What's new

Standard Razor. Beauty or Beast?

... impossible to police. ...

True, and they graciously say they'll live with any variations as "nicknames". Also, the issue, such as it is, appears to be a temporary one, because:

http://standardrazors.com/blogs/news/13463525-whats-in-a-name said:
... we'll be adding products to our line, which will require naming of our different products for differentiation, but for now we just have one initial product in two color-ways, the Black model and the Raw model, so we didn't name them.

Such minor details aside, I'm looking forward to my second shave with my Standard Razors Raw, which I expect to happen sometime in the next hour or so. :thumbsup: Will advise of any discoveries or insights.

... I'm looking forward to my second shave with my Standard Razors Raw, which I expect to happen sometime in the next hour or so. :thumbsup: Will advise of any discoveries or insights.

I've now had two more shaves with the Standard, for a total of three. For my first shave I had less than a full day's growth, and I had no trouble getting a BBS. The last two shaves were with two days' growth and one full day's growth, respectively, and the experience for me was less favorable. I felt I had to work hard to get to my standard DFS/BBS, especially with the two-day beard. I'm pretty sure that this is not about the mildness/aggressiveness of the razor -- you actually feel a lot of blade on your skin -- but rather about the need to maintain the exact same angle throughout the shave. After a while, it began to tire me out. I used to think the Fatip had a narrow range of effective shaving angles, but it's loosey-goosey compared to the Standard. On the other hand, as relatively aggressive as the Standard is, it's clearly designed to be forgiving; you've got to try very hard to draw blood with this razor. Also, despite its cutting power, the Standard is to be commended for consistently delivering irritation-free shaves. The key, however, is to find and hold on to that magic cutting angle.

There's something to be said for irritation free shaves. With any new razor it comes down to technique, doesn't it? Getting it dialed in is half the fun.

Looking forward to what subsequent shaves bring.

I've got the standard raw. It's an interesting combo. It has a relatively large blade gap, but llittle blade exposure which results in a medium to mild shave. The cap leaves a lot of blade uncovered, which for me gives great audible feedback! I would have to concur that its lack of weight can be troublesome with stiff beards or heavy growth. I found the handle to be much grippier than I had anticipated. Overall I would say that if you like aggressive or heavy razors, then this may not be the razor for you. If you like light or medium mild razors then this might be the ticket. If you love audible feedback then this razor is a must try. I will surely keep my eye on this brand for what they have to offer for the future. I will probably have to order another razor when they get some more stock since my wife has claimed this as her favorite for leg shaving.

I used it a couple of times, then sold it.
It's not bad, fairly easy to use, very efficient, but for some reason I was always left with skin burn, without any external sign.
I think many people will like it, although it wasn't for me. I will stick to the DE89 and Weber.

Why would you even think of TECH?

Mild shaver that is relatively sensitive to angle. Plus, I'm biased in that I currently shave with a Tech or a vintage adjustable (set "mildly") most of the time.

I wrote them a mail, explaining that I m the producer of a male TV show and that I would like to buy their razor for editorial purpose....
I did not ask for free....well not even an answer....
Curious because many brands ASK us to be part of the show....
If they do not want fine but at least I was expecting a reply.....

Tam

Must have fell through the cracks somehow. Small companies especially hard on people. Probably working two jobs to get it going. Easy to miss something.

Small companies especially hard on people. Probably working two jobs to get it going. Easy to miss something.

This week, I corresponded with Jose at Standard Razors three times, and usually I got an answer back within the hour. That said, I was sending my emails after normal business hours, so you may be onto something when you suggest that the company's email may get taken care of after the rest of the day's work has been completed.

Mild shaver that is relatively sensitive to angle. Plus, I'm biased in that I currently shave with a Tech or a vintage adjustable (set "mildly") most of the time.

Standard razor is way more aggressive than any Tech. Not that it's very aggressive, but more so than the Tech, no doubt.

I just got my "blemish" version of the RAW in yesterday's mail ($59 instead of $69, and, as typical of these deals, can't see the "blemish"). I loaded up the included Astra SP blade and shaved with it this morning.

Reactions:

1) VERY loud. If you like auditory feedback, you're gonna *love* the Standard.
2) Finding "the angle" was easy.
3) A very efficient razor -- two passes were all I needed.
4) The "smooth" handle has a certain grippiness to it, and wet hands kept a firm grip. Wet, soapy may be a different issue. The unique head attachment means I can't put the head on my BRW handle, like I'd like to.

I like this, and it's a keeper.

I just got my "blemish" version of the RAW in yesterday's mail ($59 instead of $69, and, as typical of these deals, can't see the "blemish"). I loaded up the included Astra SP blade and shaved with it this morning.

Reactions:

1) VERY loud. If you like auditory feedback, you're gonna *love* the Standard.
2) Finding "the angle" was easy.
3) A very efficient razor -- two passes were all I needed.
4) The "smooth" handle has a certain grippiness to it, and wet hands kept a firm grip. Wet, soapy may be a different issue. The unique head attachment means I can't put the head on my BRW handle, like I'd like to.

I like this, and it's a keeper.

I found it "grippy" enough, even with wet, soapy hands. It's a high-quality, interesting razor, for sure. But mine will probably end up on B/S/T, only because it's not as simpatico -- or as effective -- as my heavyweights (ATT Kronos, Fatips with Web or UFO handles). If I want a lightweight, medium-aggressive, foolproof razor, good for travel, I have my Merkur 45 Bakelite (photo), which is less than one-third the weight of the Standard. Still, the Standard Razors razors have "winner" written all over them, and I will continue to follow the company's offerings with interest.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
The unique head attachment means I can't put the head on my BRW handle, like I'd like to.

Actually, you can.
The stud will unscrew from the handle and re-attach to the head .. and the threads are right for using other handles.

Top Bottom