What's new

Something new from Remington

It would have to be a 10 round mag to even consider it. Would still have to work out the manual of arms in order to single load a different type shell, such as changing from buckshot to slug rapidly. If it required removing and/or switching the box magazine, that would be a tactical no-go for me.

I agree. The ability to quickly change between different types of ammo is one of the shotgun's major advantages. That was a critical component to the shotgun training course I took. If this box magazine version makes that more difficult, I would never consider one.

D1637E4F-D551-4BBF-B402-7BF7CBE0B221.jpeg
Looks like a good candidate for a short barreled shotgun without sacrificing capacity.

Already there

Easy to swap ammunition, easy to reload, moves the ammo weight from the length of the barrel back towards the lower center (better balance / aiming)

I dont think that it is a bad design at all, esp once the aftermarket magazines become available

It looks like the magazine mechanism bolts on somehow, possibly replacing the receiver cross pins. I wonder if this will be a kit that can be added to other Remington 870 shotguns...very interesting.

Easy to swap ammunition, easy to reload, moves the ammo weight from the length of the barrel back towards the lower center (better balance / aiming)

I dont think that it is a bad design at all, esp once the aftermarket magazines become available
The only question is do you trust a company like Remington to perfect such a revolutionary design before they bring it to market? They arent exactly known for making the highest quality firearms in the world.

Over the decades....Thousands of hunters, police officers, military snipers, and clay bird shooters may disagree with you over your position on Remington quality.

Here's one hunter who isn't greatly impressed with Remington products. I once hunted with a Remington 1100. It would misfeed and jam on occasion, and left tiny dents on the primers of unfired shells. Back then, Browning was top dog and you could tell by the superior quality. So it is that when I think of shotguns, my thoughts turn to Browning and Mossberg.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Never had any trouble with my two 870's and an 1100, purchased before the recent difficulties of Remington QC.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
21" Remington 11-87 SPS-T. 'Combat" bolt handle, high vis follower, extended tube. Short, handy and very quick.

Remington 11-87 SPS-T .JPG

Eight sabots in it and I felt safe anywhere. Loaded with shot it can hang with the Benellis in a 3 gun match, easily. The only hurdles, it needs 1 1/4oz min load and regular maintenance of the recoil spring and tube.

A detachable mag I'd be whacking on everything I climbed over not to mention snagging it on twigs, tree limbs and fences lol.

Drum mags they have for Mossbergs: Adaptive Tactical Sidewinder Venom Kit Mossberg 500 - MPN: AT-05100

4E2CF218-3165-4D9A-9572-CA8AD71FA17D.jpeg

Remington 1100 Classic Trap on top.
Browning BPS on bottom.
Both 12 gauge.
Different shotguns set up for different tasks. Both perform perfectly.
.....Remington is a lot prettier if that counts.

Over the decades....Thousands of hunters, police officers, military snipers, and clay bird shooters may disagree with you over your position on Remington quality.
Unfortunately, since Freedom Group acquired them, along with Marlin and a few others, quality has fallen off the cliff. We can hardly give them away. They are churning out mass quantities of 870s & 700s by the container load for big box stores at bare bones pricing and the final product reflects it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Unfortunately, since Freedom Group acquired them, along with Marlin and a few others, quality has fallen off the cliff. We can hardly give them away. They are churning out mass quantities of 870s & 700s by the container load for big box stores at bare bones pricing and the final product reflects it.

Hmmm, I didnt know that. I'll be hanging on to my uncles old 1100. Between it and my 11-87 I have my shotgun needs covered. If they ever fail, my old Belgian Auto 5 will always work.

I'm curious how that may have affected the Remington Custom Shop.

@bberg100
Yes, I’ll have to agree with you on the recent downward spiral of Remington quality. Fortunately my 1100 and 870 are pre-Freedom Group vintage.
Sold off both my 700 rifles and replaced them with Brownings. Same with my Marlin .30-30; replaced with a Henry H009.
Been lucky with the Remington-Marlin 1895. It has been flawless since Day 1. I do know not to push my luck though. It’ll be a while (if ever) before I acquire another Remington product. I’m having a difficult enough time trying to muddle through a new handgun purchase. Now a Ruger SR-1911 (10mm) has joined the competition and is vying for a spot in the safe. Already own a SR-1911 in .45 ACP and it quite a nice handgun. So....decisions, decisions.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Hmmm, I didnt know that. I'll be hanging on to my uncles old 1100. Between it and my 11-87 I have my shotgun needs covered. If they ever fail, my old Belgian Auto 5 will always work.

I'm curious how that may have affected the Remington Custom Shop.

Love the 11-87. You got some good guns. :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
@bberg100
Yes, I’ll have to agree with you on the recent downward spiral of Remington quality. Fortunately my 1100 and 870 are pre-Freedom Group vintage.
Sold off both my 700 rifles and replaced them with Brownings. Same with my Marlin .30-30; replaced with a Henry H009.
Been lucky with the Remington-Marlin 1895. It has been flawless since Day 1. I do know not to push my luck though. It’ll be a while (if ever) before I acquire another Remington product. I’m having a difficult enough time trying to muddle through a new handgun purchase. Now a Ruger SR-1911 (10mm) has joined the competition and is vying for a spot in the safe. Already own a SR-1911 in .45 ACP and it quite a nice handgun. So....decisions, decisions.

Wait, what?

Yeah I’m full of surprises. But after a close inspection of how the rear slide on the Ruger is machined out to accomodate those Bo Mar replica sights (I do not like up-down-sideways adjustable sights on anything other than a dedicated target pistol...this won’t be a target pistol), the Ruger stock has fallen a few points. Not even sure a set of Novaks will fit in that dovetail.

I have an old plane jane Rem 1100 12 ga that I bought at a NATO rod and gun club over in Turkey back in 1972 that's still going strong. Hunted a lot of quail and doves over there as well as wild boar in the mountains. A couple of years ago I ended up with an 1100 Lt 20 ga that my sister had taken in trade as partial payment on a travel trailer she and her husband no longer wanted. It needed a lot of work, for starters the magazine follower had swollen and corroded and frozen to the magazine tube, so I had to get it out, smooth and make sure the mag tube was ok, then replace the follower, and install a 3 shot plug. The rest needed a complete soaking to clean all the dried lube and crud in the action, while doing that I installed a Timney sear and spring kit to improve the trigger pull, now a crisp 3lb instead of a creepy, gritty 8 lb when I started. Lastly I replaced all the wood, found a nice set at Numrich. The original forend had numerous splits. The buttstock had be cut off at some point, a spacer that was too small for the stock installed with the wood about 1/4" proud of the spacer, then a recoil pad again that was proud of the space by a lot. It honestly looked as though it had been thrown in the bed of a dirty pickup numerous times, not taken care of at all

I went ahead and picked up new barrels for each, that would take interchangeable choke tubes. The old 12 ga has an original Rem. smoothbore slug barrel, and skeet barrel, as well as a later aftermarket Hastings slug barrel that is rifled. Both shoot well, the 12 ga I have had for 45 years now, and has never jammed or failed to function, the little 20 only has had two boxes of shells through it since I got it. I thought I spent too much on it but when I saw a new one and the prices quickly forgot about that, those things are expensive now, the wood on the new production is so much nicer than on the old ones, and have what looks like cut checkering vs pressed on the old.

Top Bottom