What's new

Sourcing good Bay Rums in the EU

Hi all,

I want to stock up on some quality Bay Rum aftershaves/colognes.

I did go through a Bay Rum sampler from Barclay Crocker about ten years ago but honestly none of the sixteen or so samples really made a good impression. The Bay Rum product I've liked the best so far was the Ogallala Bay Rum Lime & Peppercorns shave soap which smelled really good.

From reading up some of the best smelling options looks to be PAA (Atomic and Classic), Barberry Coast, Gilbert Henry and Barrister & Mann (and the Ogallala mentioned above of course). Are these the best options? Primary interest being scent rather than aftershave properties.

It seems that American vendors have stopped shipping internationally due to the carriers refusing to ship products containing alcohol. Except for one UK based shop that normally carries Barrister & Mann (currently sold out) I have not found any other options for the above mentioned Bay Rums. Have I missed some vedors established within the EU or that still ship internationally?

Thanks!

Peter

Try gifts and care or your shaving in Spain, and rasoi good fellas in Italy. I haven’t checked the specific models you mention, but I believe they carry some PAA and other US-made products

Also, have a look at DR Harris Bay Rum aftershave, made in the UK

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My favourite bay rum aftershave is Pashana American Bay Rum Hair Tonic. But, but, but, that's a hair tonic! Yes I know but it works fantastically well as an aftershave and smells great! And boy does it burn! I love it 👍

TOBS bay rum is outstanding! Most lasting and soothing of my various bay rums.
Not sure how to get it into Sweden, however!

mitchells wool fat morris forndran feather taylor of old bond street bay rum june 27 2019.jpg

Captains Choice Cat O nine Tails is a superb splash. Maybe not a "true" bay rum but close . Plus strong and long-lasting.

Superior 70 BR is a true bay rum. Simple, subtle, and natural smelling. But doesn't last long. I add a little Avon Tribute to Sup 70 and it comes out smelling just like Avon vintage Bay Rum (which is generally considered the best BR ever). Your mileage may vary.

Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum. Lovely cloves forward bay rum scent, sadly not long lasting. Also I am pretty sure there is an English site that sells Stirling aftershaves.

Thank you so much for all the responses so far! In particular the names of the EU-based retailers that I've never heard of before. Much appreciated.

I've tried Dr Harris and TOBS before and while nice haven't impressed me with their logevity. I suppose bay rum aftershaves shouldn't be expected to last as EDT's but that's what I'm looking for.

I noticed PAA sells their bay rum as a solid scent too. Never tried that before so I might give it a go as international shipping shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone have any experience with solid scents in general or PAA solid scents in particular?

Top Bottom