What's new

SPLENDID Greek shaving powder

I imagine the Greeks are amongst the last to sell shaving powders.I know of 2 , and I think there is a third as well.This is my first try at a powder,and I was surprised at the quality of the shave.It's basically dehydrated olive oil and a few other things that emulsify when mixed with water.I simply did a good 2 wash/rinse preps ,then squirted a little powder into my wet hands and rubbed them together to create a non foaming "lather".This plastic jug of powder must be good for a years shaves,just a tiny amount produces a nourishing lather......When you squeeze the jug a very very tiny amount puffs into your hand,the orifice on the jug is the size of the tip of a safety pin,very tiny.Warning ! this stuff is micro fine powder,squeeze gently or you'll get some up your nose!...Doesn't burn,but can make you sneeze !....To my dismay ,the paper labels are so cheap and crappy that a quick contact with my wet hands wrinkled and cracked them a bit,how much extra could good water resistant labels cost ?....Anyway,after it dries thoroughly I will wrap it in a zip lock bag and only squeeze the bag,I like pristine labels as much as you guys do !...A great shave...smooth,trouble free,zero scent and left the skin soft and pliable.Splendid Powder is really a nice shaving implement,I really like it,and efcharisto to Tilemaxos of Chalkida for the wonderful gift..

Attachments

• $DSCN0821.jpg
    $DSCN0821.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 193
  • $DSCN0822.jpg
    $DSCN0822.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 192
  • $DSCN0830.jpg
    $DSCN0830.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 179
  • $DSCN0824.jpg
    $DSCN0824.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 182
Here is another Greek shaving powder called HERMES....I think one more powder is still in production as well....How many of these treasures are hiding around the world we haven't discovered yet ???

Attachments

• $hermes   shave powder.jpg
    $hermes shave powder.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: nav
Hermes shaving powder is discontinued since 70's if i am not mistaken.
Glad you liked Splendid my friend Ron.Everything you said about Splendid is correct,from the label till the lather.
It is a very very good lather.If someone uses a shavvette then this is the best products to use.Excellent lather and almost no scent-just plain olive oil smelled but quite faint.Also the ingredient list is small so it is perfect for sensitive skins.

I could smell a nice , but very very faint hint of olive fruit scent, but after mixing with water almost zero scent.The non foaming lather provides excellent glide , and rinses from the blade easily.

I have used several different shave powders but the one I used were the vintage ones. They were Colgate, Williams and Ovil Tone this was my favorite. Where do you buy the modern powder from?

If anyone wants to try this powder send me a p.m and we can arrange a way to try this powder soap.

Last edited:
Translation!!!
The label says:"This soap,of excellent quality,makes plenty of lather and fat(obviously lather!),softens the beard and costs only a little,because only a little quantity is aquired to achieve a shave"

The big label"Σπλεντιντ" is "Splendid"
In the third photo it says:"to use it,take out this label"

Last edited:
I have used several different shave powders but the one I used were the vintage ones. They were Colgate, Williams and Ovil Tone this was my favorite. Where do you buy the modern powder from?

It was a gift...no online source as far as I know.

Translation!!!
The label says:"This soap,of excellent quality,makes plenty of lather and fat(obviously lather!),softens the beard and costs only a little,because only a little quantity is aquired to achieve a shave"

The orifice cover label is not sticky enough to reapply , I don't want moisture to get in the jug so I will keep it in a tightly closed ziplock bag.

I remember a nice older barber in Thessaloniki shaving me with the Splendit and it gave me a bit of an irritation, especially on the second pass. I really didn't enjoy the shave too much.

I remember a nice older barber in Thessaloniki shaving me with the Splendit and it gave me a bit of an irritation, especially on the second pass. I really didn't enjoy the shave too much.
With this type of powder you really need 2 good hot water wash / rinse preps to first get the beard ready,or perhaps he didn't use enough or failed to take enough time to really massage the face with it. I took about 3 minutes to massage it in.

Translation!!!

Apo pou eisai stin Elladha, file mou? :001_smile

With this type of powder you really need 2 good hot water wash / rinse preps to first get the beard ready,or perhaps he didn't use enough or failed to take enough time to really massage the face with it. I took about 3 minutes to massage it in.

Perhaps you're right. He did work sort of fast.

I am From Chalkida.
Btw Faena soaps you are talking are very very good!
The barber who shaved you might didn't know how to lather properly splendid.Splendid needs some time to work fine.

I am From Chalkida.
Btw Faena soaps you are talking are very very good!
The barber who shaved you might didn't know how to lather properly splendid.Splendid needs some time to work fine.

Chalkida, did you say? God bless you, my dear friend. I'm I'm not mistaken, there was a colonel in the Greek army during WW2 named Mordechai Frizis who came from your city. I lived in Thessaloniki for 15 years. Such beautiful memories. Perhaps the barber was in too much of a hurry because the lather from the Splendit was not that good at all. I'm hoping to get a couple of Faena soaps in the near future. Zito Elladha!

Top Bottom