What's new

some brushes i've made

hey all, totally missed this spot in the forum.. i posted these in the DIY thread in general shaving, but they are more appropriate here... i made these as gifts to my groomsmen in 2007... haven't been making many since, but plan to get more going soon!

L to R: black palm, lignum vitae, kingwood, yew, tulipwood
all 'best' badger hair knots finished with CA

proxy.php

I really like the tulipwood...just ordered a custom brush from another member in Tulipwod.

Love the grain.

Great work...post more.

NICE ..what is CA Thanks

CA is cyanoacrylate glue; in other words, super glue. it provides a great water resistant finish that takes a shine very well.

thanks for all the replies, they are appreciated. i do have some knots left, so i will try to get more made up soon and hopefully offer a few for sale.

Sub'ed in the event that the sale thing takes wings...I wanna be at the front end of the line. :thumbup:

Those are exceptional!

=1

I especially like the tulipwood. Beautiful grain.

yes ,the tulipwood is a knockout,although they are all truly beautiful...great work....I used to have a charter arms snub nose 1 7/8 barrel .44 special in the 1970's, I had put a set of tulipwood grips on it,I love the patterns in the grain

I love the shape and finish on the black palm. Very unique!

thanks, i liked that one best, but i gave it to my brother since he lived in Asia for a while. i kept the tulipwood one, which has been my go to brush for the last 4 years or so.

How do you apply the CA and then polish the handle?

it's been a while since i made one, so i don't remember my process 100% but from what i do remember, the CA is applied on the lathe with paper towel, sanding after every 3rd coat or so (i can't remember if i used thin or medium CA glue, i think thin, but they both work). probably end up with 9-12 coats when all is said and done. then i sand it to 400 or 600, then use micromesh (fine sanding cloths) and then a plastic polish. all done on the lathe. if i didn't use the plastic polish, i'd just buff the handle on a wheel and then epoxy in the knot after. it's easiest to do all the finishing on the lathe if possible.

Top Bottom