What's new

Some random thoughts on shaving while traveling.

We have just returned from a fifteen day trip that necessitated some changes in my normal shaving routine. I have been on longer trips for sure, but this time I purposely selected some specific products in anticipation of some upcoming trips of similar and longer duration.

My first observation is that I missed my warming scuttle. I got fine shaves without it to be sure, but I have really come to enjoy that bit of luxury and missed it. Secondly, any brush becomes a travel brush in the right travel container. My only rule is that I will not take any brush that I can not readily replace. Some travel specific brushes are very nice and work very well for their purpose. I was very impressed with my new Da Vinci travel brush. This experience also reinforced my fondness for shaving sticks for travel as well. They work well at home but they are wonderful for travel as they tuck in small places easily. This is true for shaving cream in tubes as well. I did limit my aftershave to GFT Coral skin food and it performed extremely well as expected and its plastic bottle tucks in small places as well. I took small decants of favorite colognes in aftermarket very small plastic spray bottles and that worked very well.

All in all I was very pleased with my decisions and will post item specific thoughts in the appropriate places as time permits.

Best regards,

Doug

My "minimalist" travel kit consists of:

Drive by shooting Futur
Assortment of blades (10 of them)
Arko
Wee Scot

For AS I use Vodka (comes in handy for other uses also)

proxy.php

For many years I used a minimalist shaving kit as well Turtle. But for the last several years I have changed my thoughts on shaving on the road. I have decided that I would like to bring as much of the pleasurable experience and variety on the road with me as possible without bulking up the kit unreasonably. I think that I have found the sweet spot in doing just that. My recent experience confirms that it certainly is doable. I will continue to refine the process with some shorter upcoming trips but I am pleased with the results to date.

Regards,

Doug

I travel vintage. Here is my latest travel kit, but it's subject to change. For example, I also often pack one of my favorite brushes in an aerified medicine bottle, and perhaps some extra soap, and another razor.

It's a mid-forties Rhodium plated Aristocrat, blade case w/Astras and Feathers, cream in sample jars that fit in the vintage soap container: Proraso, AOS Sandlewood, and Tabac, my travel brush, a white case with my alum block, and a spray bottle of Floid Vigoroso.

$DSCN6836.jpg$DSCN6840.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom