What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" May 18th - May 24th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Personna PTFE blades showed up out of the blue yesterday. Man what a difference they made in this razor. 10/10

5/19/20
Green Mountain Soap Co. Lavender-Grapefruit
Muhle 31K 256 Silver Tip Fiber
11/16 Chaussis Torpedo #270
Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Strop
Omega Alum Stick
Murray & Lanman Kananga Water
Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue
SOTD5-19-20.jpg

5/20/20
Taylor of Old Band Street Royal Forest
Simpson Duke #2 in Best Badger
Edwin Jagger DE-89L
Astra (5)
Omega Alum Stick
Pitralon Classic
Nivea Sensitive Cool Post Shave Balm
Penhaligon's English Fern
SOTD5-20-20.jpg

Wednesday, 5/20:

20200520_102836.jpg

Razor - Timeless SS 0.68 scalloped
Blade - Astra SP
Brush - Wolf Whiskers Becky 24mm synthetic fan
Soap - Grooming Dept Tentazione
A/S - Supply Arenella Coast

Probably my last shave with the Timeless pass-around, and it was fantastic. I swapped out the 0.95 for the 0.68, and wow. Same Timeless smoothness, but even less blade feel, and yet the shave was still as close as with the 0.95 scalloped and OC. Couldn't believe it. I took a little too much of the GD soap that was included, but apparently left a lot of water in the brush, because I had a ton of really wet foam in the bowl. Kept working it, took it to my face and worked it more, and ended up with a beautiful shiny lather that was great in the glide and post-shave departments. I didn't like this knot when I first got the brush, but now I'm totally digging it. Splays great, paints great, there is some scrub but not too much, it's terrific. I was just blown away at how closely the 0.68 shaved; my upper lip, a very difficult area, is the closest I've gotten it in quite some time. Excellent results all-round.

[Imagen: img_1907f186-4522-4f49-800a-913471a384c9.jpg]

SOTD 05/20/2020
Italian premiere with this fabulous razor and soap, say that the Impero is very well built for its price, it hurries something more than the EJ 89 and with this fabulous handle Bulldog that brings, I find it more balanced and is that with its 80g weight just drop it and she shaves by herself.

The soap is said to be an exact copy of the SMN, which I don't appreciate very much, maybe the smell is very similar to the fresh eucalyptus, I prefer the SMN, but the glass jar and aluminium lid is a step forward in Razorock's flagship.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Estreno Italiano con esta fabulosa maquinilla y jabón, decir que la Impero está muy bien construida para su precio,apura algo más que los EJ 89 y con éste fabuloso mango Bulldog que trae ,la encuentro mas equilibrada y es que con sus 80g de peso solo hay que dejarla caer y ella por si sola te afeita.

El jabón se dice que es una copia exacta del SMN cosa que yo no aprecio mucho,quizas el aroma muy parecido con su toque a eucalipto fresco,yo prefiero la SMN son palabras mayores.Eso sí, el tarro de cristal y tapa de aluminio es un pasote en el buque insignia de Razorock.

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: IMPERO Closed Comb GOODFELLAS

Blade: WILKINSON SWORD

Brush: SIMPSONS "Chubby 2"Super Badger"

Pre-Shave: Ducha caliente

Lather: RAZOROCK Santa Maria del Fiore

Aftershave: PRORASO Eucalipto y mentol

Additional Care:

MYRSOL emulsión​

The mid-week shave! Though really it was Victoria Day here in Canada so we have only four work days this week. Happy Hump Day!

I have been on a fine run of A’crats lately and though the 34G isn’t an A’crat it is a golden beauty nonetheless. Today’s razor of choice the Gillette Aristocrat Junior made in England. This flat bottom beauty is weighty and in quite minty condition. Fantastic shaver! There is just so much quality in the feel of this razor. Not as fancy as it’s other siblings but it is quality throughout. Loaded up with a fresh Gillette Platinum.

Soap of the day Artisan Soaps Leather. I am just amazed at how wonderful this leather scent is. It’s addictive! I could live in this tub! Sad but true! Great soap period.

Lovely three pass shave and BBS achieved. Just had to linger and enjoy the scent! Topped it off with some English Leather AS and John Varvatos Dark Rebel...a leather extravaganza! So good! Enjoy the sun, your day and your shaves! Stay safe!

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat Junior 1949-52
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Rocky Mountain Barber Company - Best Badger
Lather: Artisan Soaps Leather
Aftershave: English Leather
Additional Care:
B.I.G. Co. Alum Block
John Varvatos Dark Rebel
3FDAF047-80D3-469B-B76C-160C4DD63574.jpeg

Shake Sharp mk1.0 vs Wolfman WR2 1.15 OC. Twin 7 O'clock SS in the Shake Sharp, same blade in Wolfman. Às fine as the Wolfman is, a convincing win for the Shake Sharp in efficiency, an edge in smoothness, a wipeout in handling though a lighter handle on the Wolfman would improve matters considerably on the head shave.
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

617CF777-0D69-4C35-BF4B-96E975ECEE63.jpeg

SOTD WEDNESDAY, MAY 20, 2020

After receiving my free Schick Type F, I spent a few days cleaning it up. While doing so I read extensively on what I could expect shave-wise. The most extensive practical thread was on B&B. It was started by a guy with two Type Fs, a user and what he described as a NOS model. Now I realize given the adage we all know (YMMV), different skin types and beard growth patterns yield different results. He described the F Type as a moderately aggressive shaver. That has not been my experience at all. Yesterday’s shave was extremely mild with a Chinese Schick Blade. So much so that after 4 passes I barely had what could be characterized as a CCS. The B&B writer was either a downy cheeked boy, or there were technical issues afoot. I suspected and hoped for the latter.

So for today’s shave I loaded a Schick Proline blade. The shave was slightly better, but only because I changed the shave angle such that the razor handle was perpendicular to the shave surface and applied a fair bit of pressure. This is not the way my E Type, G Type or L Type Shave. The F Type did shave, but again only a CCS, and a very uneven one at that. It was so frustrating that I pulled out my Shake Sharp and finished the shave after two frustrating ATG passes. The Shake Sharp sheared through the remaining very uneven stubble right down to the skin line. The two positives about this shave were the Nancy Boy Signature shave cream I used, and a surprisingly capable little Kent Synthetic shave brush I ignored for months after receiving it as part of the TSD Secret Santa last year.

Mantic59 described Nancy Boy as one of the best premium shave creams available in his 2019 end of year review. And he wasn’t kidding. I’ve never experienced as thick, shiny, slick and luxurious a lather from a shave cream before. This is right up there with MWF. Perfect for a nasal barbarian den, as there is no overpowering scent resulting in a happy fragrance-sensitive SWMBO. The little Kent Synthetic had great backbone which proved quite effective as it performed beautifully throughout the shave. The 6 drops of M-Bomb set the stage for a spectacular finish with Krampert’s Frostbyte AS. I feel clean, very cool, smooth and refreshed. Tomorrow I’ll be loading a trimmed down Feather Super AC blade in my quest to achieve a decent shave from this razor.

RAZOR: Schick Type F
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline Injector
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Kent Infinity Synthetic
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Krampert’s Frostbyte AS Splash.

View attachment 1102581

SOTD WEDNESDAY, MAY 20, 2020

After receiving my free Schick Type F, I spent a few days cleaning it up. While doing so I read extensively on what I could expect shave-wise. The most extensive practical thread was on B&B. It was started by a guy with two Type Fs, a user and what he described as a NOS model. Now I realize given the adage we all know (YMMV), different skin types and beard growth patterns yield different results. He described the F Type as a moderately aggressive shaver. That has not been my experience at all. Yesterday’s shave was extremely mild with a Chinese Schick Blade. So much so that after 4 passes I barely had what could be characterized as a CCS. The B&B writer was either a downy cheeked boy, or there were technical issues afoot. I suspected and hoped for the latter.

So for today’s shave I loaded a Schick Proline blade. The shave was slightly better, but only because I changed the shave angle such that the razor handle was perpendicular to the shave surface and applied a fair bit of pressure. This is not the way my E Type, G Type or L Type Shave. The F Type did shave, but again only a CCS, and a very uneven one at that. It was so frustrating that I pulled out my Shake Sharp and finished the shave after two frustrating ATG passes. The Shake Sharp sheared through the remaining very uneven stubble right down to the skin line. The two positives about this shave were the Nancy Boy Signature shave cream I used, and a surprisingly capable little Kent Synthetic shave brush I ignored for months after receiving it as part of the TSD Secret Santa last year.

Mantic59 described Nancy Boy as one of the best premium shave creams available in his 2019 end of year review. And he wasn’t kidding. I’ve never experienced as thick, shiny, slick and luxurious a lather from a shave cream before. This is right up there with MWF. Perfect for a nasal barbarian den, as there is no overpowering scent resulting in a happy fragrance-sensitive SWMBO. The little Kent Synthetic had great backbone which proved quite effective as it performed beautifully throughout the shave. The 6 drops of M-Bomb set the stage for a spectacular finish with Krampert’s Frostbyte AS. I feel clean, very cool, smooth and refreshed. Tomorrow I’ll be loading a trimmed down Feather Super AC blade in my quest to achieve a decent shave from this razor.

RAZOR: Schick Type F
BLADE: Schick B-20 Proline Injector
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Kent Infinity Synthetic
CREAM: Nancy Boy Signature
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Krampert’s Frostbyte AS Splash.
My type F shaves about like an E for me. Loading the blade on the F without scraping the blade is challenging and took me several tries to get a blade mounted unscathed.

Razor: Timeless Bronze TRBR38
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Simpson's Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso Red
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Art of Shaving Sandalwood & Cypress cologne
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
L'Occitane Cedrat balm
Pinaud Finest powder
20200505_115604.jpg

Status