What's new

Sterling Silver DE

I recently found this one. It was surely in need of plenty of TLC. I have cleaned it up some and here are fotos. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this one or has info on it. The watermark, which I really could not get a good foto of, has 3 emblems, a winged lion (which I can not remember the right word for, a mariner's anchor and the third, well...I have no idea...then it says sterling and then LVN. The serial number is C 193869. I wonder what case it came in too.

:001_wub:I feel happy I found it.

Attachments

• $sterling silver razor 003.jpg
    $sterling silver razor 003.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 466
  • $sterling silver razor 007.jpg
    $sterling silver razor 007.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 461
  • $sterling silver razor 014.jpg
    $sterling silver razor 014.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 555
  • $sterling silver razor 033.jpg
    $sterling silver razor 033.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 463
  • $0004 (1).jpg
    $0004 (1).jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 459
Here is one on Mr Razors site.

http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1907 Gorham from Michael Preuss.jpg

Yours is different but similar. Tooth count matches and the head looks very Old Type. Serial number looks right as well. I think the past discussion was that Gillette may have allowed some of these Sterling Razors to be made either for high end retailers or custom made for individuals. A couple guys who may know more will be along shortly. Jay

Last edited:
Some poking around says its probably a Gorham, same maker as the one on Mr Razors site. This is from wikipedia...

Wikipedia said:
...While American manufacturers did not apply assay marks, city marks or date marks, they did (and still do) apply a maker's mark. For example, pieces from the Gorham company could be identified by a Lion Passant (or Lion Rampant, depending on the year), an anchor and the letter "G".

If you can get a magnifer and look at that last symbol it is probably that "G", stylized as an old english type font. Not sure what the LVN is but I will poke around some more.

Jay

PS-I would get in touch with member Achim(Mr Razor) as to the best of my knowledge this is only the second Gorham razor to surface. The other one on his site is, iirc, owned by a gentleman in Germany. He may have more info and would certainly love to have pictures for his site!!!

Last edited:
a winged lion (which I can not remember the right word for,
I think the word you're looking for is "Gryphon."

Nice find ... that is a real show-piece for any collection, and it cleaned up nicely.

Does it use standard DE blades, or does it require a propietary piece?

If it does not check out as Gorham, you may have a British razor. British silver hallmarks may be found here: http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html

The anchor has been a symbol for Birmingham for a couple of centuries. The way British silver hallmarks work is the first one is silver content, the second a city mark, and the third a letter for a year. Check it out.

What a wonderful razor- enjoy it!

Looks like a 1912 (based on the serial number) custom Aristocrat. I say that because the very first Aristocrat model, the 3-piece with the fluted knob, was introduced in 1910 so only 2 years later... it makes sense. And based on your description of the silvermark, it's definitely made by Gorham who made many pieces for Gillette including razors and the Gillette office knife. See this Gorham page for marks and history: http://www.925-1000.com/Gorham_Date_Code.html

Excellent score. Very beautiful and nice job on the clean up.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, for the information, compliments...

I'll have to read through here more carefully in the AM. I'll see if I can see the third hallmark better tomorrow as well.

Yes, regular DE blades work.

:sleep:

Just curious, have you weighed it?

I have no idea what you paid for it. Aside from it being a razor, silver closed at $40.61/troy ounce yesterday. I bet there's 2 ounces of silver there unless it's hollow. That's melt value. Of course you'd be nuts to sacrifice it for melt value- it's too rare an item. But it would be good to know how much silver it contains.

BTW, that's silver content in the alloy, not the weight of the alloy.

Some poking around says its probably a Gorham, same maker as the one on Mr Razors site. This is from wikipedia...

If you can get a magnifer and look at that last symbol it is probably that "G", stylized as an old english type font. Not sure what the LVN is but I will poke around some more.

Jay

Jay, Thank you. I think the third emblem just might be the G. Although, I really am not able to see it as clearly as the others. Thanks for all this info.

I think the word you're looking for is "Gryphon."

Nice find ... that is a real show-piece for any collection, and it cleaned up nicely.

Does it use standard DE blades, or does it require a propietary piece?

Yes! That's right...And, I would have spelled it Griffon. :blushing: Standard DE's.

If it does not check out as Gorham, you may have a British razor. British silver hallmarks may be found here: http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html

The anchor has been a symbol for Birmingham for a couple of centuries. The way British silver hallmarks work is the first one is silver content, the second a city mark, and the third a letter for a year. Check it out.

What a wonderful razor- enjoy it!

Thank you for this link, very helpful, and a page keeper too. Thanks, Richard.

You should. I think I recognized at least a couple of other B&Bers in the bidding history for it. :wink2:

It looks like there's a patent number or date inscription at the base of the handle. What does that say?

oh, you thought you saw me there, did you? :a12:

:smile: It says Patent Nov15,04

That has got to be one of the best looking pieces of art I have ever seen! Nice score!

Yes, art is the right word. And not overdone. This is modest elegance. I like it. :closedeye

Nice razor, you may want to coat it with rhodium.

Al raz.
Hmm...cover sterling silver with rhodium? Almost sounds like another thread.... Metal properties....Why would I want to cover it with Rhodium?

Looks like a 1912 (based on the serial number) custom Aristocrat. I say that because the very first Aristocrat model, the 3-piece with the fluted knob, was introduced in 1910 so only 2 years later... it makes sense. And based on your description of the silvermark, it's definitely made by Gorham who made many pieces for Gillette including razors and the Gillette office knife. See this Gorham page for marks and history: http://www.925-1000.com/Gorham_Date_Code.html

Excellent score. Very beautiful and nice job on the clean up.

Thank you, TheRazorSleepsForNoOne. Yes. With this page link, I was able to find the identical emblems. Very helpful information. And, on another website, Oldguy, Len, was able to identify it from page 141 in Krumholz. So, looks like I have a 1912 (based on serial number) Gillette, made by Gorham, Aristocrat Flare-Tip....I like it! :thumbup:

Just curious, have you weighed it?

I have no idea what you paid for it. Aside from it being a razor, silver closed at $40.61/troy ounce yesterday. I bet there's 2 ounces of silver there unless it's hollow. That's melt value. Of course you'd be nuts to sacrifice it for melt value- it's too rare an item. But it would be good to know how much silver it contains.

BTW, that's silver content in the alloy, not the weight of the alloy.

I have not weighed it. I will be holding onto this one. It's a keeper. :001_wub:

I just tripped on this thread looking for something else.

I NEED MORE PICTURES!!!

This thread I missed when it originally aired. Can we get some reruns in syndication? Maybe an update of the beautiful piece?

WOW!!

Top Bottom