What's new

Something up? Huge difference between my 195 and Slim….

Morning guys!
When I found my old 1964 Slim in a box, I decided to use it, but was immediately reminded why it turned me off of old Gillette razors for awhile years ago.
While my recently purchased 1959 195 Fatboy is incredibly smooth, comfortable and effective to use, an all around pleasure, my old Slim was the opposite experience. Set on “2” (one notch below my 195) it was an incredibly harsh bloody experience, basically just as I remember it.
Very strange. I’ve looked in vain for gap or blade alignment issues and the adjustment mechanism seems to be working fine, but could be something I’m missing. 🤔
I’m assuming the shave experience should be similar between the Slim and Fatboy, so I’m guessing something must be off with that Slim.
BFA52360-52B8-453E-B574-63725DA2F10E.jpeg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've got a '63 Slim incoming later this week. I've had my '61 195 for years and find it a good, if not somewhat bulky, razor. I'm just curious to try a Slim as I haven't before. I usually use the 195 between 2-5 as I prefer milder razors. The seller (who is very active on Etsy) assures me the Slim is in excellent condition and is properly functioning. If it comes Thursday, I'll give it whirl on Friday and report the results somewhere on B&B.

Thank you for your thoughts on this, it might be a good candidate for professional restoration or trying my hand at taking one of these apart. 😉
Fortunately my 195 is so good it redeemed vintage Gillette razors for me. 😊
I’m also thoroughly enjoying my Tech which is now in the rotation. (A rotation of 2, but still a rotation, LOL!)
I can’t sell or even give away the Slim knowing it has a problem, but I’ll update if I try digging into it. 😁

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
The Fatboy is just a better razor. [puts on flame-retardant suit]

But seriously, I think it is quite a bit smoother, although the difference you are describing seems outside of the norm. I agree with the others that there is probably something not quite right about your Slim.

On the other hand, if you have a Fatboy that works and a Tech, you don't even need the Slim.

My '63 Slim arrives today. A totally unnecessary purchase but I was curious. Unless the mail comes early, it would get used until tomorrow. Seller assures razor is very clean (looked so in the photos) and working 100% (I'll be the judge of that). This will give me 8 vintage Gillettes instead of 7 and round out my razor collection to 10. Not bad for 50 years of shaving. ;)

The Fatboy is just a better razor. [puts on flame-retardant suit]

But seriously, I think it is quite a bit smoother, although the difference you are describing seems outside of the norm. I agree with the others that there is probably something not quite right about your Slim.

On the other hand, if you have a Fatboy that works and a Tech, you don't even need the Slim.
I’ve only had a Fatboy for a couple months, and I’ve had a slim for almost 2 years, but I have to say the slim, for me, is a better shaver - better balance, head isn’t as bulky (easier to shave around the nose), and is ever so slightly more efficient. I prefer the girth and length of the Fatboy to the slim (y’all get your minds out of the gutter), and I like that it’s much easier to disassemble the Fatboy. But the slim is both smoother and more efficient in my personal experience. I’m wondering if the OP’s slim might be a whole turn of the dial out of whack.

I got the Slim in today's mail and will be giving it a try out shortly using the same settings as I do on my 195. Will report back later. It looks like it's in excellent adjustment as is my 195 so there should be more in common than less. We shall see...

Top Bottom