What's new

Something new from Remington

Way, way, waaaaaay too tacticool for me. Im all for black poly in a handgun but for a shotgun, its strictly wood and blued steel.

+1. Synthetics are easier to carry but I hate shooting them. My buddy bought a synthetic Remington model 783 (I think that was the model) in .30-06. No exaggeration, it kicked harder than my other friend's BDL in .300 WinMag. I fired two rounds and handed it back, it just ain't worth it.

I've had a total of 3 spinal surgeries and need a 4th. These days I stick with 20 gauge with WOOD furniture, much easier on old bones.
Jack

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Love the 11-87. You got some good guns. :)

That little camo gun is a work horse. It will do most everything, anywhere, under any conditions. The reason I bought it was because I had a new at the time standard blued field grade 11-87 and took it deer hunting one day.

We hunted all day, cased our guns and left them in the truck over night to go again at 5am the next morning.

Get to the bush, pull the guns and the bolt on my 11-87 was seized solid. I had to pull the barrel and it was even seized to the inside of the receiver. Bolt rusted solid to the inside of the barrel, barrel rusted solid to the inside of the receiver.

I pushed bush without a shotgun that day lol and my old Auto 5 went for the rest of the season. When the season was over, that 11-87 was traded off for the camo gun.

My uncles old 1100 that he bought new in the 60's has never done that, none of my 3 Auto 5's, all old Belgians have ever done that and have been used in much worse conditions. One even slipped out of my hand in a slough south of CFB Moosejaw duck hunting once and fell right into the water and sunk into the soft mud. I picked it up, shook it under the water to wash off the mud, dumped the barrel, threw it to my shoulder and hit one Blue Wing Teal going over, covered my face with water and grit and couldnt shoot at the other one lol. Those old Brownings would never quit, but they arent going to win any races.

The nice thing about that camo gun is it doesnt even need a wipe down unless it gets dripping wet and then it comes apart. The only parts in it that can seize are the recoil spring in the tube inside the stock and a quick rinse and spray with dry lube of the trigger assembly.

If you've frequented any other shooting forums over the years, you might remember seeing the below pics.

IMG_0912.png IMG_0914.JPG IMG_0915.JPG IMG_0917.JPG

Thats the bolt from my .338 Lapua Sako TRG-S with less than 100 rounds through it. No idea why it failed, but thats another story. My old Sako AIII Deluxe in .270 has shot likely thousands of rounds over the years, and no issues with it.

$500 and change later its back to work in northern Alberta with my nephew and shooting the same .5 MOA groups it always has.

2011-07-09 14.03.57.jpg

You simply will NEVER do better than one of the Browning Humpback shotguns. Used to hunt with a family friend who owned a Browning Belgian Sweet 16. Magnificent shotgun. And he knew how to use it. The stories I could tell......

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You simply will NEVER do better than one of the Browning Humpback shotguns. Used to hunt with a family friend who owned a Browning Belgian Sweet 16. Magnificent shotgun. And he knew how to use it. The stories I could tell......

A Belgian Auto 5 was my first shotgun and the only one I shot for many years. When my uncle bought his 1100, his Auto 5 went to my father, then to me.

They're among the best shotguns ever made in my opinion, but in comparison to Remingtons they dont cycle as quickly. For some like my uncle that can be a handicap. He was a market hunter for ducks in the 50's and 60's and every duck he brought in he was paid for. Thats why he changed to the 1100. Faster and smoother shooting but he always complained that it would quit working in the rain lol.

That old 1100 has been shot so much and so quickly the mag tube looks like its been colour case hardened lol. In all the years that old shotgun has been used with countless rounds through it, during my first year of competitive trap shooting I had to replace the bolt. That and the gas ring is all thats ever been replaced on that shotgun and now my nephew has my little camo gun, that 1100 is the first one I reach for.

I only have 3 Auto 5's now, all 12g field, but there was a Sweet 16 and a 20g vent rib model that got sold off over the years. I sill have my fathers old Remington 870 Wingmaster 16g too. He carried that shotgun virtually his entire life hunting everything that walked or flew.

So, my experience with a Remington 1100 is atypical? I know it came from a Freds, circa 1970s, maybe mid to late 1970s (yes, Freds once sold firearms). Wouldn't think they'd have a lower quality for a discount store back then.

Back then a bunch of us would go hunting, and we'd get to see different types of shotguns. Remember two types of Browning semiauto, both pre Japan. One was the standard humpback. The other, the older, was a humpback, but looked different, particularly noticeable on the forend.

Sigh. I miss those days.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
So, my experience with a Remington 1100 is atypical?

Failure to feed and jamming is what can happen with my 11-87 if the recoil spring and tube are neglected. It needs to be clean and dry, no lube, hence the maintenance with usage in extreme environments.

Lube in the gas piston assembly, a bad gas ring, or even a burr someplace, especially on the recoil guide rod or grooves for it in the receiver, the edges and inside of the gas piston, a slight bend in the piston assembly arms, can all have the same effect.

The ends of the recoil guide rod that ride in the grooves on the inner receiver I'll tell you can get damn sharp. Over the years they get polished like the edge on a straight razor and the edges of the grooves inside the receiver too.

58982042.jpg l_767260750_2_m.jpg

A Remington that doesnt work was an extreme rarity to me. If you know what you're looking for it would be back in business without much trouble I'd guess.

Theres a Browning BAR .338 I have here that as new had a tiny burr on the back side of the bolt causing weak feeds and jamming. 10 seconds with a Dremel and its been as slick shooting as any auto I ever shot.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
The Wingmaster 870 in question *used to be* the best pump out there. I don't know about the "dropped quality of today" issue; it could be.

But the 870 was the slickest. I had the Mossie 500; meh. Winchester 1300 is OK. The 870 was the slickest, the twin rails made it soooo smooth.

With the magazine; I'd like to see. Hopefully the quality has dropped but it could be.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I do recall; my dad's best friend had one. I remember its recoil, since I was 12! :a43:

I'd like to get one of these, but it's hard to add to the shottie stable ... the Benelli M1 Super90 kind of rules the roost.

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Benelli M1 Super90 kind of rules the roost

Thats the one ;)

I was going to buy an M1 over my 11-87, but because it happened to have a pistol grip stock, it fell into the "Restricted" category here in Canada so I didnt. I should have bought the pistol gripped stocked version, but they didnt have one on the rack so I went with the little Remmy.

Its been a good gun and cycles only slightly slower than I can shoot a Benelli. As far as I know, no one at my club has beat my 1.85 second record for knocking 4 bowling pins off a table at 10 yards with it yet and there are a few Benellis around that club.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Thats the one ;)

Mine was the police non-pistol-grip (conventional) stock, ghost ring, slug barrel. Great with buck. (Painful with slugs).

I did add a sporting barrel: 26" vent rib with three adjustable chokes ... so much as I want this new Remmie ...

AA

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Thats the one ;)

I was going to buy an M1 over my 11-87, but because it happened to have a pistol grip stock, it fell into the "Restricted" category here in Canada so I didnt. I should have bought the pistol gripped stocked version, but they didnt have one on the rack so I went with the little Remmy.

Its been a good gun and cycles only slightly slower than I can shoot a Benelli. As far as I know, no one at my club has beat my 1.85 second record for knocking 4 bowling pins off a table at 10 yards with it yet and there are a few Benellis around that club.

Scattergun Technologies will take an 11-87 and when you get it back, it is one slick little defensive shotgun. Or offensive!

proxy.php

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Scattergun Technologies will take an 11-87 and when you get it back, it is one slick little defensive shotgun. Or offensive!

proxy.php

Thats the same combat bolt handle I installed. I should have added an oversize safety switch, but that wasnt a big deal. I did think about ghost ring sights, but they complicate bird shooting for me and with the rifled tube installed, I could keep all my sabots on a 12" square paper at 100 with just a bead. The only sabots I shot were Federal Premium and Remington Premier, both 3". Switch to lead bird shot and the rifled tube patterns the same as imp cyl. It scattered steel shot all over a 36" round paper at 30 yards though, to thin to hunt with.

I did add a Browning backpack type sling for dragging deer out. They're actually really nice too. Setup fairly tight they dont slip, the shotgun doest twist or flop around in the center of your back and all you have to do is shrug one shoulder and catch the butt in your hand and you're in business.

I won another contest at the gun club once. They have "Turkey Shoots" every first Sunday of the month from Oct to April. They include trap, 2 shots from each station, an "Annie Oakley" trap shoot, shot from the 22 yard line and if the first shooter misses the bird, the shooters next down the line can shoot at it until its broken or hits the ground. If you shoot at a broken bird, you're out! If the last 2 shooters tie, they get moved back to 27 and shoot until one misses. Theres been 28 shooters on the line for a single shoot and the most shots I've seen from 27 yards were 26 shots before someone missed. Talk about a fun shoot! lol.

They also run a "Pepper The Paper" shoot thats shot at 40 yards at a 4" paper target. Gun and choke of choice and shot with 4 shot lead. One day they ran out of 4 shot and said they'd use 6 lead. I put the XFull Turkey choke in, fired one shell and put 96 pellets in a 4" circle. The next closest count was 40 something pellets.

That XFull tube loves 6 lead lol. I hit a high flying Canada Goose once at about 50 yards up over the dekes and took the breast right out of it. The dog ate that one lol.

That little camo gun never let me down once in the 15-20 years I carried it. I just had to remember where I leaned it and only lost it in the grass once! hahaha

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Mine was the police non-pistol-grip (conventional) stock, ghost ring, slug barrel. Great with buck. (Painful with slugs).

I've never been a believer in buck shot. I know many are, but I've seen even 000 buck cripple deer at 30 yards and in one case, a 3 1/2" load of 000 out of an Ithaca Mag10 I have here, we had to chase that deer 9 concessions before we finally killed it with a slug. Thats 9 miles, or more.

If you can hit it with buck shot you can hit it with a slug. If close range and over penetration is a concern, a trap load will do most that needs doing at 10-15 yards.

Recoil from a slug load in an auto never bothered me, but it can in a pump gun. Once you've shot a .338 Lapua with a 230 grain bullet at 3150fps or a 250 at 3050fps from a 9lb rifle, recoil of most things ceases to matter lol.

That rifle was just like a giant .22-250 with a 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. 3500fps 6 feet from the muzzle. A 350lb black bear at 40 yards was very impressed when he took it through both lungs and the heart, but he would have caught any jackrabbit alive in 75 yards. 4" entrance, broke 4 ribs and failed to exit!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Slugs are impressive on both ends!

Once I bought on sale (must have been spring) 10 or more boxes of slugs dirt cheap. Brought those suckers to the range for some plinking.

Well. It wasn't a three hour range visit...

AA

519E02B8-5B1A-45F4-8E54-95BB2CFAA3A3.jpeg
Now HERE’S a .12 gauge slug. Never could find these for sale (other than online or so I was told). Heard they were pretty spendy, but whoa!
This is some scary looking ordnance.

O.A.T.H. Ammunition. Used to be made in Merritt Island (FL). Went out of business last year sometime. Knew a Florida dealer who used to carry it. Stuff was scary. Came in a variety of calibers; never saw the .12 gauge first hand though. Thought about buying some in 9mm once but was afraid of the potential repercussions if I ever had to use it. I mean that stuff was PUNITIVE!!!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hm, google is friendly.

Looks like a sabot / submunition ... two-parter.

Other calibers; whoa, do the pieces come off ...

AA

Top Bottom