What's new

Sticky door on Micromatic

I have a Gem Micromatic, not a Clog-Pruf, that when you tighten all the way down the door won't come up without a nudge. If you don't tighten, works OK, goes up and down. Just as long as you don't give it a tighten on a blade. Do I just try to push the sides of the door apart, to free up the pins, or is this something else?

I think it has something to do with the parts that slide the top back when loosened. I've come across several Micromatics with this same problem. I'm guessing that it gets stuck because what ever pushes the top back so it can go up is worn and friction between the "fins" under the cap and the little cut outs on the side of the base plate is what makes it stick down. I've tried soaks in every type of cleaning solution, boiling water, every thing short of a soak in an ultrasonic cleaner, nothing seems to help. If you can figure his one out, let us know!

I've cleaned and lubed it enough to think that ain't it. I may take more drastic measures. Or just shave with it and forget this nonsense.

I have to work the "forward assist" with my Gem Micromatic "Clog-Pruf". It was really stuck when I first got it, I had to grap the top by both sides and give it a pull up. It was really dirty, so I ran it through the dishwasher LOL, that cleaned it up, it was actually shinny LOL. Now, it still sticks, but I just have to give a small tap and it pops open. I think I paid an entire $2 (U.S.) for the razor, so I'm not too concerned if I have to help it open, it still shaves good.
Thanks
Mark

Top Bottom