What's new

Downsides to chromium plating?

I

Island

I understand that razor geometry, milling, and polishing are likely more important that which type of metal is used for a razor. But I have noticed that about 3/4 of solid stainless steel razors use 303 or 304 steel rather than the more corrosion resistant marine grade 316 steel. Feather's AS-D2 goes further and chromium plates the steel. This not only increases corrosion resistance but is almost twice as hard and scratch resistant as stainless steel itself. Is there a reason this is not used more commonly? Are there downsides?

I'm no machinist, but from what I can find on the internet (SOURCE):

Is 304 vs. 316 easier to machine?

Type 303 stainless steel is probably the easiest 300 series to machine. It is much easier to machine than 304. That makes grade 303 steel the first choice for fittings, gears, and fasteners where tight tolerances are a must. However, its relative weakness means it isn’t used as often as grade 304 stainless steel.

Type 304 is more machinable than 316 stainless steel. Not only is grade 304 steel easier to machine but it is easier to clean. That is one reason why it comes in so many different finishes. That is also why it is used on surfaces that are visible to the public. Think car fenders and stainless steel serving trays.

Type 316 stainless steel is not just harder to machine but requires special tools to cut. It performs well against pitting, but it isn’t as formable. That explains why it is reserved for applications other types of stainless steel can’t handle.

Feather AS-D2 states it is stainless steel but I am not sure what grade it is.
Also if it was 316L, no plating would be needed...

Feather all around is excellent quality.
My guest is their balance of quality, in house resources and cost / profit.

Not to long ago, they were sorta alone in the high end razors.
Now where do fit, they are a lot cheaper than high ends of today.

I just wish they offered a multi base plates options.

Chrome (Chromium) Plating, guess it depend on the type:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
We’ve all heard of chrome-plated objects. This typically means that these objects are not made entirely of solid chrome, but instead are coated in a layer of chrome through a process known as chrome plating. Chrome plating is the process of applying chromium to another metal object. Chromium is the chemical element (Cr) and atomic number 24, and is an additive in steel.

Chrome plating, or chromium plating, helps minimize wear and tear, as well as increase the lifespan of metal or engineering parts. By adding a layer of chrome to another object, it can improve the object’s resistance to corrosion, reduce friction, prevent galling, and in certain instances, enhance its appearance.

What is Chrome Plating?​

Chrome plating is done through the process of electroplating, a technique that reduces dissolved metal cations in an electrolyte salt bath to allow a seamless metal coating to form on the desired object. Soil or dirt is first removed from the desired object and often, the underlying metal is pretreated before being placed into a chrome plating vat.

Depending on the type of metal being plated, the process requires different pretreatments to etch the metal for specific metal types to roughen surfaces and prepare the metal for chrome plating.

An electric current is then run through the plating bath for a specific amount of time. Metal objects can be plated at a slow rate or a fast rate depending on the current. The amount of time required varies based on the thickness of the chrome plating needed and the current applied.

The Chrome Plating Process​

Chrome plating is offered through two main processes: hexavalent chromium plating and trivalent chromium plating.

Hexavalent chromium plating is a traditional form of chrome plating and is mostly used for functional purposes.

Trivalent chromium plating is the eco-friendly solution to the traditional chrome plating option and uses chromium sulfate or chromium chloride as key ingredients in replacement of chromium trioxide.

Types of Chrome Plating​

There are many advantages to chrome plating. Not only does it make objects look new and aesthetically pleasing, but it is also highly useful in restorative work and preservation of expensive engineering parts. There are two types of chrome plating, hard chrome plating and decorative chrome plating, and the type of chrome plating used is highly dependent on what it is needed for.

Hard Chrome Plating​

Hard chrome plating, also known as industrial or engineered chrome plating, is a type of chrome plating that provides a very heavy coat of chromium on engineering parts that are typically made of steel. This helps preserve the lifespan of the parts and can provide high resistance to corrosion and wear of expensive metal objects. It is also used to prevent seizing of parts and increase durability.

Examples of parts that require hard chrome finishes include hydraulic cylinder rods, molds, piston rings, and more. Hard chrome plating coats layers of chrome up to 0.025 of an inch in thickness and while it still maintains its shiny appearance, it is not used for aesthetic or decorative purposes.

I

Island

My understanding is the feather is 316L stainless with chrome plating (I'm not sure which method). But it is not CNC milled.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I understand that razor geometry, milling, and polishing are likely more important that which type of metal is used for a razor. But I have noticed that about 3/4 of solid stainless steel razors use 303 or 304 steel rather than the more corrosion resistant marine grade 316 steel. Feather's AS-D2 goes further and chromium plates the steel. This not only increases corrosion resistance but is almost twice as hard and scratch resistant as stainless steel itself. Is there a reason this is not used more commonly? Are there downsides?

I will answer in two parts, the first is MIM cast stainless steel and CNC-ed steel for razor heads.

I have no idea if Feather uses MIM or CNC, and it does not matter in the end. MIM cast requires some effort to remove the cast marks and CNC is often seen as more precise and superior, but if well done the differences are neglible.
Mühle produced the Rocca first as partial MIM cast with CNC finishing, but then found it easier production wise to just go full CNC. Edwin Jagger makes the 3ONE6, which is based on the very same core design as the Rocca but with a different safety bar, as MIM cast. But it is beautifully finished, no issues there.
So if Feather used CNC, MIM or a mix of both for the head... doesn't really matter.

Platings and coatings offer extra protection, but they always wear off over time. Some slower than others. Rhodium platings last very, very long and make anything shiny. Chrome isn't that long lived. But how long? Fatips usually wear off quickly. But there is also "Hard Chromed", which supposedly lasts longer. The wear is sometimes worse, sometimes not as bad. For end users, it is hard to predict. Actually, impossible.

Sometimes even finish of razors heads are difficult for PVD coatings. More often bead blasting/sand blasting is used nowadays to get rid of machining marks, tumbling and, for larger razor makers like DSCosmetics, electropolishing.

As for 303 and 316L: Yes, 316L is more corrosion resistant. So is titanium. Interestingly, 316L is more scratch resistant than many titanium alloys, while never as strong/hard.

Now it comes again down to doesn't really matter: 303 and 316L are both more than up to the corrosion threat they are facing when shaving and getting stored later, maybe not cleaned at all, to dry off on their own.

Instead of additional corrosion protection, the coating can and is often rather used to hide machining marks and to make the product SHINY.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Feather's real business is the manufacturing of medical supplies, and shaving tools are only a small part of their revenue.

Therefore, Feather manufactures razors in accordance with its own strict requirements for medical equipment, and additionally chrome-plated 316L stainless steel to maximize rust resistance. Although this is overkill, it highlights the Japanese character.

They were also the first company to use MIM technology to manufacture razors, and their creativity opened a new page in razor history.
MIM products are often used in automobile engines and brackets, so there is no doubt about their sturdiness.

The AS-D2 is definitely MiM cast, not CNC milled.

As for the addition of the chrome plating, it's a genius idea, imo. There is no such thing as a stainless steel that won't corrode. Some are more corrosion-resistant than others, but they are not impervious. The chrome plating virtually assures a lifetime of uncomplicated use. To me, there are no downsides.

Top Bottom