What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" March 30th - April 5th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
A7AA7D9D-1EFE-4B18-953F-FAF9C858FB9F.jpeg

SOTD 04/03/2020

Welcome to Fatboy Wool Fat Friday as we shelter in place. I’ve never been a fan of Gillette Adjustables, and today’s shave certainly didn’t change my opinion. My Gibbs Adjustables provide a much better vintage shave, and there’s just no competition at all when the ultimate modern artisan adjustable, the Rex Ambassador, comes into the comparison. A good friend who is a serious collector of Gillettes with a focus on British models, has sold all his Gillette Adjustables. Gillette Adjustables are just very mediocre shavers.

The shave began with a cold water rinse. The Jayaruh Custom #343 generated a nice thick paste that was then applied to all shave surfaces and face and dome lathered into a thick, yogurty, protective lather using plenty of water. The first WTG pass didn’t compare to yesterday’s ATG first pass, even with the razor wide open. I dialed down to 7 for my second XTG and ended up with a nick on the left side along the jawline and a few weepers on the left side of the dome which required styptic intervention.

The head on the Fatboy is bulky and nowhere near as maneuverable as the slimmer heads on the Gibbs or the Rex. I just don’t like this razor. Although I needed a third pass, I quit and settled for a very unsatisfactory CCS. The only bright spot is that tomorrow I’ll be shaving with my Gibbs Adjustable.

RAZOR: Gillette Fatboy
BLADE: Feather
PREP: Cold water rinse
BRUSH: Jayaruh Custom Boar #343
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with A&E Post-Shave Serum

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Friday April 3 2020.

Razor : Oneblade Core version 2 - MFG 2018> excellent razor for a daily driver with a Gem.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE modified (10)
Soap: Arko - one of my first soaps when I got into traditional shaving, great lather qualities- scent is not optimum for some. :001_tt2:
Brush : Razorock Noir 400 Plissoft synthetic- great brush and as close to a real boar brush as synthetics can get IMO.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep : cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BbS+ no irritation + no weepers =:a17:just a great shave in my books.

SOTD, Fri April 3 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Friday
Pre-shave: Imperial Glycerine Soap/Stirling Sharp Dressed Man Pre-shave Oil
Razor: Gillette Short Comb New
Blade: PermaSharp Super Stainless
Brush: Thater LE 5
Soap: Bath House Spanish Fig & Nutmeg
Aftershave: AlumOgallala / Bay Rum
Balm: Clinique for Men Broad Spectrum Moisturizer

B92F49F5-F09B-4B5D-92B3-409908FAC84E.jpeg

Pre-shave: Bloom water
Soap: MWF
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express 2 band badger
Scuttle: QShave
Razor/Blade: QShave Parthenon V2/Astra (1)
ASL: Proraso Green
ASB: Nivea Sensitive

Uneventful smooth 3 pass shave using chinese brush, scuttle and razor. I’ve not used the Parthenon for a while and found it a much milder razor than the Rex Ambassador I’ve been using for the past few weeks.

Friday, 4/3:

20200403_094524.jpg

Razor - Razorock Game Changer 0.84-P
Blade - Personna Lab Blue
Brush - Grizzly Bay "The Centennial" Max LE 26mm Manchurian white badger fan
Soap - Siliski Soaps Midnight Oasis
A/S - OneBlade aftershave balm

Another 10/10 shave. Everything was just humming. The razor with this Lab Blue is excellent. The brush is one of his earlier handles, and while he wasn't calling the knot a "Fanchurian" then, it's basically the same thing, so, great backbone, just-right splay to not overwhelm my face, super soft tips, and a nice scrub. But the soap; oh, the soap. Siliski is not one that I see a lot of people use, but it is one of my favorite soaps. It is definitely one of the very best vegan soap bases I've used, and just one of the best overall IMO. Today's lather checked every box: thick, creamy, super shiny lather once hydrated, excellent slickness, residual, cushion, and an outstanding post-shave. It was like painting a moisturizing cream on my face. And I LOVE this scent. Earthy, musky, strong, and yet also kind of bright too. Oh boy does it make my day whenever I use it. My face feels great, super smooth, no redness, and maybe the closest shave I've had all week. Now THIS is the way to go into the weekend!

Fri 3rd SOTD
Soap Catie's BubblesOcean Grove
Bowl Red Nubs
Brush Yaqi 28mm Synthetic
Razor Gillette Red Tip
Blade SuperMax BlueDiamond 1
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Old Spice Lime
Load from soap tub and working it in the nubs bowl results in a nice creamy lather. Scent is mild oceany like. Reasonably slick. Shave with razor and new blade was good combo. Hardly feel any blade....it was smooth & sharpish. Tried more diagonal atg but suffered 2 weepers. 3+1pass WTG, XTG/ATG, ATG + atg. Refreshing ice water rinse followed by special Thayers.
BBS results with rating of 9/10
20200403_102157.jpg

20200403_110803.jpg

Fri 3rd SOTD
Soap Catie's BubblesOcean Grove
Bowl Red Nubs
Brush Yaqi 28mm Synthetic
Razor Gillette Red Tip
Blade SuperMax BlueDiamond 1
Post & Aftershave
Ice Water + Special Thayers Mix
Old Spice Lime
Load from soap tub and working it in the nubs bowl results in a nice creamy lather. Scent is mild oceany like. Reasonably slick. Shave with razor and new blade was good combo. Hardly feel any blade....it was smooth & sharpish. Tried more diagonal atg but suffered 2 weepers. 3+1pass WTG, XTG/ATG, ATG + atg. Refreshing ice water rinse followed by special Thayers.
BBS results with rating of 9/10
View attachment 1082079
View attachment 1082080

The red of that brush handle is just so great.

The red of that brush handle is just so great.
Hey, thanks a lot. All the same, your Razorock Game Changer 0.84-P with the Barber Pole handle is just so great in my eyes too. I have been wanting to get the same but it's not for sale anymore with that particular handle. Almost pulled the trigger today on the GC0.84 but for the handle. You have a beautiful razor there!

Parker Variant razor
Dorco ST300 blade (3)
Soap Commander Confidence soap
Semogue 830 boar brush
Doug Smith Pottery shave mug (from Etsy)
Osma alum block
Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm
PAA Holliday aftershave

Another really smooth shave. I'm definitely curious how this blade will do in another razor. It's really impressed me with the smoothness.

First burham razor shave. I tried a few ideas I had on modifying the gem blade. The best I found to make the blade similar to the original was to first remove the spine. Then inside the gem spine is a crimp and empty space. I used a micro screw driver to open that crimp. Then I shoved the gem blade further into the spine. This the blade was longer than a despined blade but shorter than the factory gem. I then put a couple of drops of glue on the spine to make sure it stayed even and secure. The blade was still slightly shorter than the factory burham. The shave was ok no irritation just could've been closer. I had to experiment. I don't normally skin stretch but it seemed beneficial with this razor. I also held the handle closer to the head like I do with other gentle razors. I got a socially acceptable plus shave. I see the potential for a damn fine shave tomorrow with my technique improvements. I show the blade gap in the pictures.

https://flic.kr/p/2iLzpyp
https://flic.kr/p/2iLwAZ3

Hey, thanks a lot. All the same, your Razorock Game Changer 0.84-P with the Barber Pole handle is just so great in my eyes too. I have been wanting to get the same but it's not for sale anymore with that particular handle. Almost pulled the trigger today on the GC0.84 but for the handle. You have a beautiful razor there!

Thanks very much, my friend. I can't remember: do they sell the head separately? Because if so, you could always get the head and be on the lookout for the handle. Are they just temporarily out, or do they actually not make it anymore? Because that would really be a shame, it's a great handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom