SOTD "FREE WEEK" April 6th - April 12th, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
2020-04-10

Ikea Bowl ¤ Semogue 1305 Boar ¤ 3/8" Fermarud #42, Gebr. Lange
Lea, menthol ¤ Proraso, menthol ¤ Scuderia Ferrari Black Signature EDT

proxy.php

proxy.php

I used up the Antica Barbieria Colla Balm sample today. I like it a lot, but given the cost of a full bottle, still deciding if it's something I'd actually buy. I might just keep it in mind for the next time my wife is asking me for gift ideas.

Razor: Timeless .68 SB
Blade: Treet, Platinum
Brush: Simpson, Chubby 2 Synthetic
Soap: Art of Shaving, Sandalwood (Tallow)
Post Shave: Antica Barbieria Colla, Apricot Hull Aftershave Balm Sample

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SOTD, Fri April 10th 2020

Razor: Oneblade Core Version 2 - MFG 2018>#1 daily driver, its hard to beat using a Gem blade!Consistent excellence.
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE modified (2)favorite blade all around out of a avalanche of blades available in DE&SE.
Soap : Razorock XXX- very nice soap scent wise and lather qualities IMO.
Brush : Yaqi rainbow with brown whiskers 26 mm - just a great brush to use.
Pre shave : Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar soap + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 3.
Post shave: Razorock XXX with witch Hazel + a dollop of Nivea Men balm.
Results CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = :a17: Excellent shave today.

SOTD, April 10th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Great pics and set ups everyone. I really enjoy viewing this thread.

Razor: Charcoal Goods Antique Brass Level 2 Solid Bar/Magnum Hammered Handle
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium
Soap: Martin de Candre Vetyver
Brush: Rudy Vey White Zebra "Tulip" with Shavemac 2 Band Silvertip
Aftershave: Old Spice Original (Mumbai, India)​

IMG_4839 2.jpeg

Tonight's shave

Razor - 6/8" Tanifuji BaBa

Strop - Tony Miller 3" Steerdovan

Brush - Brush made by @Hyloworks

Bowl - Captain's Choice Lather Bowl

Soap - Crowne & Crane Tobacco Leaf & Amber. I got this soap from a PIF on another forum. Since I cant see my nephew for a bit I had to try the soap since I love tobacco scented grooming products. Now I'm hoping my nephew doesn't like it so I can keep it.

Aftershave - Whiskey Woods. I have the tobacco leaf and amber balm but I was thinking whiskey woods would compliment this soap really well and it did. Whiskey woods is cheaper than the balm.

View attachment 1084867

I'm not even a straight razor guy, but man, those scales. Brush is awesome too.

Parker Variant razor
Gillette Wilkinson Sword blade (3) (Made in India)
Noble Otter Two Kings soap
Whipped Dog high mountain badger brush
Doug Smith Pottery shave mug
Osma alum block
Avon Black Suede aftershave balm
Amouage Jubilation XXV fragrance

Wow, another great shave with this blade. Between last week's testing and this week, both blades have been winners in this razor.

553258E6-6CBE-4B3F-AFD3-ED5CF530BC0E.jpeg

SOTD 04/10/2020

Finally decided to take the eponymous “Hulk”, my aluminum RazoRock Hawk V2 for a spin with the Feather Super. I thought to make it an icy lavender shave featuring RR Oil of Lavender Cream soap salted with 6 drops of M-Bomb, my usual Thayer’s Lavender WH, and a finish with Chatillon Lux Pure Lavender Post-Shave Toner. Lavender always conjures up feelings of serenity. The ancient Romans believed it had a soothing effect on the lions and tigers being prepared for their Coliseum Christian lunch buffet. Being a bit of an olfactory idiot, this is one of the few scents that I’m able to recognize, and I do find it relaxing.

My Hawk was purchased about 8 months ago, and there’s been a continuing issue with its weight. I like the feel of a hefty blade holder in hand. In fact all of my favorite shavers are a bit weighty. I have a neurological condition that leaves me a bit shaky. Trying to manage my tremors while exerting “negative pressure” and maintaining blade angle benefits from a heavier razor. The weight of a heavy razor drives the shave. The problem with aluminum razors is that the weight of the razor, at least with a Proline blade loaded led to “positive pressure” to counteract the lighter weight and nicks. Thus although I liked the feel of the razor, it never matched up to the quality shaves delivered by my Blackland Vector, and now my new Colonial General. Knowing this, I just ordered the new 316L SS Hawk To replace this aluminum razor, which I anticipate performing like the latter two razors mentioned. The only unknown variable in the equation is the role the Feather Super will play here.

My shave prep began following my shower with a cold water rinse of face and dome. My Viking Silvertip Badger whipped up a great lather for my first pass. I always begin my shave with my face, and I’m glad I did. The Hawk, as expected, cut close, but nowhere near the closeness achieved with the General or the Vector. In addition, I discovered many superficial weepers on both cheeks as well as my neck requiring the use of my styptic after that first WTG pass. I must have unconsciously exerted some slight positive pressure due to the lightness of the razor. That was it! I completed the first pass on the noggin using the General, and that was that. Despite the treated weepers, my second ATG pass was more buffing than full pass. The dome and face remained bloodless after the second buffing pass. The result was a BBS on the noggin and a DFS++ on the face, a more than acceptable result. I feel cool, clean and refreshed. Enjoy your day out there, and stay safe and healthy.

RAZOR: RazoRock Hulk Hawk V2 (face). Colonial General V2 (dome)
BLADE: Feather Super
PREP: Cold Water rinse
BRUSH: Viking Silvertip Badger
SOAP/CREAM: RazoRock Essential Oil of Lavender
POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH finished with Chatillon Lux Pure Lavender Post-Shave Toner

Friday, 4/10:

20200410_121051.jpg

Razor - Fatip Piccolo SE open comb
Blade - Astra SP
Brush - Paladin PK-47 "Lapis Lazuli" 26mm 2-band select badger
Soap - Pannacrema Nuavia Blu
A/S - Proraso Blue

This is a review of sorts, since I've never used Pannacrema Nuavia before. It's a much lauded soap, so I figure that's appropriate. Overall, a very good shave.

The first thing that hit me was the scent. Holy cow. It instantly skyrocketed to one of my top ten soap scents. It's kind of half classic grooming product/cologne, half European cookie, like a speculoos. I get a brown sugar/chocolate/nutmeg/cinnamon-type scent from it that is just unbelievable. First time my wife has ever commented post shave about how good it smelled, so that tells you something.

The lather was... quite good, I will say. It really needs to be scooped into a bowl, so I took a good dollop and spread it in the bottom. I worked it quite a while and the lather I got was very thick, no discernible bubbles, soft springy peaks, but, really no glossiness. Maybe I didn't add water slowly enough at the start, or maybe it just isn't a soap that shines, but it was very matte in appearance. Obviously there are many soaps that, no matter what, just never get a real sheen to the lather, and the performance is still great. I just figured with a soap of this caliber, it would produce a glossy "yogurt". It was very yogurt-y in consistency, like super cushiony, but no gloss. I shouldn't care too much; I guess it's just an aesthetic thing. A side note about the brush: after several more uses, I love the mild scrub, the bulb paints lather very nicely, generates a good lather, however, I just wish it splayed a little more. It's got so much backbone that it takes more pressure than I like to really splay it out. Just has to be used differently, I guess.

Back to the soap: the performance was great. The Fatip with open comb is nothing to sneeze at, but I swear, the first pass it was like a 34C. The soap turned it into a kitten. The razor glided SO nicely. It also helped that the Astra on its 2nd use calmed down after yesterday's rougher shave. Blade feel was definitely more pronounced with the second pass, but still not overly so. The soap has great slickness and residual, but I actually kinda forgot to even note the post-shave before applying balm. I'll pay more attention the next time I use it. In the end, I did get a very good shave, so all good. 👍

Beautiful shaves over the last week, finally retired the derby extra after no less than 16 shaves. Definitely a fantastic blade for the price.

Ive decided to feature the Godrej lime heavily in my rotation so that i can try finish some of the first creams and soaps i received.

Shave 1:
Razor: Wilkinson sword classic
Blade: derby extra (14)
Brush: Wilkinson sword classic
Cream: arko cool
Aftershave: arko ice mint

Shave 2:
Razor: Wilkinson sword classic
Blade: derby extra (15)
Brush: Wilkinson sword classic
Cream: Godrej lime
Aftershave: status for men