What's new

Newbie to smoking a Pipe(corn cobs)

Spring is on the horizon and I generally smoke cigars in the Spring and Fall due to the pleasant outdoor weather/temps but this year I decided I wanted to try a pipe. I've read some stuff over the years on the topic but never pulled the trigger till now.

I decided to get a Corn Cob Pipe because they are inexpensive and based on many online reviews highly functional for the price point. Initially I was looking at a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman but after looking at their website for a bit decided that the Three Pipe Bag of Smokable Legend Seconds was a better option. Never having smoked a pipe I wasn't sure a larger or full sized pipe would be too large and the medium Legends could be used later to carry around and with three of them I could just smoke two pipes if the medium didn't last as long as I wanted until I purchased the Country Gentleman . I also bought some accessories and the balsa wood filters instead of the paper ones which I'm very glad I did(I tried the paper filter for one bowl and it got nasty and the draw got tough after one smoke but I was smoking the tobacco a bit too moist but I was eager to give it a try). I also ordered a small assortment of Lane Bulk tobaccos:

• Very Cherry
  • Vanilla Black Cavendish
  • Dark Red
  • BCA
  • 1-Q

From what I read I decided to smoke the first half dozen or so bowls half packed to char down the shank and pit of the bowl and doing this allowed me to work on two of the Legends at the same time while holding one back in reserve. I've started smoking them and I like it alot....the smoke is much more mellow than a cigar. I like it so much I already ordered 3 of the full sized pipes(Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple and Mark Twain) and some additional tobacco(Proper English and Dark Bird's Eye).

My question is will the shank in the bowl burn out completely or char down to a point?? It seems like there is a lot of different information and claims for corn cobs as far as whether they need to break in or not...some people claim they are "seasoned". For the cost I'm not too concerned with "doing it wrong" but still want to try to do the job correctly if I can, especially with the full sized "firsts" I ordered. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. I have a pipe nail/tamper and pipe cleaners. Anything else I might need? Thanks!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
The shank portion that extends into the bowl will not "burn down" anytime soon with normal use, in my experience. Some people will do various things to reduce it, like grind it down with a Dremel, but I don't think it is necessary, doesn't affect the smoking of the pipe. Cobs generally don't require a lot of care and are pretty forgiving of noobie mistakes. Eventually you may want to get a pipe tool for scraping things out a bit. If "Everclear" (pure grain alcohol) is available to you, a lot of us use that as a cleaning solvent, particularly on pipe cleaners. If you can't get Everclear, any high proof clear alcohol will do. But don't use rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol. If you wouldn't drink it, don't use it on you pipes. Caution, if you eventually get a stained briar, or other wood pipe, the alcohol will remove the stain, so keep it off the outside of the bowl. Also, many forgo the use of filters at all, totally your preference.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Also, read the sticky and get your Brown Leaf badge to get access to the Stock Exchange, only costs a dollar. Go to Home> Contribute > Brown Leaf Trading.

The shank portion that extends into the bowl will not "burn down" anytime soon with normal use, in my experience. Some people will do various things to reduce it, like grind it down with a Dremel, but I don't think it is necessary, doesn't affect the smoking of the pipe. Cobs generally don't require a lot of care and are pretty forgiving of noobie mistakes. Eventually you may want to get a pipe tool for scraping things out a bit. If "Everclear" (pure grain alcohol) is available to you, a lot of us use that as a cleaning solvent, particularly on pipe cleaners. If you can't get Everclear, any high proof clear alcohol will do. But don't use rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol. If you wouldn't drink it, don't use it on you pipes. Caution, if you eventually get a stained briar, or other wood pipe, the alcohol will remove the stain, so keep it off the outside of the bowl. Also, many forgo the use of filters at all, totally your preference.

LOL...I already started looking at poker shaped briars......but thats for down the road as I'm more of a function over form kind of person and cobs seem to fit me fine. Now I'm just looking into the different types of pipe tobacco available. I really like the Lane 1Q....at least more than the vanilla black cavendish or the dark red that I've smoked so far but they were all fine. I can see myself starting to buy more cobs to keep as back ups though....the 7 day bag of smokable seconds is back in stock again on the Missouri Meerschaum website....they were out of stock for the last few weeks I had been looking and I'm awfully tempted but might get a cheap two pipe pouch I saw on amazon to carry around since I walk/bicycle to work.

This briar really appeals to me:
Peterson Tankard Ebony Silver Mounted P-Lip | Buy Peterson Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes

Last edited:

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
You may or may not have done so but I’d look up the YouTube channel by Aristocob. Scott, the owner of the channel, has done a really good and thorough job at explaining corn cob pipes, their mechanics, “break in” and care.

R/
Dave

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Anything else I might need? Thanks!

Get your fishing equipment ready and find you a nice, quiet body of water...well stocked with fish.

img_0006-2-jpg.856890

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I no longer smoke pipes or cigars but I did for a long time. It's hard to beat a good corncob pipe. Even the ultra cheap ones sold in drugstores smoke great.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Spring is on the horizon and I generally smoke cigars in the Spring and Fall due to the pleasant outdoor weather/temps but this year I decided I wanted to try a pipe. I've read some stuff over the years on the topic but never pulled the trigger till now.

I decided to get a Corn Cob Pipe because they are inexpensive and based on many online reviews highly functional for the price point. Initially I was looking at a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman but after looking at their website for a bit decided that the Three Pipe Bag of Smokable Legend Seconds was a better option. Never having smoked a pipe I wasn't sure a larger or full sized pipe would be too large and the medium Legends could be used later to carry around and with three of them I could just smoke two pipes if the medium didn't last as long as I wanted until I purchased the Country Gentleman . I also bought some accessories and the balsa wood filters instead of the paper ones which I'm very glad I did(I tried the paper filter for one bowl and it got nasty and the draw got tough after one smoke but I was smoking the tobacco a bit too moist but I was eager to give it a try). I also ordered a small assortment of Lane Bulk tobaccos:

• Very Cherry
  • Vanilla Black Cavendish
  • Dark Red
  • BCA
  • 1-Q

From what I read I decided to smoke the first half dozen or so bowls half packed to char down the shank and pit of the bowl and doing this allowed me to work on two of the Legends at the same time while holding one back in reserve. I've started smoking them and I like it alot....the smoke is much more mellow than a cigar. I like it so much I already ordered 3 of the full sized pipes(Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple and Mark Twain) and some additional tobacco(Proper English and Dark Bird's Eye).

My question is will the shank in the bowl burn out completely or char down to a point?? It seems like there is a lot of different information and claims for corn cobs as far as whether they need to break in or not...some people claim they are "seasoned". For the cost I'm not too concerned with "doing it wrong" but still want to try to do the job correctly if I can, especially with the full sized "firsts" I ordered. Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. I have a pipe nail/tamper and pipe cleaners. Anything else I might need? Thanks!

You can't much go wrong with a cob. All of the blends you are starting with are aromatics and cavendish based. Aros will tend to smoke hotter and are more prone to tongue bite. If that becomes an issue for you, try some "Carter Hall" its a burley based OTC that might give you a better experience. I can't smoke aros at all. Take it slow and enjoy.

Ronnie

Welcome to the world of pipe smoking. If you thought SAD & RAD were trouble, wait until TAD & PAD strike; I may be too late for that advice.
An interesting blend is a 50/50 mix of the Lane BCA & Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake. It’s not original to me, I found the recipe on one of the forums.
MM cobs are very good pipes. My favorite is Old Towne Cobbler.
A good, relatively inexpensive briar is a Morgan Bones. I have several and find them reliable smokers and rugged as well.
Good luck with your smoking!

[QUOTE="KellyG, post: 10093257, member: 82905]
An interesting blend is a 50/50 mix of the Lane BCA & Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake. It’s not original to me, I found the recipe on one of the forums. [/QUOTE]

I found the original recipe. It is from pault on this forum: check out The Stock Exchange,
Pif sample of a blend I have been smoking.
FWIW, I call the blend Paul’s Anniversary Cavendish.

I havn't had much issue with the aromatics....I just don't taste much in the way of the vanilla or cherry in them...although I don't like the ones with cherry as much as Lane 1Q or BCA. The vanilla black cavendish was a nice smooth smoke and seemed to have more body(thicker/denser/heavier smoke) which I liked. A pleasant room note is something I am interested in though. Other people I live with don't much like when I smoke cigars so I'm hoping the pipe tobacco is better received(I don't smoke indoors anyway but they still gripe a bit).

I have ordered 3 more cobs....larger ones. Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple and Mark Twain. I also ordered
Peter Stokkebye Proper English and Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Dark Bird's Eye to check out.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
The vanilla black cavendish was a nice smooth smoke and seemed to have more body(thicker/denser/heavier smoke) which I liked. A pleasant room note is something I am interested in though. Other people I live with don't much like when I smoke cigars so I'm hoping the pipe tobacco is better received(I don't smoke indoors anyway but they still gripe a bit).

You may like this...it's about the only aro I can tolerate.

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Great Outdoors (Sutliff Private Stock) - Tobacco Reviews

I've ended up trying to mix some of the aromatics I've liked based on what I liked and didn't like about them. I ordered more tobacco and I've mixed up 2 parts Lane 1Q, 1 part Lane BCA, .5 part Lane Vanilla Black Cavendish and .5 part Sutliff Creme Brulee(4oz-2oz-1oz-1oz). Its turned out to be the best so far in my limited experience. They each have something about them that I liked and things that fell short and each one makes up for the shortcomings of each other that I perceived. I'll see how I feel after I smoked it all but I think I might be perfectly happy if I just stick with this as an aromatic and dark birds eye for an occasional nicotine boost. It packs easy, smokes smooth, good body, smokes consistent almost to the very end in a seasoned/broken in Cob and has enough taste but doesn't become cloying to me. I can smoke two full large pipes(country gentleman and apple diplomat) in a row and almost wish I had a small pipe for just a little more.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Back in the day i had one and with very frequent use the outside of the bowl would get hot to the touch i thought a nice feature on cold nights

Top Bottom