What's new

Stainless Steel: Friend or Foe??

Hello everyone, this is my second thread. First let me say I'm a complete beginner and have only shaved three times with my straight so any advice is good, you are the experts. I bought a Thiers Issard razor with stainless steel scales; I am not sure if this was a good idea or a bad one. Are there any pros and cons of using stainless steel scales??

P.S. I'm sorry if this was covered in another thread, I tried to search for it.

Cheers,
Arty

Pros - same as plastic/resin scales - no corrosion or water damage worries

Cons - may look like a medical instrument.

Really, there's no right or wrong, its all about personal taste.

Enjoy the razor, that's the most important thing.

Welcome to the site!

I agree with all Suzuki and jlander said I had a Dovo with the stainless scales it was very unbalanced to hold not so much to shave with but to strop or hone no matter how I held or angled it was just awkward, I had Bill Ellis rescale it with a set of his custom scales needless to say it is perfect now :biggrin:.

Right. The only obvious mistake you've made is to NOT post pictures of said razor. :confused: If I wanted threads without pictures I'd hang out in the shaving cream forum.

If you like the way the razor looks and handles that's all that is important - apart from posting pics for the rest of us that is.

Right. The only obvious mistake you've made is to NOT post pictures of said razor. :confused: If I wanted threads without pictures I'd hang out in the shaving cream forum.

If you like the way the razor looks and handles that's all that is important - apart from posting pics for the rest of us that is.

Hey, wait a second! Pics of shave cream are required as well!

Thanks everyone for the tips, here are some pictures. Sorry about the poor quality but I couldn't find the cable that connects my camera to my computer, so I had to use my phone. It doesn't do the blade justice:frown: Also, I'm beginning to get what I think are soap stains on the blade, is this just from poor rinsing and cleaning?

Looks nice!

AS said before, those stainless scales can make the balance a bit wierd, other than that, they're fine.

Thiers Issard razors are well known for easily getting water spots. It's due to the high carbon steel.

As soon as you are done with your shave, wash and dry your razor.

Before you wash your face.

Before you wash your brush.

Before you do ANYTHING, wash and dry your razor!

And if you're not going to use it the very next day, throw some oil on there for good measure.

The blade is 99% of the deal, and TI blades are very, very nice.
Your SS scales look nice. I’ll assume they are heavy. I have the proverbial Wapi with SS scales. They are ugly, heavy and I just plain old like the feel and balance (or lack there of) of my Wapi. Most people hate the Wapi balance even if they like the blade. In a world where YMMV, I’m getting good mileage from my stainless scales. But then I’m weird. And it is nice to have scales that are tough enough that I don’t have to worry about water messing them up.

Looks nice!

AS said before, those stainless scales can make the balance a bit wierd, other than that, they're fine.

Thiers Issard razors are well known for easily getting water spots. It's due to the high carbon steel.

As soon as you are done with your shave, wash and dry your razor.

Before you wash your face.

Before you wash your brush.

Before you do ANYTHING, wash and dry your razor!

And if you're not going to use it the very next day, throw some oil on there for good measure.

+1 This is exactly how I would manage this razor. If you have some water spots, use a little metal polish like Maas or Flitz. It should clean up like new.

if you want to see what my Dovo looked liked before just check it out on classic shaving,Here is the after picture mine is the top razor :biggrin:

Gorgeous!

I always wonder about metal lined scales with respect to putting marks on the blade. Is the aluminum just soft enough that it would never leave a mark on the hard steel of the razor? Sounds reasonable, but I'm paranoid. :skep:

What about stainless scales? Any issue there?

Gorgeous!

I always wonder about metal lined scales with respect to putting marks on the blade. Is the aluminum just soft enough that it would never leave a mark on the hard steel of the razor? Sounds reasonable, but I'm paranoid. :skep:

The Ellis liners are perfect no unnecessary contact I can't see any issue ever, now the original stainless scales were extremely tight up against the blade I had to be very careful closing it the tolerance was that close but as you can see it did not scratch the blade, I guess like with all things as long as it is done right it will work

On my behalf the stainless steel of my Dovo #1885 Renaissance has proven to be a PITA (not the bread) to hone. It holds the edge very well but it's hard to get there.

Gorgeous!

Aluminum is much softer than razor steel. You can actually use crumpled up aluminum foil to polish your razors without scratching them up! Works pretty good too with slightly tarnished blades.

And yeah, that Dovo #41 blade is one of my favorites (mine also came with teh stainless scales, which were promtly binned...), and looks like pure class in those beautiful scales by Mr. Ellis! Super job!

Aluminum is much softer than razor steel. You can actually use crumpled up aluminum foil to polish your razors without scratching them up! Works pretty good too with slightly tarnished blades...

Yes, I'm ashamed I even asked the question (I'm a geologist by training). I didn't know about polishing with foil though - neat. As I said I'm just overly paranoid about scratching a blade having recently spent far too much time with sandpaper and this lady.

full

I'm tempted to christen her "Carpal Tunnel".

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!:w00t:

My friend, now that razor deserves it's own thread or something! Do you have the "before" shots of it?

Damn, I like it! And I know all too well about the carpal tunnel syndrome....:frown:

But that razor looks like it was worth it!

Or maybe not.....probably doesn't shave that well...gets caught up in whiskers if you skip a day shaving, right?

Thanks!

I have one picture of her in her 'before' attire (which I expect some might have seen elsewhere :tongue:). I'll have to dig it up and post it a bit later if I can get the kid down for a much needed nap.

I can tell you though she has been a real challenge on the hone. Took me more than twice as long to set a bevel as any other blade I've tried. I'm hoping that bodes well for a good edge when she finally takes one.

And I'm hoping she'll scare the whiskers off, no matter how old they are :eek: .

Top Bottom