What's new

MÜHLE Sterling Silver Safety Razor $815

R

romsitsa

Any custom makers do silver ones? An oz or three of silver is all that would be needed. What is a reasonable price for a sterling razor?

$200?
$300?

No one makes, as far as I know, razors, even if a jeweler accepts, it will be done from scratch, so one can only hope that the product will be useable for shaving.
Roughly the raw material would be under 80 USD (for 90+ purity silver) the fee whatever the jeweler asks for (it would depend on the material, desing, decoration, hand made-cast-printed, hourly wage etc.). For a “plain” 3 piece I would guess around 500 USD.

With vintage the prices are around 200-600 USD depending on the razor, if the seller knows what he/she is actually offering. The sterling Single rings are 4 digit.

Last edited by a moderator:
No one makes, as far as I know, razors, even if a jeweler accepts, it will be done from scratch, so one can only hope that the product will be useable for shaving.
Roughly the raw material would be under 100 USD, the fee whatever the jeweler asks for (it would depend on the material, desing, decoration, hand made-cast-printed, hourly wage etc.). For a “plain” 3 piece I would guess around 500 USD.

With vintage the prices are around 200-600 USD depending on the razor, if the seller knows what he/she is actually offering.
Some of the Zamak folks could likely just switch to trying sterling. Material stength may or may not high enough, but who knows. Gillette used to make solid sterling raazors Are there any pot metal Zamak guys doing production in the USA? They already have the molds, just need to switch the material.

R

romsitsa

Cast metal will shrink or not, come out whole or have casting defects. This is less of a problem with pot metal, but silver will be quite expensive. Also the meting point is quite different, so I guess a pot metal casting setup will not be suitable for silver.

Hell, maybe working with silver is just a pain, and that warrants the higher price. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wald Shaving recently released a much smaller brush than their typical offering, but the price is similar because of the effort it takes to make the brushes - the smaller brushes take almost as much time to make. The price isn’t discounted much, whereas the brush is like 1/3 smaller than the original.

I guess it’s possible that silver is such a pain that it warrants the higher cost. Many of us seem content spending 2-3x more money on a titanium razor than a zamak or stainless, so why wouldn’t we pay 10x for silver?

I’m not saying silver is worth it, I’m just saying I have no idea what I’m talking about and $800 for a razor is too expensive for my income level regardless of the raw materials used or the effort it took to create it.

People with money in some circumstance like nice stuff, or unique items. If Saturday is dry, it's Cars, n Coffee in Phoenix. Love the monthly event, would expect 50 - 60 million dollars of high dollar cars on display. One regular lives in gated community, he has 2 deep 7 car garage for his collection. Home is worth more then car, it it was upwards of 10MILLION.

You do not have many (any) options if you want a solid silver contemporary razor. It is a ymmv thing, I was hunting for years for a vintage till I found one and it is great. Silver has a beautiful white shine and is highly conductive (will be warm from the hand).

+1! If you want Silver, then this might be a good option.

Great Scott!!!!

The ultimate tool for Vampire Hunters. Just shave them to death with a single pass!

Would have been much easier for good old Abe...

A bargain to rid the world of imaginary evil. Or, perhaps truth?? 🤔

101112.gif

Silver has anti microbial properties, which is beneficial when shaving. Wonder if a $70-$80 silver plating would be worthwhile?
I doubt an antimicrobial handle would make a hill of beans worth of difference in the shaving infection rate, which is already ludicrously low.

The handle doesn't touch your skin. If the blade itself were antimicrobial, it would at least make a little more sense, but again I highly doubt it would make a demonstrable difference in infection rates.

I have to confess, I once paid $70 for a Tiffany cartridge razor made of sterling silver.(from ebay)
View attachment 1703764
There's also a $200 sterling silver 1900 vintage scuttle. A $65 filled sterling silver shaving brush.
View attachment 1703768

Fortunately, they add up to far less than the price of a Muhle R98AG.
My guess is that razor will fetch more than $70 today. Tiffany has brand recognition so it is worth more than the underlying material and has collectors value. If it is no longer in production you could probably auction it for 100’s of dollars.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
My guess is that razor will fetch more than $70 today. Tiffany has brand recognition so it is worth more than the underlying material and has collectors value. If it is no longer in production you could probably auction it for 100’s of dollars.
Yes
The new "Elsa Peretti razor" that is still on sale on Tiffany's official website has also reached a value of 450 US dollars.
As for the razor of the same model as mine, I have seen someone selling second-hand razors for $175 on other websites.

But I'll keep it, the simple aesthetic of the TracII style razor has always appealed to me.

Top Bottom