What's new

Colonel Conk Bay Rum Shave Soap - The new formulation!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
This post may be on the long side...please bear with me. I recently watched a Shave Nation video...the proprietor using Colonel Conk's Bay Rum shave soap...a new formulation...no longer microwaveable/melt-able. Anyway, he seemed to like the soap and I thought I would give it a try. I have Colonel Conk's Bay Rum aftershave which I like very much, so I knew the scent at least would be nice. To make a long story much shorter...I decided to get some of Colonel Conk's shave soap in the old (melt-able) formula to melt and put in a few slices of a different tallow-based soap...was going to make a Frankenstein shave soap of my own. But no matter where I ordered the Colonel Conk shave soap...I always received the new formula. The end result of this was that I had 4 pucks of Colonel Conk Bay Rum shave soap in the new formula. One puck I would keep and use for shaving, but I now had a lifetime supply. What to do...what to do?

Abandoning my "make your own soap" experiment, I decided that I would try Colonel Conk Bay Rum shave soap as a bath soap. I can tell you now that I am thoroughly impressed. This may become my new bath bar. Not only does it smell fantastic, but it lathers like an exploding bomb and it agrees with my skin and hair! A failed experiment becomes a great find! And...just in case you're wondering, it's a decent shave soap as well...plenty slick...good performer.

Colonel Conk...I'm hooked!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 I was gifted the whole Conk set. They're decent, reminds me of Mama Bear's stuff. Poor performers are sent to the showers, but excess could too, I guess. Ironically there are bath soaps that work well for shaving, too.

Frankensoaps are fun to make and almost always work better than the individuals, IMO.

AA

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Ended up melting Ogallala shave soap and grating a Tabac shave stick into it. I melted the Ogallala puck three times...pouring then grating Tabac...then repeating the process so that Tabac was grated throughout each pour. Should be interesting...

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I surprized you hardly ever see the Colonel Conk soaps pictures on the SOTD or Week, I like the Bayrum in the old formula and tried to buy some of the new formula Bayrum recently but Fendrihan was sold out at the time. Ogallala has some nice Bayrum soaps also. Colonel conk is a good deal still for what you get and the skin likes it also, nice scent with excellent lather qualities a person wants for their shave IMO.

Sadly, I ended up getting four of these when I ordered from Walmart online (they still had the photos of the old one). I'm very disappointed. Not being microwaveable in my shaving mug is a complete dealbreaker. I've only bought Col. Conk for the past ten years, but I won't be buying it again. Now, I need to find something as close as possible to their old formula.

Top Bottom