What's new

Stainless steel versus pot metal

I think it all depends on your own likes and dislikes. Stainless has the cool wow factor, but I don't believe it shaves any better then a regular metal razor. As I said, if you prefer the stainless then by all means go for it. :biggrin1: :001_rolle :tongue_sm :001_unsur

I think it all depends on your own likes and dislikes. Stainless has the cool wow factor, but I don't believe it shaves any better then a regular metal razor. As I said, if you prefer the stainless then by all means go for it. :biggrin1: :001_rolle :tongue_sm :001_unsur

I agree. In the end, it's all about your individual likes/dislikes are. I really considered getting the Ikon Slant when it came out. After really thinking about it, I figured with 150$ I could buy 3 Merkur 37C Slants. With proper care, I can't see how I would out live 1 Merkur, let alone 3.
As Thomas from Denmark said "One will last you a lifetime. The other will last you two lifetimes."

With pot metal, if the plating pits, the razor will corrode beneath the coating.

Stainless steel can definitely rust, but it doesn't disintegrate. And it doesn't rust if you dry it off and keep it dry between shaves.

There is also the modern brass razor -- the Joris/Fatip/Premax. You can mix and match with a stainless or other aftermarket handle (Weber Bulldog in the top photo, UFO red-bronze Goliath at bottom). The are some great pot-metal razors out there, but higher-grade materials feel better in the hand, IMO, and add to the overall experience.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I presented a friend with a $100 Jagger. He loved it, but last month he dropped it and it broke. Can't try to get it replaced (it was over a year old), he tossed the pieces. Yesterday I gave him a Weber PH, Bulldog handle.

That was the second Jagger I saw break. I switched to a Weber, and now an iKon OC. I also love my New LC/Weber Classic Handle. They endure.
A sculptor-friend says the "brass" Gillettes are pretty close, metallurgically, to bronze. His sculptures are made from "eternal" bronze. They're both okay with me. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom