What's new

Son of LeGrelot

Martin at RasurPur has some new Thiers razors that took inspiration on the quarter grind LeGrelots.

They are new forging; half hollow and the shaving edge seems to be shorter than standard fare. My Grelot feels like a long sword compared to most of my other straights, so there are some significant differences.

Nonetheless they do look sezzzy!

I ordered one of these with Blonde Horn today. I really like the thumbnotch and the shorter blade length.
Martin said he hopes to get some new TI's with a thicker grind soon. I guess that would mean a 1/4 hollow. I will probably pick up one of those when they come out too, I like the heavier TI's more than their singing blades.

I used my TI Evide Sonnant again this morning after not using it for awhile. I like it even more now. I think as my technique gets better I like it more :D

Received my son of Le Grelot today.
I thought I ordered blonde horn and was surprised to see it was dark horn. I looked at my invoice again it looks like I did order the dark horn I must have been thinking of blonde horn for another razor or something since I have ordered a few TI's recently.

Well, it was a real pleasure to shave with and there is quite a lot of weight to this blade despite being on the smaller side. Its my only other 1/2 hollow besides the Wapi, and it shaves as good as a Wapi, quiet and smooth, but I like this TI much better, its got a lot more weight in the tang and feels more secure when you are holding it.

Pics in a minute.

here is a pic of my new Le Grelot inspired TI:
I am not very good at photography yet :p

As you can see from a real Le Grelot the cutting edge is quite a bit shorter. i don't have a ruler handy but I would say a little over 1/2" shorter than the le grelot.

Very, very nice. Thanks for sharing a beautiful razor.

Martin puts a nice edge on his razors no?

Received my son of Le Grelot today.
I thought I ordered blonde horn and was surprised to see it was dark horn. I looked at my invoice again it looks like I did order the dark horn I must have been thinking of blonde horn for another razor or something since I have ordered a few TI's recently.

Well, it was a real pleasure to shave with and there is quite a lot of weight to this blade despite being on the smaller side. Its my only other 1/2 hollow besides the Wapi, and it shaves as good as a Wapi, quiet and smooth, but I like this TI much better, its got a lot more weight in the tang and feels more secure when you are holding it.

Pics in a minute.

Look at how similar these "Le Grelot" style blades are to the King Pelican. Just proves that great looking blades keep coming back in style, over and over again.

Yes Martin puts a good edge on his razors. This one didn't feel as sharp as the other 2 I have from him but thats probably because of the different grind and my technique hasn't adapted to it.
I bought another TI yesterday from Steve at thiers-issard uk; one of the new stock of Dos Festonné. They now have straight tangs and no thumbnotches and the blade edge is parallel to the spine all the way, so its 6/8th size across the whole razor unlike the previous version.
Steve tells me these are the last ones that will be made with the historical steel, so I picked one up while the exchange rates are favorable and they are still available.

Top Bottom