What's new

Starbucks closes all stores- nobody notices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have family that work for the company and almost everyone I have meet has been really nice. The company also give a lot to charity and does a lot of it's own work as well.

I don't understand bashing a place for making $4 coffee but being willing to buy $30 shaving cream.

Right on. The people at the Starbucks near my job know my drink before I order it. At school, I'm bussed in and out, suprised on how effcient it is.

I remember talking to one of the managers at the SB at school. She was a senior, and she had worked at SB for six years. The benefits, she said, went were amazing. She also mentioned that people complain about the prices and such. She told me that the only time they raise prices is when they want to give their loyal and faithful employess raises.

They are also dedicated to growth within the company. That same college senior has the choice of running her own New York store (they make a ton of money for fodd service managers) or working in the corporate headquarters as soon as she graduates. A little training to get the staff back in line with their plans is fine with me in my opinion.

I've yet to try Dunkin Donuts, but my experience with Starbucks (all paid by gift card, btw, none of my $$$$) has been disappointing. It's not bad, but not near justifiable for the price. The research last year was correct...even McD's coffee tastes better.
Best coffee in my area is a little convenience store near my house, 16 oz for $.96, for those times I haven't the minutes to make it at home

Actually, IMHO McDonald's has the best coffee of all the national chains. Ever since they switched to the Newman's coffee, I've had better luck with their coffee than Dunks or Starbucks.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Wow, a lot of Starbucks hate in here. Bashing the workers seems inappropriate. It's a great job while going through college or for many single mothers as they give heath insurance for part time.

There's a decent book about that- Starbucks Saved My Life.

People DID NOTICE, and in a big way. There were several very angry customers at the location near me. Knocking on drive through windows, yelling, complaining, etc.

Wow. There are angry people in Detroit? I'll have to make a note of that.

I don't understand bashing a place for making $4 coffee but being willing to buy $30 shaving cream.

How the heck is the average Joe going to be able to afford $30 pots of cream if he's squandering $4 on a cup of coffee? :lol:

Ok, I've only been in the place once so I'm not surprised that this little blip went completely over my head. The one time I did try the coffee. It took me a full 60 seconds to figure out they didn't have what I wanted on the menu and another 60 seconds to get the young lady behind the counter to understand what a plain cup of coffee was.

The lesson I learned: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this... Well stop doing that"

.... owwwww. This is gonna hurt. Especially for guys like me who eat a cake of Tabac every morning.

Paul

(P.S. ... red ... herring? ...)

Starbusks tastes Like ****...
Ok that is an exageration... but it does taste like mold-filled pencills boiled in tab water. It is just bad. I rather slap my face to an awaken state than drink SB coffee.
It could cost 1 dollar for 20 oz and it would still be expensive for me. Now I am not comparing it to Etiopian, Mexican, South American coffees... not fair, I am talking about the regular Gas station Coffee, McDondalds, BK options.
Their chocolate is average and the muffins too. Still expensive though.
About the workers... they are doing their job. As honorable as anyone else.

Tabac cake... Tabac expensive? I have a year old puck that costed 15 + S&H. It's nothing! I haven't finished half of it. I bet it does not even cost more than 5 scents per shave... and it is IMO the best shaving soap.

Not that I'm a big fan but there are times when a cuppa joe is a requirement.
I always order a small (think its called a "tall") RedEye - cup of coffee plus a shot of espresso.
Runs me about $2 and aint half bad.

I actually don't hate Starbucks. I'm not a huge fan as I would generally prefer going to a little mom and pop type coffee shop but I like Starbucks coffee from time to time.

It was a brilliant marketing move. They got so much free press and a lot of people are going to go tomorrow to try out why this nation wide closure gets them in terms of coffee

You folks see the Daily's show's piece on this. Pretty funny although I gagged big-time when the "Journalist" was drinking the old coffee, amoung other items, from the cup found in the trashcan.

snip....I don't understand bashing a place for making $4 coffee but being willing to buy $30 shaving cream.

Tony, with all due respect, I don't even see how this could even come close to being a remote comparison.

A $4 coffee is going to last you ........... what ............ 15 minutes (unless you like drinking it cold) whereas that $30 tub of shaving cream will cost you pennies a use and last months or years depending on how many $30 tubs you have. Why don't you "REALLY" go overboard and compare a coffee to a $90 bottle of Penhaligons??

IMHO, what I would pay $4 for at $Bux, I could make at home for less that $0.50, and also IMHO would be better. (NOTE: That IS taking into account the ~ $800 I spent on my current setup, amortized over all the coffees I've made at home since I got it.) That is no slight on the people who work there, it's the "Nuked Charcoal" beans they use and the "Hi-tech-super-auto-push-one-button-and-you're-done" processes. I personally have never been treated badly by anyone who works at any coffee shop and can honestly say the youngsters at $Bux have been more than polite and considerate. However, what gives them the right to charge that much for a flippin' coffee?

It ain't the people most of us are complaining about, dude, it's the flippin' company and the business. I mean, if their coffee was reasonably priced would I drink it?? Sure I would. I enjoy a coffee, and their Americanos ARE somewhat decent, and less-than-good coffee is better than nuttin'

Now, that being said, the owners of that company have just a little more money than I do, so who the hell am I to complain???:blushing::lol:

You know, Starbucks doesn't make their own baked goods. Here in TX I think most of the breakfast stuff is brought in from Whole Foods Market.

Man, I leeerrrrvv coffee and luckily we still have several Italian-run coffee shops in the city here which means that I don't need to ever visit S-bux.

I realize I,m wasting my time defending Starbucks, but here go's anyways. In a blind taste test I,m not sure I could pick out the pretentious cup. Pretentious? That's a perceived affectation that has nothing to do with the coffee itself. Which ones are the pretentious coffees? The Sumatra? Or maybe it's the Guatemalan, yeah I bet that's the one. Burnt coffee? The shuttles that they use makes it physically impossible for the coffee to burn. Expensive? I,ll give you that one. Now the legitamate issues as far as quality go's is when they went from small batch roasters to large scale industrial machines. And also switching to automatic espresso machines. Both of these "improvments" made a significant difference in the cup. But heres the issue with those old fashioned, tradtitional machines. They are very tempermental, I remember working in a store in Dallas where if a customer opened the door on the south side of the building it would create a vacuum, and throw the shots way off. When you have a line of twenty people waiting for the drinks and your trying to time your shots in between the doors opening and closing it can be kinda nerve wracking. So, those older machines are capable of making a superior shot but that doesn't mean that every shot coming out of them was a good shot. Starbucks biggest mistake was in trying to be everything to everybody, and opening a store on every damned corner in the country. I love the Simpsons episode where Lisa go's into the bathroom at Starbucks just to find another Starbucks inside the bathroom. People believe what they want, usually regardless of the facts.

Last edited:
V

VR6ofpain

Expensive? I,ll give you that one.
I don't agree this is 100% true.

Starbucks charges $1.50 for a 12oz (tall) coffee. That is comparable to the going rate everywhere else...but in some cases Starbucks is even cheaper. Most restaurants charge $2 for their awful coffee. Ya you can get refills, but I would rather have a single cup from Starbucks, as it tastes much better.

If you buy the espresso drinks you must be paying for all the cream, syrup, and milk. You can get a 12oz (two shots) Americano (espresso and hot water) for less than $2.

So it all depends on what you buy from Starbucks, but they do have some products that are priced very well. Buying whole bean coffee from them? Sure that is overpriced, but I buy my coffee for the home from Costco, where you can get 3 lbs for the same price as 1 lbs from Starbucks.

I don't agree this is 100% true.

Starbucks charges $1.50 for a 12oz (tall) coffee. That is comparable to the going rate everywhere else...but in some cases Starbucks is even cheaper. Most restaurants charge $2 for their awful coffee. Ya you can get refills, but I would rather have a single cup from Starbucks, as it tastes much better.

If you buy the espresso drinks you must be paying for all the cream, syrup, and milk. You can get a 12oz (two shots) Americano (espresso and hot water) for less than $2.

So it all depends on what you buy from Starbucks, but they do have some products that are priced very well. Buying whole bean coffee from them? Sure that is overpriced, but I buy my coffee for the home from Costco, where you can get 3 lbs for the same price as 1 lbs from Starbucks.
And 50 cent refills all day. Beats the office coffee machine.

But this thread is so old it's even gone past the date Starbucks would've put on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom