What's new

First pipe smoke.

So, last week I gave in and ordered a few things from 4noggins, which arrived a couple days ago.

Some background - I do have a large size "tupperdor" and do smoke cigars on occasion. far from everyday. normally at the right time, and most often when I'm wandering around in the backcountry and want a reward at the end of a long walk. As a canuck I have a bunch of cubans - and I like a variety of them.

I had been introduced to a pipe a little while ago on a backcountry trip. A friend had one along and something he called frog morton, and he shared. I remember enjoying it a lot. figured I try sometime. So... not knowing which frog morton or
anything else, I did a little reading here, and ended up getting a basic Missouri Meerschaum cob, pipe tool, cleaners and two tins of tobacco from 4noggins. My concern was I was a bit to "ambitious" on the tobacco. Since I new I enjoyed the frog morton on the trail and I enjoy more robust cigars, (and dark beer, and good espresso, and nice peaty dirty old man scotches) I thought I'd just get frog, and something else similar. Everything said it's an english blend but some people seemed very cautious of this. I threw caution to the wind, and not knowing what frog I had had, got Frog morton Cellar (based on reccomendations here) and Squadron leader.

This morning I have at home to myself, working from home, so I took a paper plate and spread out some Frog Morton Cellar on it while checking my mail and morning computer BS. After a little while (toast and a coffee and stuff) returned to the plate and got out the pipe. I loosely filled it by gravity and then pondered the frank method vids.. "take enough to fill the pipe.." yeah sure.. how do I do that when I don't *know* how much to fill the pipe.. lol.. well, look a few times at how much he uses and grab a blob about that size.. hold down gently and pick off the hangers, then push in from the sides.. repeatedly.. doesn't seem to hard but surely I did this wrong.. turn upside down.. nope.. stays in.. spongy to the
touch.. ok.. ponder a bit.. well, I don't know any better so may as well try..

Return with loaded pipe, tool, cleaner, and plate to the espresso machine, and throw another long double.
retire to the puttering chair in the garage. have a sit.. sip of coffee. and try the "charring light.." with a bic. hmm.. well it chars, but certainly doesn't light up like a cigar.. nice enough smell.. tamp a bit.. flat and black. flick the big and round and round.. large clouds of smoke, and an ember starts to build.. ok. a few puffs, have a look. looks good. sip my coffee. few more puffs and settle into it. ok, *very* nice.. I don't feel any danger of bite like I do with a strong cigar near the end, even though there's not a lot of tobacco in there (compared to a robusto!) love the smell of this stuff.
I keep remembering "keep it near going out" - and surprisingly, this is very nice. I don't like the taste of a cigar that's "nearly out" but this is nice this way. sip coffee.. sip pipe.. not bad at all in combination. I do smell a bit of whiskey
in this tobbaco, and it would probably be nice in the evening with a scotch, but it's amazingly good in the morning with
a coffee. (I'd probably never smoke a cigar in the morning).

I made it through about the top third of the bowl before it went out. I fiddled a bit with the tool, knocked a bit of ash
out, and retamped, and relit. second relight was good, and sat a while longer with it.. Unlike cigars which I do *not* enjoy leaving hanging in my mouth, I could leave the pipe there with an ever gentle waft of scent up into my nose and
the occasional puff.. that was pretty nice. continued along for a while with my brain in my "nothing box" for a bit.. pipe
went out about 2/3 of the way down.

I repeated the "fiddle with it, knock a bit of ash out, retamp and relight" procedure.. I hit it a bit harder on the relight and got the tinyest sensation of a bite and backed off. My coffee was gone by this time. so just took my time and no, more sips on the pipe don't bite, so fine.. continue.. This light lasted a little while and went out. so I took another look.
I did retamp but I was almost at the bottom. I did a quick relight, and a few puffs, but it did go out again. decided that
since I was pretty much at the bottom of the bowl, I didn't feel like relighting it and smoking wood (the pipe stem that
sticks into it) so I tapped it out.. a bunch of ash and about the tip of my thumb worth of tobacco left that was around where the stem sticks into the bowl.

Anyway, the frog morton is as I remember it. very pleasant to be around. I kinda like this.... seems not to difficult
if you don't overthink it. Probably a good thing I normally don't have time to do this with a morning coffee.. Next one
will probably be around the firepit with a whiskey ;)

Well done, phat! You are on your way.
Dont fret over relights. Even the most
experienced of pipe smokers don't have
a single light full pipe smoke that often.

I often end up relighting cigars, so the relight doesn't really bother me. although it's a bit more fiddling with a pipe.

I'd say that was an awesome first experience!! Don't fret the re lights, 3-4 per bowl is normal for me even after smoking a pipe daily for two years.

It's also personal preference on whether or not to dump the ash prior to relighting. I usually don't.

Lastly Bics work great; fancy lighters are fully unnecessary, but a Zippo pipe lighter is great if you smoke outside.

Greetings phat.

I have been smoking pipes for 10+ years and I should make it clear that I am not any kind of tobacco connoisseur or pipe smoking expert. That said, I have no compunction about relighting my pipes as often as I feel is necessary.

I am a big fan of Frog Morton blends, particularly Frog Morton and Frog Morton on the Town. I haven’t tried ‘Cellar' yet, but as it happens, I have a few tins in my cupboard. Thanks to your post I am excited to try it out today!

Thank you for your interesting and informative post.

Cheers!!!

Congrats on a successful first solo pipe experience! I have a tin of FM Cellar waiting to be opened... I still have a decent amount of baccy already opened that I wanted to get through first and I have only been able to get through a bowl (or two if I am lucky) a week on the weekends if the weather cooperates, but your post reminded me I really wanted to try this one... Spring is just over the horizon...
Do you mind if I ask where "The Great White North" is for you?

Congrats on a successful first solo pipe experience! I have a tin of FM Cellar waiting to be opened... I still have a decent amount of baccy already opened that I wanted to get through first and I have only been able to get through a bowl (or two if I am lucky) a week on the weekends if the weather cooperates, but your post reminded me I really wanted to try this one... Spring is just over the horizon...
Do you mind if I ask where "The Great White North" is for you?

Edmonton Alberta. Still cold here. :)

Oh and I didn't take pics. I know, pics or it didn't happen.. I combined with today's shave then...

$IMG_0129.jpg

Phat, it seems like you are a natural. Well done, sir. You have just been introduced to a WHOLE new world!

Release the hounds! Let the PAD and TAD commence!:lol:

Phat, it seems like you are a natural. Well done, sir. You have just been introduced to a WHOLE new world!

Release the hounds! Let the PAD and TAD commence!:lol:

Lol. I thought I did pretty good sticking to one str8 for 50 shaves before succumbing to mild SRAD and SSAD. Hopefully I can keep the PAD under wraps....

Great write up! Sip the pipe and sip coffee. What a wonderful combination indeed.
Keep the updates coming

Don't count on it... PAD / TAD has replaced my SAD... :001_huh:

Yes, but it looks like you were doing DE's. I skipped DE's entirely, noticing that Straight Razors were clearly the superior choice for advanced Aquisition Disorders.

Yes, but it looks like you were doing DE's. I skipped DE's entirely, noticing that Straight Razors were clearly the superior choice for advanced Aquisition Disorders.
Yup, like the DE's... I meant RAD! (in my head SAD was Shaving Acquisition Disorder) I do have a straight that I am working on making some new scales for, but it needs some honing, so I have not tried shaving with it yet.

Well done! I've yet to try FM, but I always hear it spoken of highly. Cobs are some of the best smoking pipes and don't require a break in period, so you may want to stick with them while you work on technique. Plus, they make it easy to have different pipes for different styles of tobacco. I'd also recommend lighting your pipe with wood matches.

I think of SL as a solid English style with a medium amount of latakia. It tends to be a love/hate thing and has a low WAF (wife acceptance factor), meaning it smells unpleasant to anyone who doesn't like latakia. If you like peaty scotches I imagine you'll enjoy it.

I recommend you try out a drug store blend / old codger blend. Carter Hall is my personal favorite, but the others have their fans. You won't be blown away by this category, but they are pleasant enough that you can do something else and not get distracted by the amazing flavor of the tobacco. Perfect for writing, golfing, hiking, etc. I think they smoke best in a cob.

Also, once you feel you've got technique down please try a straight VA. There are lots of good ones. Only some pipe smokers like them, because they can bite when improperly smoked and seem bland at first. However, with he correct technique they can be the most rewarding and incredible experience of sour-sweet and slowly deeper richness as the bowl progresses.

Top Bottom