What's new

Something up? Huge difference between my 195 and Slim….

Without going into a long report, just finished up with the '63 Slim. Without going into all the prep stuff, I used a Gillette Platinum (my very first as I'd just bought 100 on a whim earlier this week). Cream was TOBS Sandalwood (my God, I love that cream) and the brush was a Jagger Super Badger medium. Mix of face and bowl lathering. Started at 1 to see how it was compared to my 195. Did the first pass on that. Fast forward and I fooled around between 2-5 settling on 4-5, just like my 195. 5 is a wee much for me to use at the very end during buffing and other clean-up techniques. Should have done that a 3-4. Regardless, had a stupendously good BBS shave. Alum bloc told me I'd gotten a little hotter on my neck in spots than normal but no no visual or touchable irritation. I have to admit, I was all in on testing this razor. I give the razor a 10 and the shave a 9.75.

Based on this one anecdotal experience, I'd say there is something wrong with the OP's Slim.

Last edited:
I have a '64 Slim as well. Not certain as to what the issue is with yours. However, comparing your Slim to mine, the area that I have circled reflects a more pointed contour versus a rounded contour on yours.
I would agree with what others have already said. Consider sending it out to be cleaned and tuned up. Most here will agree Back Roads Gold would be the company for that work.

*Disclaimer: Not affiliated, in any shape or form, with Back Roads Gold.
20220817_185838.jpg

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a '64 Slim as well. Not certain as to what the issue is with yours. However, comparing your Slim to mine, the area that I have circled reflects a more pointed contour versus a rounded contour on yours.
I would agree with what others have already said. Consider sending it out to be cleaned and tuned up. Most here will agree Back Roads Gold would be the company for that work.

View attachment 1506824
I'm not affiliated with anyone; everyone ignores me at gatherings, but I have seen the werk of Back Roads Gold and it appears they do great werk at a great price.

And OP: don't give up on the Slim just yet. Sometimes finding a proper angle takes werk.

Edit: @Retroman1969, is that you and your vehicle in your profile pic?

I would be tempted to carjack you if so!

View attachment 1506824
This is a change done in 1964. J2. The J1 are rounded, the J2 and later are sharp.

I'm not affiliated with anyone; everyone ignores me at gatherings, but I have seen the werk of Back Roads Gold and it appears they do great werk at a great price.

And OP: don't give up on the Slim just yet. Sometimes finding a proper angle takes werk.

Edit: @Retroman1969, is that you and your vehicle in your profile pic?

I would be tempted to carjack you if so!
😉
Thank you!
Yes, that is my old Volvo Turbo Estate. I love that car! 😃
Like these old Gillettes, it’s timeless, and I’m convinced it’s impossible to kill. 😊
Thank you for all the responses! I’m sure there’s something off on this Slim, I’m sure they’re usually great shavers (the suggestions that the dial or gap may be out of whack causing super harsh shaving sounds right), but that 195 is so smooth and easier to grip with that fat handle. I would have guessed it couldn’t do well under the nose with that huge head, but gets every scrap of stubble under there, a pleasant surprise. 😉
I’d be happy to pass on the Slim with the knowledge that it has this issue. 😉

FarmerTan

I'd be embarrassed to post any of my razors with such a negligent built-up of scum and crud. There's likely enough gunk built up to prevent the adjustable bottom plate from moving freely.
Try cleaning it up, then do another shave.
If you are referring to the Retroman Razor, I think it's just the lighting. My razors are all gunked up until I finally get around to cleaning them up with a toothbrush, a SOFT SOFT toothbrush.

I’ve only had a Fatboy for a couple months, and I’ve had a slim for almost 2 years, but I have to say the slim, for me, is a better shaver - better balance, head isn’t as bulky (easier to shave around the nose), and is ever so slightly more efficient. I prefer the girth and length of the Fatboy to the slim (y’all get your minds out of the gutter), and I like that it’s much easier to disassemble the Fatboy. But the slim is both smoother and more efficient in my personal experience. I’m wondering if the OP’s slim might be a whole turn of the dial out of whack.
Agree to disagree. To me the rounder dome lf the Fatboy is a bonus, not a drawback. I am 6'3" and 175, with a thin neck and face. The area right below the jaw was really hard for me to do when I had the Slim, but it became much easier with the Fatboy. It just seems to fit better into those hollows and makes the transition a lot easier.

For the life of me I don't understand why people continue to think they need a shallow head to shave the hairs up under the nose. It's just not true. People shave those areas with straight razor blades that are more than an inch thick, for crying out loud! It takes a certain technique, but there are no DE razors that can't shave rightful under the nose just fine once you learn how to do it.

Agree to disagree. To me the rounder dome lf the Fatboy is a bonus, not a drawback. I am 6'3" and 175, with a thin neck and face. The area right below the jaw was really hard for me to do when I had the Slim, but it became much easier with the Fatboy. It just seems to fit better into those hollows and makes the transition a lot easier.

For the life of me I don't understand why people continue to think they need a shallow head to shave the hairs up under the nose. It's just not true. People shave those areas with straight razor blades that are more than an inch thick, for crying out loud! It takes a certain technique, but there are no DE razors that can't shave rightful under the nose just fine once you learn how to do it.
Agree to disagree it is. That said, glad to own both, and though while my preference is the Slim, they both have advantages the other doesn’t. And I get darned similar results from both of them, so probably splitting hairs.

I'd be embarrassed to post any of my razors with such a negligent built-up of scum and crud. There's likely enough gunk built up to prevent the adjustable bottom plate from moving freely.
Try cleaning it up, then do another shave.
Well, that’s pretty rude, and inaccurate. Number one, it was just pulled out of a years long storage. Two, it shaved just as harshly years ago. Three, whatever daily razor I’m using (then or now) gets soaked in cleaner during my shower, then soaked in hot water while getting ready for work, then rinsed off and lightly brushed and dried every single day before putting it up, so I’m not sure what you’re calling “neglect”. You must be going by the way the sunlight is hitting it.
However, I promise not to post any more pictures if they’re going to be “offensive” to people. 🙄

FarmerTan

Well, that’s pretty rude, and inaccurate. Number one, it was just pulled out of a years long storage. Two, it shaved just as harshly years ago. Three, whatever daily razor I’m using (then or now) gets soaked in cleaner during my shower, then soaked in hot water while getting ready for work, then rinsed off and lightly brushed and dried every single day before putting it up, so I’m not sure what you’re calling “neglect”. You must be going by the way the sunlight is hitting it.
However, I promise not to post any more pictures if they’re going to be “offensive” to people. 🙄
No my friend! I figgered the lighting wasn't your friend in the pic. I assumed that @ShaverAZ was referring to his own razor and his choice of words was less than perfect.

Might as well ask here (related so it shouldn't derail the thread).
I've got a '62 slim and a 76' Super adjustable and just received my first Fatboy today. It's a '59!
Had my first shave with the Fatboy tonight and it felt slightly more aggressive than the Slim & Super adjustable.
All three on setting #5 and Wilkinson German blades.
All are in perfect shape!
Is this because of the weight difference or do they have any differences in the heads, gap etc..?
The heads look the same to me!
The blade gap chart at Gilletteadjustable.com shows the following:
On #5 the Fatboy is .025, The Slim is .027 and the Super adjustable is .031
That means that theoretically the Super adjustable should be the most aggressive feeling, followed by the Slim and then the Fatboy. My Slim and Super adjustable feel exactly the same and like I said, the Fatboy slightly more aggressive!

Last edited:
Might as well ask here (related so it shouldn't derail the thread).
I've got a '62 slim and just received my first Fatboy today. It's a '59!
Had my first shave with the Fatboy tonight and it felt slightly more aggressive than the Slim.
Both on setting #5 and Wilkinson German blades.
Both are in perfect shape!
Is this because of the weight difference or do they have any differences in the heads, gap etc..?
The heads look the same to me!
The heads are different with the Slim having, at the least, a lower height. Unless both razors are claibrated the exact same way (if that's possible), it wouldn't surprise me that both set on "X" number might perform differently. I don't pay enough attention to those details to say with any certainty.

I used to play jazz piano on various gigs which meant I'd play whatever piano was provided by the venue. If you know anything about pianos, they can be quite different from each other. Some of these pianos were great - good action, well tuned. Others, not so much. There's a saying in that world that you play the gig, meaning, you adapt to whatever piano is provided. That's how I approach shaving, assuming that makes any sense. But what it means to me is that I've used so many razors over the years that it usually takes me just a few swipes to adapt to the razor. That said, until very recently, I couldn't get my EJ DE89 to work well for me until a member here gave me a tip that I should have already known. And now, I've adapted to that razor too.

Top Bottom