What's new

SPLENDID Greek shaving powder

Yes there is a small street called "Frizi".You are well informed.
As for this shave powder it needs only a little water when lathering.It has very good slickness and the cushion is there.To achieve best results it needs some time working the lather and trying different methods.Of course every soap has It's learning curve.

P.s Some Faena soaps can be found through some U.K and USA based vendors.

I always wondered how shaving powder works. I guess it's a powdered soap with some kind of lathering agents?
I think so, it seems like a soap that has been ground to powder, and in this case the foaming agent is the sodium bicarbonate.

So, basically, you have your soap (sodium olivate) and your foaming agent (sodium bicarbonate), you add some salt (sodium chloride) to improve viscosity, and some citric acid to balance the pH level.

With this type of powder you really need 2 good hot water wash / rinse preps to first get the beard ready,or perhaps he didn't use enough or failed to take enough time to really massage the face with it. I took about 3 minutes to massage it in.
Probably more to do with the shavette than the lather; those things are extremely difficult to use well.

I wonder if there's any video of a shave powder in use? When was this stuff at it's peak popularity? Why did it decline?

Ps is this stuff widely available? My girlfriend is Greek, I might ask her to look for some of this stuff next time she visits home.

Ps is this stuff widely available? My girlfriend is Greek, I might ask her to look for some of this stuff next time she visits home.
You will not find it in supermarkets and such, but you may find it in barber shops and specialized online stores (I gave some links above).

Trivia fact: According to Greek wikipedia, the company behind this soap, viz., Alepoudelis, was owned by the family of Odysseas Elytis, the Greek Nobelist in Literature.

I love this board. Thanks for sharing folks. Until this morning, I didn't even know such a thing as shaving powder even existed. A new realm is opening up.

I think so, it seems like a soap that has been ground to powder, and in this case the foaming agent is the sodium bicarbonate.

So, basically, you have your soap (sodium olivate) and your foaming agent (sodium bicarbonate), you add some salt (sodium chloride) to improve viscosity, and some citric acid to balance the pH level.

It's like a bath bomb for your face.

No doubt the rationale for doing so was to attempt to generate lather faster, perhaps even without a brush.

Probably more to do with the shavette than the lather; those things are extremely difficult to use well.

I wonder if there's any video of a shave powder in use? When was this stuff at it's peak popularity? Why did it decline?

Before WW2 you could always find it at well stocked drug stores, but it was less popular than brushless creams...
SHAV.jpg
SHA.jpg

You will not find it in supermarkets and such, but you may find it in barber shops and specialized online stores (I gave some links above).

Trivia fact: According to Greek wikipedia, the company behind this soap, viz., Alepoudelis, was owned by the family of Odysseas Elytis, the Greek Nobelist in Literature.

That's correct. Alepoudelis is the family name, Elytis is a pen name.

I had a lovely couple of weeks in Greece about 10 years ago with my Greek friend Yanni. Mykonos, Thessaloniki, Athens, Ioannana.
Beautiful part of the world.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
This is super interesting; thanks, guys!

We really like Greek olive oil soap bath bars - they last forever.

AA

I live in Greece and bought some today. I will be trying it tomorrow. It cost me 3.90 euros. I have no idea how this will lather.
Chris..... it will not "lather ", it only "coats " the face with lubrication, it's invisible !....Wash and rinnse face twice, leave face wet , massage a few shakes of powder between hands, rub together, then massage onto face. Reapply as needed. Rinse hands before grabbing razor , this stuff is very slippery !

Chris..... it will not "lather ", it only "coats " the face with lubrication, it's invisible !....Wash and rinnse face twice, leave face wet , massage a few shakes of powder between hands, rub together, then massage onto face. Reapply as needed. Rinse hands before grabbing razor , this stuff is very slippery !
Really! I thought you could use a brush. O.k. thanks

Top Bottom