What's new

Stainless Steel Types, Confused?

As I live and breathe, if it ain't the "Viseguy"! Dear readers, Carl (aka "Viseguy") is a fellow FPAD (fountain pen) friend from years ago and a couple of FP boards. Because I stroked out some 4½ years ago and lost a lot of control of my right side, I put the fountain pens on the shelf and began looking for new worlds to conquer. Enter wet shaving interest, and lo and behold, up pops Carl with a wet shaving interest that goes back much farther than mine.

Enough of the 'H₂0 over the dam', Carl, I can imagine your interest in Stan's upcoming bronze toys. They're going to get more than a sideways glance from me too. Since we last talked, I'm jettisoning the first 3 modern razors I bought upon re-entering wet shaving, and am committing to vintage Gillette and modern high end Stainless Steel razors. This is what prompted me to ask the makers about their reasons for choosing the stainless types that they have.

Advice from me to the readers: Don't get on the wrong side of Carl, because anybody that takes a 3 piece and bins the base plate thus making a devette out of it is someone to keep as your friend. That's almost like putting a loaded .45 ACP to your throat to shave! Keep in touch, Carl I'm sure we'll have lots to share as time rolls on.

Indeed, see some pictures of my Titanium Wolfman here and with Ti stand here.

I would think a titanium razor would almost be too light. My other passion is scuba diving, and I use a titanium regulator, safe second and dive knife. Really, really good stuff. Fantastic strength to weight ratio with absolutely no corrosion.

I would think a titanium razor would almost be too light. My other passion is scuba diving, and I use a titanium regulator, safe second and dive knife. Really, really good stuff. Fantastic strength to weight ratio with absolutely no corrosion.

The titanium head with titanium handle weigh in at 80 grams. It is lighter than my stainless razors but it still has a nice heft and great maneuverability. It's not as light as my aluminum Razorock Baby Smooth or some of my bakelite razors.

... anybody that takes a 3 piece and bins the base plate thus making a devette out of it is someone to keep as your friend. That's almost like putting a loaded .45 ACP to your throat to shave! ...

Now, Roger, you know I'd never resort to violence against a fellow B&Ber... :lol: Actually, the devette is a piece of cake once you get used to it. Just like any other DE, only more effective.

Anyway, congrats on your newfound focus. Vintage Gillette and high-end modern are two of the most satisfying directions you can go. Me, I'm going to keep my eye on that 3-piece stainless SE that Stan is working on.... :w00t:

Last edited:
Takeaway message? 316 is better, but more of a PITA. 303 keeps the razors flowing, which probably explains why James has a long wait list.

Either grade is likely going to outlast your grandkids, though, to put it in perspective.

Yeah, I think for those of us who don't shave in a corrosive atmosphere, either razor will long out last us and you won't go wrong no matter which you choose. I went with ATT, but the alloy had nothing to do with my choice.

I love my ATT S1 and I love the steel that was used for it. I understand that 316 will last longer but we're talking maybe 500 years of daily use vs. 700 years of daily use. I love my slant and wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market. Stan makes a fantastic razor and my experience with his customer service was equally good as the product itself.

Top Bottom