say ...

Tuesday -- Wonderedge
Wednesday -- W&B
Thursday -- Joe Chandler
Saturday -- Livi/Takeda
Sunday -- TIPTLE

Well, at least I could shave on Sunday. :001_tongu

Tuesday -- Wonderedge
Wednesday -- W&B
Thursday -- Joe Chandler
Saturday -- Livi/Takeda
Sunday -- TIPTLE

Nice rotation ya got there, Doc. Mine is more humble, 6 various TI SS 6/8 and one DOVO 6/8. It is easier to keep up with honing them all at the same time.

TI makes a nice 7 slot box for keeping them organized (though a lot of folks don't stop at seven - exaserbating the problem:confused: )

I actually do like the concept of a matched 7 day set. Maybe a 7 day Silverwing set, huh??:biggrin:

Ken

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Nice rotation ya got there, Doc. Mine is more humble, 6 various TI SS 6/8 and one DOVO 6/8. It is easier to keep up with honing them all at the same time.

TI makes a nice 7 slot box for keeping them organized (though a lot of folks don't stop at seven - exaserbating the problem:confused: )

I actually do like the concept of a matched 7 day set. Maybe a 7 day Silverwing set, huh??:biggrin:

Ken

Thanks, too bad most of it is just in my fevered imagination! :biggrin:

spot on. Back in the old days, up to the 19th century (maybe later in England and some other wealthy and civilized nations) , butlers in respected mansions had hands full in order to organize everything, and some critical duties had to be performed by the butler himself , from the supply of wines to the master's table (the most expensive and difficult chore) to (e.g.) the maintenance of the house's silverware. Large mansions were well-oiled complex machines, and cooking/cleaning/gardening etc was performed like a celebration following formalities and protocols under the severe scrutiny of the butler. Wasting precious time honing razors every so-and-so was obviously out of the question. Razor manufacturers were quick to prepare a clever (and expensive) solution: sets, in nice compact boxes, 7 days worth of perfect shaves, after which the butler could apply his expertise in honing razors to perfection. All in a single efficient session, well integrated in the precious servant's agenda. Nobody wanted rare expensive (and often taxed) spirits or precious silver spoons neglected 'cos someone was pulling everyday a razor alround a leather strop. Owning 7 razors was simply less expensive and cumbersome, except for really wealthy princes, dukes and the likes who had barbers at their service full-time.
And those boxes are beautiful, also.

As I always understood it, the idea is so you don't have hone anywhere near as often. Lets say you shave every day, and you hone every 20 shaves or so, that's 140 days without honing.

And after those 140 days you got 7 blunt razors...

I find it handy when travelling to take a few razors pre stropped. More than 5 days and it's less space to take two and the paddle strop. I like to have a spare, in case the first seems in need of honing one day, or (Gods forbid) you drop it. You also see matched sets or two quite a lot, for the prudent home user. Shaving manuals reccomend you have a spare on hand in case the first razor "refuses"- saves lather drying out while you try to get it sharp, you just set it aside until you have time to hone it.

Top Bottom