What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" October 14th - October 20th, 2019

I got back from a business trip a few days ago and found three vintage razors waiting from the Bay. One was a Geo Korn, that looks like it’s had the tip ground, and is only 2 ½ long, and 4/8 width (now at least). I decided to start with that one and then discovered I was totally unprepared for restoration.

I used WD-40, sand paper, and an old toothbrush to get the bad rust off. WD-40 and some 0000 steel wool for more rust removal. I’m not sure how far I’m going on the restoration, my first, so I then moved to the edge, Pitted. I only have a 3000/8000 stone, and quickly discovered that was far below ideal. Many hours and thousands of passes later, however, it kind of had an edge.

This morning I stropped generously, and after a hot sower I shaved with it. Really cool, guys. Not necessarily smooth, but still a decent and deeply rewarding shave. I’m going to keep working on it, and then move on to the next one.

I’ve included a picture. Best to all.

Attachments

• 20191004_111752.jpg
    20191004_111752.jpg
    898.1 KB · Views: 22

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I got back from a business trip a few days ago and found three vintage razors waiting from the Bay. One was a Geo Korn, that looks like it’s had the tip ground, and is only 2 ½ long, and 4/8 width (now at least). I decided to start with that one and then discovered I was totally unprepared for restoration.

I used WD-40, sand paper, and an old toothbrush to get the bad rust off. WD-40 and some 0000 steel wool for more rust removal. I’m not sure how far I’m going on the restoration, my first, so I then moved to the edge, Pitted. I only have a 3000/8000 stone, and quickly discovered that was far below ideal. Many hours and thousands of passes later, however, it kind of had an edge.

This morning I stropped generously, and after a hot sower I shaved with it. Really cool, guys. Not necessarily smooth, but still a decent and deeply rewarding shave. I’m going to keep working on it, and then move on to the next one.

I’ve included a picture. Best to all.

What else do you have planned?

Happy shaves,

Jim

What else do you have planned?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Hey Jim,

I'm trying new things, though almost everything is new for me. Bought a few cheap razors to learn on. One was an American Razor Works I got for the scales, and I decided to polish up the blade for practice. I'm happy with my first attempt. Here are before and after pics.

I'll be putting scales I took off on another razor when the pins I ordered come in.

What are you into?

Best,
Rick

Attachments

• 20191005_145616.jpg
    20191005_145616.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 20191005_201930.jpg
    20191005_201930.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Nice blade, Rick.

I'm pretty much not doing anything right now except shaving (and testing a few soaps). There are several projects on my list - razors to hone, a few razors to rehab, a blade or two or three needing scales at least one set of which will have to be fabricated because the blade is a shorty, a very nice handle needs a broken knot removed and a new knot put in - but there's no rush.

College football is occupying me, etc.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's another "FREE WEEK" ladies and gentlemen.

It's time to be creative.

Please feel free to post any photo, with any gear and any style you chose, or contribute by telling us what you used in your shave, with comments on the shave, if you desire.

Color, B&W, sepia or a photograph with any type of artistic touch you wish is always desired.

HAVE FUN!

View attachment 1023442

What else do you have planned for this razor?

For this razor, nothing at the moment. I went a little overboard and bought a bunch of inexpensive razors from Ebay. I'm going through them to see which I like, which clean up best and how to do it, and generally trying to lift myself from pitiful to novice level.

I cleaned up a WH Morley Clover while I watched the Dallas Cowboys disgrace themselves. I'm going to shave with it in the morning.

I am looking for any hints on how to recondition the scales. I've looked, but haven't found anything comprehensive.

Best,
Rick

Menthol Monday SOTD
DSC09272.JPG

Razor: Wilkinson Empire 7 Day Set
Brush: Vie-Long 13061 Horsehair
Bowl: TW 3D Printed
Pre-Shave Scrub: Ginger Garden Enigma
Pre-Shave Balm: Grooming Dept unscented Iced
Shave Soap: Grooming Dept Aether
Balm: Organic Shea Butter
Aftershave: HTGAM Al-Fin

Date:- 07 October 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Brush:- Yaqi Sagrada Familia Tuxedo Synth. 24/53mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Ariana & Evans ~ St. Barts
Razor/Blade:- RazoRock Game Changer .84P / NOS Wizamet Super Iridium #12
Post/After-shave: T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed into the 240ml bottle with Natural Glycerin (20), Tea Tree Antiseptic (10), Lavender (15) & Peppermint (10 drops)
Fragrance:- Tommy Hilfiger for Men

Prep: Cold water
Razor : Koraat 8/8 (1/4 hollow)
Lather: Noble Otter Barbarr
Brush: AP Shave Co Blue Lagoon with Tuxedo knot
After-shave: Cold water --> Saponificio Varesino Settantesimo Anniversario (70th Anniversary) Aftershave
Fragnance : Paco Rabanne One Million

7 Oct 19
Razor:
Gillette E4 1959 Fatboy
Blade: Gillette Nacet stainless (4)
Brush: 24mm Vie-Long Peleón Horsehair
Pre-Shave: Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Lea shaving soap
Aftershave: Floid Vigoroso AS / Bodyshop Arber AS balm
Additional Care: Thayers WH
IMG_20191006_104040.jpg

Klinker

The Baron of Bokeh
DSCF0016 - Edited (1).jpg

Monday 10.07.19 SOTD
RazoRock Pre Barba Pre Shave Gel
RazoRock German 37 Slant / Gillette Nacet (1)
Semogue Owners Club Cherry Wood Boar
Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber Shaving Soap
Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber Aftershave Splash

DSCF0015 - Edited (1).jpg

Colonial V2 General
Feather Pro Super
Cold River Schapenmelk Soap
Omega Boar
Duke Cannon Ice Cold AS Balm
Cold River Citrus Maximus AS

Monday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Scots Pine Sheep
Soap: Coate’s Sandalwood Cream
Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW Short Comb
Blade: Vintage Gillette Platinum Plus (19)
Brush: Elite Razor Manchurian White-24mmx50mm
Aftershave: Stirling Sandpiper w/Menthol

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Coate’s Sandalwood Cream today. 20 seconds to load Elite Razor Manchurian White brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Vintage Gillette Platinum Plus still in the Gillette NEW Short Comb. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Stirling Sandpiper aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php

Monday

Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Best
Soap: Godrej
Razor: '62 H1 Slim Adjustable
Blade: Q-Shave
A/S: None
Cologne / Fragrance: Azzaro Night Time

Mike

Monday
Pre-shave: Neutrogena HydroBoost Cleansing Gel