SOTD "FREE WEEK" December 14th - December 20th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Late 50's Rocket w/Big Ben - Stirling Orange Chill soap and Aqua Velva AS
1959Rocket.jpg

SOTD, Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: Gillette Tech Pre-War Fat Handle
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements The Solar Flare 24mm
Pre-Shave: PAA Cube 2.0 Mentholated
Lather: Stirling Arkadia
Aftershave: Proraso Eucalyptus and Menthol
Additional Care:
Alum Block
cold water splash
Thayers Witch Hazel Cucumber Toner
Burberry Britt EDT
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Tuesday
Preshave: Perricone Super Clean Face Wash /Stirling Ozark Mountain Pre-Shave Oil
Razor: OREN
Blade: KaI Captain Titan Protouch MG
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 in Best Badger
Soap: Mama Bear’s Ye Olde Barbershoppe
Aftershave: Humphrey’s Witch Hazel/Alum
Balm: L’Occitane Eau des Baux

Hi! Shave #73:
IMG_20201214_193859_935.JPG

Pre: hot water, homemade olive oil soap.
Lather: Brocha by Los jabones de Joserra.
Brush: El Druida + Mühle.
Razor: RR Old Type + Homelike Veovoda Ti.
Blade: Feather (#6).
Take care and have a nice day!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD Tue, Dec 15th 2020

Razor: Razorock Game changer .84- Mfg 2018> excellent mid range combined with a Kai SS blade.
Blade: Kai SS (9) excellent blade, one of my favorites. Extra wide than a standard Gillette, Sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- very nice citrus scent on a cold winter morning, excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi lucky dice 26mm Tuxedo knot, very good lather creator, retains heat because of size, back bone with cloud like soft tips. Very enjoyable morning shave with this brush.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each rinse of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:Excellent shave with my RR GC .84 with a Kai SS blade.
DE SOTD Tue, Dec 15th 2020.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

IMG_0208.jpg

Pre:-
Razor: P&G China Gillette Tech stainless steel 1st use
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson India Saloon 2nd use
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express 24mm Synth 1st use
Cream: Proraso red
Result: DFS, no nicks/weepers/irritation

This razor retails on Alie for 1.50 to 2.50 and took a mere 8 weeks to arrive. I know COVID times and all but the Yaqi amongst a couple of other brushes made it in only 4 weeks. So Alie vendors must have at least 2 different shipping options. The razor is superlight (18 grams total, Head only 11 grams) with a rather long hollow plastic handle. The top is sintered stainless steel and the baseplate pressed from a sheet of stainless steel. The handle though plastic and hollow has a least a metal top and thread. My pre-war Fat Handle Gold Tech in comparison weighs 50 grams with a 26 gram head.

I used the original handle for the first pass, my pre-war Fat handle for the second and my Ikon SS Tuckaway handle for the third pass. It's useable with all of them but I prefer the heft of the Tuckaway.

The shave itself was uneventful and comparable to all my other Techs with the Gillette Wilkinson blade still a bit rough.

I tried out now 3 Yaqi Synths: Dice/Tuxedo, Rainbow/Pony and this Moka Express. The Moka Express is super soft and used as a paint brush has the least tendency to fling lather around.

I will try it out once more with my go-to blade Perma-Sharp and then put in my travel razor kit.

22532D47-8E5F-4ACE-BE40-BA6B11EE58D0.jpeg

SOTD TUESDAY MORNING, DECEMBER 15

After my great mug shave yesterday with the Thistle Cut 5/8, I was curious to see if it was a fluke, or just wishful thinking. So I stropped the razor, and discovered there’s something about a 30k Shapton edge that is truly special. The razor blazed through my stubble above the jawline in two passes (WTG, ATG). The additional XTG pass below the jawline sealed the deal and put the baby to bed. It was one of those mug shaves that one finds themself reaching up and touching the shave surface hours afterward, amazed at the velveteen smoothness achieved. After my run in with the French Spadson two days ago, I debated with myself about holding off for another day. My shave-crazy side won. I grabbed my Colonial General V2, removed the Feather Super blade and replaced it with a Feather Proguard blade. Given the amount of irritated scalp, I took it very slow and easy ending up with a decent shave. I happily settled for it. I feel refreshed, clean and acceptably smooth on the dome and velveteen smooth on my mug!

RAZOR: Thistle Cut 5/8 (Mug), Colonial General V2 (Dome)
BLADE: Feather Proguard AC
PREP: Cold water rinse followed by a scrub with Argan Oil
BRUSH: MrEE Aluminum Monster Tuxedo Synth
SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Humphreys Lilac WH. Finished with Krampert’s Frostbite AS Splash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom