What's new

Southern Witch & Wizards' Guild

SOTD - 2024-03-12

Beard Growth: 36 Hours
Prep: Hot Shower,CeraVe Foaming Face Wash
PreShave:Proraso Sensitive Pre-Shave
Brush: Yaqi - Sagrada Familia Synthetic

Razor: Parker Variant Adjustable (Open Comb)
Blade: Winner Black
Passes: WTG x2 ( Settings: 2.5,4)
Razor+Blade Combination Rating:8/10

Lather: Sothern Witchcrafts - Tres Martes
Lather Rating: 8/10
Lather Fragrance Rating: 8/10
PostShave: Proraso Sensitive Balm,Stetson Aftershave

Shave Rating: 8/10

Comments: Great soap which smells great! Got an empty tub from Maggard, just enough for one shave unfortunately, wondering if it’ll ever come back in stock 🤔

Can't speak highly enough of the Variant razor, as soon as I felt tugging on the 1st pass, I bumped up the settings and boom... back to smooth. After the second pass, brought it down to 1 to clean up under the nose and buff the chin area. Really good experience!

IMG_4415.jpeg

SOTD - 2024-03-16

Beard Growth: 24 Hours
Prep: Hot Shower,CeraVe Foaming Face Wash
PreShave: None
Brush: Yaqi - Mysterious Space Synthetic

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Feather
Passes: WTG x2
Razor+Blade Combination Rating: 9/10

Lather: Southern Witchcrafts - Fougere Nemeta
PostShave: Southern Witchcrafts - Fougere Nemeta After Shave Splash
IMG_4438.jpeg

Lather: Southern Witchcrafts - Fougere Nemeta
PostShave: Southern Witchcrafts - Fougere Nemeta After Shave Splash
How do you like Fougere Nemeta? How would you describe the scent? It was discontinued when I got my samples so I haven’t tried it, but I see it appear on BST every now and again.

How do you like Fougere Nemeta? How would you describe the scent? It was discontinued when I got my samples so I haven’t tried it, but I see it appear on BST every now and again.
It’s a great scent, brighter than their typical scents, which I like actually.

Very grassy and floral, patchouli (or maybe lavender) is also dominant. Perfect for spring, but I don’t think it’s in their usual style with the dirt or mildew notes etc. It’s a collab with a perfumer Shawn Maher so that probably explains it.

Thanks, @haulage. I hadn’t picked it up before since I had too many other soaps but I’m on the verge of finishing a couple so I might if I see it again.
If you can find it, then I say give it a shot! I went through a full size puck two years ago. In addition to the strong grassy, forest scents, their is a strong strawberry note to it. A very unique product!

If you can find it, then I say give it a shot! I went through a full size puck two years ago. In addition to the strong grassy, forest scents, their is a strong strawberry note to it. A very unique product!
I enjoy it as well. It’s interesting how things smell different from person to person. I don’t get much in the way of strawberry scent but it’s been awhile since I’ve used it

Yes I barely got any strawberry in the sample I got as well. It's what I would imagine a spring fougere smelling like with just barely a little strawberry in background. A little lighter on scent than others I consider it like a druantia level, or a tad more maybe.

I enjoy it as well. It’s interesting how things smell different from person to person. I don’t get much in the way of strawberry scent but it’s been awhile since I’ve used it
This discussion prompted me to see which samples I have left. I do have a sample that I never opened so I found that the Strawberry is there but it is more subtle. What may have skewed my results are the accompanying splash. I gave that one away to one of my colleagues at work. For me, the splash was mostly strawberry. My wife was not a fan of that one.

I got boonana and at first seemed to have a mixed opinion on it. I don't think I was getting all the notes smelled kind of complex chocolate and some other stuff, but after a few days could focus more on the banana. I like it so much aftershave is on the way. This could be my number one, or two I'm not sure with autumn ash. Also got desairology mixed feelings on this too, but really awesome scent strength maybe it'll grow on me.

If you like Desairology, you may want to give Samhain a try. They share some notes, and Samhain is a bit warmer smell.

On Desairology, I really like smelling the soap from the sample jar, but like it a little less when lathered. Most soaps are the same or get better when lathered for me. Does anyone else have a similar experience with this or any soap?

Desairology is kinda middle of the road for me, but could change more once lathered. Think I have tried most of them now besides out of production ones plus valley of ashes, carpathia, and trc gothorum tonstrina. I think those ones just have a passive interest for me. Carpathia might be more appealing around christmas or winter. Maybe valley of ashes could be awesome, but the notes don't seem to call out to me.

Since I’m very low on Gothorum Tonstrina, I sought my wife’s opinion tonight on my 4 favorite current-production SW samples to replace it with. Presented to her in random order:
  1. Frowned, “not really” (Desairology 😢)
  2. “Oh, I like this one!” (Druantia)
  3. “Ugh, no!” (Autumn Ash)
  4. “This one’s ok” (Samhain)
She’s commented positively on Samhain in the past without being prompted, so I think she’d come around. But it looks like I’ll be buying a Druantia soap/splash set plus maybe a tub of Samhain, or maybe I get a tub of Desairology anyway and only use it when it’s just me.

Last edited:
Of those, Ms. SpaceMonkey liked Samhain the best. Her initial reaction to Autumn Ash was similar, I think she didn't like the sharpness of the smoke scent direct from the tub. She liked it much more when it was lathered up and she was just smelling the scent wafting in the bathroom. That balances it out more. So maybe try another sniff test each time you use one?

Since I’m very low on Gothorum Tonstrina, I sought my wife’s opinion tonight on my 4 favorite current-production SW samples to replace it with. Presented to her in random order:
  1. Frowned, “not really” (Desairology 😢)
  2. “Oh, I like this one!” (Druantia)
  3. “Ugh, no!” (Autumn Ash)
  4. “This one’s ok” (Samhain)
She’s commented positively on Samhain in the past without being prompted, so I think she’d come around. But it looks like I’ll be buying a Druantia soap/splash set plus maybe a tub of Samhain, or maybe I get a tub of Desairology anyway and only use it when it’s just me.
Of all the SW products, my wife likes Carpathia the best. It has what she describes as a masculine scent.
She's good with Druantia as well. For me, all their soaps are outstanding. My 'workaround' is that I finish all my shaves with the same aftershave. It's one of those polarizing scents. I like it and thankfully so does she.

Of those, Ms. SpaceMonkey liked Samhain the best. Her initial reaction to Autumn Ash was similar, I think she didn't like the sharpness of the smoke scent direct from the tub. She liked it much more when it was lathered up and she was just smelling the scent wafting in the bathroom. That balances it out more. So maybe try another sniff test each time you use one?
I love all 4 of those so I’ll buy full tubs of all of them at some point, provided they remain in production. So I’ll have a chance to revisit the question on all of them. ISTR @cajunrph ’s wife also had the same reaction to Autumn Ash, but eventually came around, so there’s hope!
:thumbup1:

Mostly I was wondering if she’d have a favorite scent that I’d buy a soap/splash set of, and Druantia was the clear winner.

Of all the SW products, my wife likes Carpathia the best. It has what she describes as a masculine scent.
I think mine would like Carpathia too based on other scents that she likes. But I used up my Carpathia sample long ago. It’s in my 4.5-star tier, and I was only going to ask about my 5-star scents so as to not overwhelm. 😀

I think mine would like Carpathia too based on other scents that she likes. But I used up my Carpathia sample long ago. It’s in my 4.5-star tier, and I was only going to ask about my 5-star scents so as to not overwhelm. 😀
My Canadian distributor is only listing three soaps and all are sold out.
Gravefruit II, Incorporeal, and Druantia.

I hope you have a better selection south of the 49th!

Top Bottom