Brush: 22mm Fendrihan Pure Grey Badger brush
Pre-Shave: Shower and Clearasil face wash
Lather: Col Conk Lime shaving soap - face lather
Aftershave: Reuzel AS / Rocky Mountain sandalwood balm
Additional Care: Thayer’s / Jack Shave spritz
IMG_20190704_070646.jpg

SOTD - Thursday 04 July 2019

proxy.php

• Safety Razor: Maggard Razors - MR14 - Standard Head / Alpha Brush The Bravo handle
  • Blade: Polsilver - Super Iridium
  • Shaving Brush: Alpha Brush - Outlaw - Aluminium Satin - 28mm Bulb (Synthetic)
  • Shaving Soap: Wickham Soap Co - Apricus LE 2019
  • After-Shave: Wickham Soap Co - Apricus LE 2019 - Balm

iKon B1 Standard Tech
Astra Superior Platinum
PAA Starcraft Synthetic Brush
Taconic Bay Rum Shave Cream
PAA Mysterium Serum
Cold River Citrus Maximus Aftershave

Independence Day
Preshave: Brickell Renewing Face Scrub /Baxter Shave Tonic
Razor: Gillette Black Handle SuperSpeed
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli Red)
Brush: WSP High Mountain White
Soap: Kiss My Face Cool Mint Shaving Cream
Aftershave: Alum/ Ursa Major Face Tonic
Balm: Burberry Brit

Happy 4th of July!
SOTD

GEM MMOC
GEM PTFE (3)
Mike's Orange, Black Pepper and Cedarwood
Stirling Synthetic 22mm x 51mm
Aqua Velva Ice Blue​

Shave of the day:

1. Double-edge razor purchased on Madeleine Island, Wisconsin, from a woodcrafter whose business is named "The Wooden Rose." (If I recall correctly, he lives in or near Cornucopia, Wisconsin.) He turned the razor handle and installed it on a kit frame. The head is the most comfortable that I've ever used. I have a couple dozen double-edge razors, with Gillettes dating back to the 1920s. This razor is hands-down my favorite. I bought it last October, and he included with the razor a no-name blade. My family and I were staying at a place in northern Wisconsin, and I had taken only a cartridge razor with me. The next morning after purchasing the razor, I installed the no-name blade and gave it a whirl, assuming that it would be at best a mediocre shave. I was stunned at how comfortable it was--and it remains comfortable. I used to rotate my razor usage, going with a different one each week. Now I almost always use this one. That head is superb.

2. Rapira Platinum Deluxe blade: cheap and excellent.

3. Vintage boar-bristle brush: it gets the job done.

4. I think that's an Art of Shaving sandalwood puck in a Crabtree & Evelyn bowl.

5. Old Spice.

I took the photo with a Sinar F1, which is a 4x5 monorail view camera, with a Nikkor-W 135mm lens at f/32, using Ilford Harman Direct Positive Paper. This is a photo paper that is exposed in-camera, as opposed to under an enlarger.

The paper is very slow: ISO 1-3, or thereabouts. Assuming an ISO rating of 1.5, my meter gave me an exposure of about three and a half minutes; I took one shot at that speed and then a second (this one) at four minutes and twenty seconds. I developed it in Sprint paper developer and scanned the image.

The paper tends to barrel, especially after developing. This print barreled very badly, and it doesn't want to lie flat on the scanner bed. The edges of the print are thus a little shinier than they should be . . .

The camera at the back is a Busch Pressman, which also shoots 4x5 film. It's sitting on a copy of Ansel Adams's classic book The Negative--somewhat ironically, as no negative was created to make this old-school print!

Attachments

• Direct Positive SotD, 7-4-2019.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 19
Mr. Steinmetzify, would you mind telling me the brand of that razor? It's very cool.

Brother, that’s a Razorock SLOC head on a Timeless 85mm barberpole handle.

Best noob OC razor out there, this thing has never bitten me even once in six months of regular use, no matter what blade I put in there. Head is zamak, but the handle it comes with is 316 SS, and it’s under $20 at Italian Barber.

RazoRock SLOC Double-Edge Safety Razor – ItalianBarber

Brother, that’s a Razorock SLOC head on a Timeless 85mm barberpole handle.

Best noob OC razor out there, this thing has never bitten me even once in six months of regular use, no matter what blade I put in there. Head is zamak, but the handle it comes with is 316 SS, and it’s under $20 at Italian Barber.

RazoRock SLOC Double-Edge Safety Razor – ItalianBarber
Thanks! The barber pole handle was out of stock, but I ordered one in the radio knob handle.

I'll see if it can replace my no-name kit razor head!

SOTD, Thursday, July 4th, 2019

Shower at gym + glycerin soap face lather and rinse
Penhaligon's Castile shave cream + cologne
Rooney badger brush
Puma 5/8" straight razor

Happy Birthday, USA! Thanks to all our service women and men!

proxy.php

Thursday, July 4
  • Proraso Pre Shave Cream Prep
  • WCS Tortoiseshell Collection Silvertip brush
  • Noble Otter "Orbit" soap
  • Merkur 39C w/ Personna Med Prep blade
  • Alum
  • Blue Floid A/S
IMG_1959.jpg

SOTD
Schick Adjustable Injector Razor with Chick blade
Doug Korn Custom Synthetic Brush