What's new

Southern Witchcrafts Lycanthropy

Third in the lineup - Lycanthropy. And I'll lead by saying it doesn't remind me of werewolves in the least. Maybe if the werewolf rolled in your Spring blooming garden, sharpened his claws on a Fir tree, and then tried to sneak up on you in the dark. Upwind in a soft Southern breeze. Maybe then. Performance of the soap is excellent, as I've come to expect from SW. I can't emphasize how impressed I am that this is a vegan soap - could have fooled me. Quickly lathers into a thick, soft, cushiony lather, the equal of anything I've tried. AS again complements perfectly.

Scent notes. Atypically for SW I've come to find, not a Fall or Winter seasonal in my opinion, although it would certainly serve as a holiday scent very well. Not an easy fragrance to describe, and I'm beginning to appreciate the complexity of all Southern Witchcrafts' scents. SW describes it as "an aromatic midnight garden under a full moon." I could go with that. Scent notes are described as Fir tree, lilac, musk, mildew (not sure about the "mildew" thing - they use that as a descriptor in many of their fragrances, and I detect none), moss, Egyptian jasmine, palo santo, white sage, ozone. So a lot going on here. Simplifying what I sense, first impression out of the jar and on using, is very forward jasmine, with a hint of lilac in the background. And an earthy garden undertone of petrichor and faint resinous balsam, but far in the back. A musky, heady floral, as opposed to a light, fougere floral, but floral overall, and still very masculine. A perfect scent for a warm Summer evening in the garden. Under a full moon. Minus, of course, the werewolves....

20200430_111211.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for your review. While I have no idea what that smells like based on their description, I am eager to try it at some point.

Many of their scents strike a memory in me. It’s not easy to describe the stir of emotions remembering springtime in Michigan on the farm as a young boy kicking up the damp leaves in the doorway of my grandparents broken down barn.
Tres Matres

Many of their scents strike a memory in me. It’s not easy to describe the stir of emotions remembering springtime in Michigan on the farm as a young boy kicking up the damp leaves in the doorway of my grandparents broken down barn.
Tres Matres

Actually, next on the list!

Tried a sample of this today. Lilac Vegetal and damp basement. But not in a bad way. Of course, I'm one of those types that like the Veg.... All of their samples I have tried so far have a musty, earthy like undertone. Some stronger than others. Having said that, I do like it.

Tried a sample of this today. Lilac Vegetal and damp basement. But not in a bad way. Of course, I'm one of those types that like the Veg.... All of their samples I have tried so far have a musty, earthy like undertone. Some stronger than others. Having said that, I do like it.
Great description. Their scents are so wrong, yet so right

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lycanthropy does indeed have a lot going on, scent wise. I smelled something almost orangey in the box. Puzzling, as not mentioned in the profile. Then it dawned on me!

Palo santo. The holy/medicine incense wood is strongly present, to me. I have some palo santo and occasionally burn it, along with Greek church incense.

But this opens up something almost disturbing. Palo santo has powers, if you believe such things. It isn't just a scent.

Food for thought. And as others reported, the Southern Witchcraft base is excellent, both in slickness and post shave. One of those where you don't need aftershave.

Now do I like the scent? I still don't know! It's so complex, I can't yet tell!

AA

I've only tried 4 scents from Southern Witchcrafts, and Lycanthropy is my favorite. I did have a chance to smell all of their soaps off the puck in one sitting, and took my 4 favorites home with me (full size Lycanthropy, and the other 3 as samples). There were some other decent options, and there were some that my nose didn't care for.

Either way, it's great soap and I'm really happy with it. I'm a big fan.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I've only tried 4 scents from Southern Witchcrafts, and Lycanthropy is my favorite. I did have a chance to smell all of their soaps off the puck in one sitting, and took my 4 favorites home with me (full size Lycanthropy, and the other 3 as samples). There were some other decent options, and there were some that my nose didn't care for.

Either way, it's great soap and I'm really happy with it. I'm a big fan.

Great to hear, @hotelmode . Most of them were sold out, when I looked - of course, I wanted Samhain!

This one is weird stuff, but one I keep "investigating." What will it smell like next?

Being vegan, I'm encouraged it won't change or lose scent. I've had several tallow soaps fade or go "off."

AA

Top Bottom