proxy.php

Sunday, 2/2:

20200202_085429.jpg

Razor - Blackland Dart, polished
Blade - Shark Super Chrome (2)
Brush - Wild West Brushworks "LP" 26mm tuxedo
Soap - Soap Commander Vision
A/S - Proraso Blue

I'm working Sat/Sun shifts this weekend, so for simplicity's sake I went with the same setup as yesterday, except I brought the Dart back out, this time with a Shark. This was a phenomenal shave. Another supreme lather between the brush and soap, and the Dart just gets easier to use. I'm actually really enjoying focusing on my technique with it. I did notice that the blade cut less smoothly than when I was using the Astra, but the kit was still really efficient, and when I was done I ended up with my first Dart shave that had no weepers or nicks. Just a perfectly glass-smooth result and no irritation. I can use the Astra to get better cutting action, but it seems like the Shark gives a more comfortable finish in the end. Either way, this is a heck of a razor. You just have to respect it, and it will reward you.

Sunday Shave

Soap: Haslinger Coconut
Brush: Yaqi 28mm syn.
Razor: Wolfman WR2
Blade: PolSilver Super Iridium
Aftershave: Thayers Rose Petal WH + DR Harris Arlington Aftershave Milk.
Fragrance: Yves St. Laurent

Wolfman WR2-SB 1.05

1580656469944.png

Attachments

• 1580656468886.png
    1580656468886.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
proxy.php

Muhle Rocca :: Panta Rei :: CRSW Replenish
This latest iteration of the Rocca is well made and another great shaver. The elephant brush was an early Panta Rei custom job which had developed some hairline cracks. Alessandro was kind enough to make a new handle for the knot. The newer version is slightly thinner and much lighter due to an alteration in the ceramic. This remains one of my favorite knots. Great service from a unique artisan in the shaving world. The Ibla soap is terrific.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Super bowl Sunday shave, Feb2-2020

Razor : Schick adjustable Model 3(M3) - MFG 1970-72
Blade : Personna injector SS PTFE (7)
Soap: Tabac
Brush: Razorock Noir 400 24 mm
Pre shave: shower +a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Razorock Emperor with witch Hazel + Nivea balm.
Results : CCS,DFS,BBS + some irritation on lower neck + 2 weepers = :wink2:

Sunday shave Feb 2-2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

4A6E83CF-F7B4-4FAA-9124-0BAD25BA6912.jpeg

SOTD 02/02/20 7:00. AM

Church meeting today that seemed to go on forever. Finally ended! Time to submit this morning’s shave report. The Fatboy Wool Fat experience today resulted in a decent shave. Did my face on 9 and the dome on 7. I know many love this razor, but it’s ‘meh’ as far as I’m concerned. I never get close to the kind of shave I enjoy. It’s definitely not part of the regular rotation. The head geometry is bulky, and the handle too short for comfortable use. It just doesn’t work for me, qualified by YMMV. I’ll probably sell it, but given the market for these razors will wait as it is in excellent condition.
The shave turned out to be a three pass CCS shave that was disappointing as I was still left with rough areas in the back of my head, and under the jawline, but after the debacle with the Rex, another adjustable, elected to leave well enough alone! I wish all adjustables shaved like my Gibbs. Tomorrow’s shave will be better.

RAZOR: Gillette Fatboy
BLADE: Wizamet Super Iridium
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with PAA’s Preshave Cube Soap
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with PAA’s Mentholated Mysterium Serum

proxy.php

Razor: Haircut and Shave NO75 and Carbon Cx
Blade: Polsilver
Brush: Wild West Brushworks
Pre-Shave: Bart’s Balms Peppermint Beard Oil
Lather: Signature Soaps Danum
Aftershave: TFS Arancio Amaro ASB

Today’s shave was a comparison shave between the H&S NO75 and the Carbon Cx.

I also tried some Signature Soaps Danum for the first time.

The Danum struck me as having something of an earthy smell (which I suspect is due to the Patchouli essential oil it contains) and it, in line with the other two Signature Soaps I have tried (Leodis and Capra), performed excellently. These soaps really are a steal at the price point they sell for.

The soap worked well with the Bart’s Beard Oil which, as always, gave a nice mild menthol feel to the shave.

Onto the razors:

The Haircut and Shave has quickly become one of my favoured razors. It’s fit, finish and polish is on a par with a Timeless and I really like the smooth and efficient shave this razor gives. It fits well in my hand, has a long enough handle and is very robustly made (with the blade tabs being completely concealed).

The Carbon Cx, on the other hand, is quite a different beast. The head is noticeably smaller (with exposed blade tabs) and the baseplate is very thin in profile. The handle is nicely made, although the thin centre section does provide a less than intuitive means of gripping the razor than I’m used to. The polished finish, whilst better than a Game Changer or Start, was a noticeable step down from the Haircut and Shave.

In terms of the shave itself, I was expecting the Carbon to be more blade forward and more efficient than the Haircut and Shave. I didn’t find this to be the case. Both shaved equally well and I can’t say that I noticed that much difference between them.

In summary, these are both smooth and moderately efficient razors. If I had to choose one over the other, I would go for the Haircut and Shave as it suits my particular preferences in terms of style, fit and finish more than the Carbon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom