What's new

SPLENDID Greek shaving powder

This forum is such a plethora of knowledge with its representation of so many different cultures, countries and experiences. I’ve never been a part of a forum with so much diversity. Posts like this make me glad to be here. I look forward to more info on these shave powders.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Chris..... it will not "lather ", it only "coats " the face with lubrication, it's invisible !....Wash and rinnse face twice, leave face wet , massage a few shakes of powder between hands, rub together, then massage onto face. Reapply as needed. Rinse hands before grabbing razor , this stuff is very slippery !
It does lather. It lathers well actually

Apparently, this soap has been reformulated and now smells and lathers better. Sadly, I have used neither the old one, nor the new one, but I plan to get the new one when I visit Greece.

Old ingredients:
sodium olivate (saponified olive oil), sodium bicarbonate (soda), water, sodium chloride (salt), citric acid

New ingredients:
Sodium Olivate (Saponified Oilve Oil), Aqua, Parfum, Sodium Chloride, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, Citric Acid, Limonene, Linalool, Citronellol, Citral.

The soap is now being manufactured by the Elaa Shaving Company. Elaa (Ελάα) is the Doric dialect form of Elia (Ελιά), the usual Greek word for olive.

There is the following video (in Greek) where a guy makes a test lather and leaves it on his face to see how long it lasts, and it looks like proper lather:

He basically confirms that there is no comparison with the older version in terms of lather quality, as the new one is significantly better.

σπλεντιτ.jpg

Apparently, this soap has been reformulated and now smells and lathers better. Sadly, I have used neither the old one, nor the new one, but I plan to get the new one when I visit Greece.

Old ingredients:

New ingredients:

The soap is now being manufactured by the Elaa Shaving Company. Elaa (Ελάα) is the Doric dialect form of Elia (Ελιά), the usual Greek word for olive.

There is the following video (in Greek) where a guy makes a test lather and leaves it on his face to see how long it lasts, and it looks like proper lather:

He basically confirms that there is no comparison with the older version in terms of lather quality, as the new one is significantly better.

View attachment 1386309
I have the old formula, no lather, but great lubrication . Very close to zero scent , the new formula looks great !

Friends have told me, that there is a shave cream from Greece called " Apivita "
In my experience, this is a good company that makes products with high quality content, but they can be a hit or miss in terms of effectiveness, and in this case, based on some reviews that I saw on the most famous Greek e-shop, the cream seems to be a miss. Most often complaints are: it doesn't lather, it is very sticky and has the texture of mud, it dries out easily and makes shaving hard.

Ingredients: Aqua (Water), Behenyl Alcohol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate, Glycerin, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Palmitic acid, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Palmitate, Sorbitol, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Cedrus Atlantica (Bark) Oil, Hypericum Perforatum ( Flower/Leaf/Stem) Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Elettaria Cardamomum Seed, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, Sambucus Nigra Flower Extract, Elettaria Cardamomum Seed Oil, Butylene Glycol, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Salvia Sclarea (Clary) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Extract, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Maltooligosyl Glucoside, Propolis Extract, Saponaria Officinalis Leaf Extract, Potassium Hydroxide, Caprylyl Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Sodium Hydroxide, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate

As you can see the cream has a ton of good natural ingredients, but I guess it is not very good for shaving. I would give it a try though if I find it, because even if it doesn't work for shaving, I could use it in my post shaving routine somehow!

Fabulous variety of products and great prices. I imagine shipping from Greece will really boost the bottom line.
I would certainly go for the following one (though the translation seems unfortunate?):

Screenshot from 2022-01-01 20-53-04.png

It is not a shaving soap per se, but I have heard incredible things about donkey milk.

Top Bottom