What's new

stoked I got my first pipe!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
used the Mr. Brog today. lovely! packed nicely, had a good draw. I used a Bic lighter, which was easier than matches, and in turn made it more pleasurable. I didn't notice any difference in taste but then again I likely wouldn't anyway as i haven't been smoking a pipe very long. Had to relight it twice. After the 2nd relight all it took was some sipping while tamping to keep it light and burning.

It's really freaking relaxing i'll tell ya that. I just roamed around my property, back yard, front yard, checking things out, smoking my pipe.

I also was able to make it to my tobacco store. they only have 2 brands of tined tobacco: Dunhill and Peterson. I bought the Peterson for $15. no idea if that is a good deal or bad deal. they had bout 8 different tins of each Dunhill and Peterson. I pretty much just randomly picked one since i've never tried any of them.

Last edited:
used the Mr. Brog today. lovely! packed nicely, had a good draw. I used a Bic lighter, which was easier than matches, and in turn made it more pleasurable.

It's really freaking relaxing i'll tell ya that. I just roamed around my property, back yard, front yard, checking things out, smoking my pipe.

This hobby is all about relaxation, and pleasure. Sounds like your skills are coming along nicely!! :thumbup:

I also was able to make it to my tobacco store. they only have 2 brands of tined tobacco: Dunhill and Peterson. I bought the Peterson for $15. no idea if that is a good deal or bad deal. they had bout 8 different tins of each Dunhill and Peterson. I pretty much just randomly picked one since i've never tried any of them.

The $15 price is $6 more than it would cost online at PipesandCigars.com, if you factor in the cost of shipping, you paid a few dollars extra to support a local shop. I would say that's probably fair.

The Gold Blend is described as:

"A Sweet, Delicate, Mellow tobacco. A Composition of Jet Black Cavendish, Bright and Dark Virginias and Fragrant Burley. An Extremely pleasant note of Hickory Nut, Vanilla and a touch of Cinnamon is added."

Sounds like it should be delicious stuff!!

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
This hobby is all about relaxation, and pleasure. Sounds like your skills are coming along nicely!! :thumbup:

The $15 price is $6 more than it would cost online at PipesandCigars.com, if you factor in the cost of shipping, you paid a few dollars extra to support a local shop. I would say that's probably fair.

The Gold Blend is described as:

"A Sweet, Delicate, Mellow tobacco. A Composition of Jet Black Cavendish, Bright and Dark Virginias and Fragrant Burley. An Extremely pleasant note of Hickory Nut, Vanilla and a touch of Cinnamon is added."

Sounds like it should be delicious stuff!!
i'm looking forward to getting my Zippo back!

I noticed my guy has raised his prices on the cigars i used to buy from him so not surprising its $6 more than online. $13.91 from the website. +tax at the shop was $16.

Acid 1400cc cigar at my shop was $9.95 and on pipesandcigars. it's 7.95, but currently out of stock. shopping online vs. stores is a lot of give and take. unless i find a better pipe tobacco shop locally i'll have to buy online.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
question bout the tin i purchased ..... should I transfer it to a mason jar? or just leave it in the tin?

question bout the tin i purchased ..... should I transfer it to a mason jar? or just leave it in the tin?

Seems it depends on how long you think it'll take to go through it. I've seen others say that tins are good for 3 or so weeks worth of storage, longer than that and you may want to go with the mason jars.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Seems it depends on how long you think it'll take to go through it. I've seen others say that tins are good for 3 or so weeks worth of storage, longer than that and you may want to go with the mason jars.
and I guess that depends on how good it is. i'll keep a mason jar handy just in case

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I like my tobacco to dry out a little bit before I put it in the mason jar. But that us just me.
My primary smoke is Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader. SG tobaccos are notoriously wet. I put them in Mason jars immediately, and dry only what I am about to smoke. It is easier to dry than rehydrate.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
so I take it "drying" the tobacco affects the taste? does it burn better?

also how would you rehydrate?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
An excessively moist tobacco burns too hot, which leads to steam being produced, which will lead to tongue bite.
ahhh, so i'll be able to tell quickly if the tobacco is moist and can make the judgement call from there.

many dynamics to tobacco and pipes to consider.

ahhh, so i'll be able to tell quickly if the tobacco is moist and can make the judgement call from there.

The following is as I understand it, and I am just a newbie so a seasoned member can feel free to correct me:

An excessively moist tobacco doesn't burn well. This leads to puffing often to attempt to keep it lit. This means the tobacco ends up burning too hot, which leads to tongue bite.

An excessively dry tobacco also leads to tongue bite, but for a different reason: it burns too quickly, which means it burns too hot, which in turn causes tongue bite.

An excessively dry tobacco can be re-hydrated, but this might lead to it developing mold; hence as oc_in_fw said it's easier to dry a tobacco, than re-hydrate it.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
so I take it "drying" the tobacco affects the taste? does it burn better?

also how would you rehydrate?
For me it burns better. Twenty minutes or so before I smoke, I put some tobacco on a saucer and just let it air out.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member

The following is as I understand it, and I am just a newbie so a seasoned member can feel free to correct me:

An excessively moist tobacco doesn't burn well. This leads to puffing often to attempt to keep it lit. This means the tobacco ends up burning too hot, which leads to tongue bite.

An excessively dry tobacco also leads to tongue bite, but for a different reason: it burns too quickly, which means it burns too hot, which in turn causes tongue bite.

An excessively dry tobacco can be re-hydrated, but this might lead to it developing mold; hence as oc_in_fw said it's easier to dry a tobacco, than re-hydrate it.

For me it burns better. Twenty minutes or so before I smoke, I put some tobacco on a saucer and just let it air out.

both very interesting. i'll have to experiment now. thanks guys!

Just wait until the summer hits! Then we can smoke outdoors again for hours on end!

I am really looking forward to my camping trips this year, as well as relaxing on my patio with whatever beverage strikes my mood, paired with some nice blend or another. I'm not lacking pipe time currently, since I smoke indoors, but it's just not the same as relaxing outside with a pipe.

Top Bottom