What's new

Softest synthetic brushes out there, any recommendations? Love the Faux Horse fibers, no scrub or very little prefered

M

member 141132

My T3 was exactly that and I wasn’t happy with the short and thick handle either.
Good to know, thank you. While i'm sure the Trafalgars are excellent face latherers they're just now what i'm looking for. Splay > backbone anyday for me

M

member 141132

The purple haze is the exact one I have. Its my favourite brush.
Sounds good, it's a looker too! Damn good looking brush, most Yaqi's are. It's 24mm but I find myself enjoying 24mm size quite a bit as well, great mix between size and control imo

Sounds good, it's a looker too! Damn good looking brush, most Yaqi's are. It's 24mm but I find myself enjoying 24mm size quite a bit as well, great mix between size and control imo
Yes, agreed. This one is a hell of a workhorse. Easy splay, soft tips, gentle scrub and like all synths extremely soap and water efficient and instant drying. Its like the complete opposite of the G5 knot which has very strong backbone and good scrub with a little bit of scritch. The only real issue with Yaqi is qc. Some people get brushes with a glue bumb which can ruin the experience a little.

M

member 141132

Yes, agreed. This one is a hell of a workhorse. Easy splay, soft tips, gentle scrub and like all synths extremely soap and water efficient and instant drying. Its like the complete opposite of the G5 knot which has very strong backbone and good scrub with a little bit of scritch. The only real issue with Yaqi is qc. Some people get brushes with a glue bumb which can ruin the experience a little.
Would you say it scrubs less, the same or more than the Yaqi Rainbow?

M

member 141132

I've not used the rainbow so I can't say unfortunately. But it has very low scrub for me. Really the scrub is just from having physical bristles on the face.
Oh right I forgot to ask..my Yaqi Rainbow sometimes tangles in the middle as I like to splay it quite a bit, does the purple haze knot do the same? I know actual horsehair brushes tend to tangle and since the Rainbow knot is Faux Horse that might the reason.

Oh right I forgot to ask..my Yaqi Rainbow sometimes tangles in the middle as I like to splay it quite a bit, does the purple haze knot do the same? I know actual horsehair brushes tend to tangle and since the Rainbow knot is Faux Horse that might the reason.
Not really...but I comb out my brush of the week after my last shave on Sunday so its prepped to be stored until its time for its rotation. So it would be hard for me to tell. I've never really had brush tangling be an issue.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
In my opinion, and in the opinion of anyone else that has used it, the softest brush is the Wald A1. The A1 is a very unique synthetic. It is soft beyond anything out in the market. Using it is an experience. It is expensive, and not easy to get. But the A1 is well worth the price of admission. It is beyond soft. Like lathering with a cloud.

51841F22-4323-4A22-9A8C-59F659789193.png

M

member 141132

In my opinion, and in the opinion of anyone else that has used it, the softest brush is the Wald A1. The A1 is a very unique synthetic. It is soft beyond anything out in the market. Using it is an experience. It is expensive, and not easy to get. But the A1 is well worth the price of admission. It is beyond soft. Like lathering with a cloud.

View attachment 1657741
Sadly out of my budget atm but it's something I definitely want to pick up one day. I've heard nothing but good things about this excellent brush

I absolutely think the price is worth it considering what goes into it

Motherloade sounds great, read up on some reviews of it and wow. It really sounds like what i'm looking for it. Do they set the knot themselves if I ask for it? I've never set a knot personally so that'd be helpful
They have both brushes and knots on their own.
I have the 22 & 24mm mother lode brushes, and I have had the Yaqi mew.
The mother lode is softer. I prefer the 24mm as the 22mm feels a bit small.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I only use two synthetics now, and they are the best.
The very softest is the Wald A1. My other choice is the Muehle STF knot,
I use a 25 mm for home and a 19 mm for my travel brush. These STF knots
are soft, have no scritch, and splay easily - they are the closest to a
badger, which is still my favorite material for a brush.

I've heard good things about the Trafalgar brushes but i've also heard they are difficult to splay but YMMV
I find the Trafalgar splays easily, it is less dense than the other Simpsons (hence the low price).

The Platinum bristles are worse, stiffer and more prickly. But they are great using painting motions, which is what I got used to doing, I find no downsides.

I like my rainbow pony as well! If you like that and like yaqi brushes, you might like their 24mm mew brown purple haze or their 26mm timberwolf. I have and like all three, they are fairly similar in feel.

M

member 141132

I like my rainbow pony as well! If you like that and like yaqi brushes, you might like their 24mm mew brown purple haze or their 26mm timberwolf. I have and like all three, they are fairly similar in feel.
Would you say the Mew Brown Purple Haze is the softest, even if it's just by a tiny tiny bit? I've heard good things about the Timberwolf as well

Perhaps, but I don't really think so, the tips of all three feel equally soft. The rainbow and timberwolf are both 26mm, and may have just a bit more backbone.

The Yaqi Purple Haze uses those fibers I think, a very nice looking brush.

Yaqi brushes are tremendous for their price, great bang for buck brushes and this is one I need to try
I much prefer my Yaqi Timberwolf over the Yaqi Purple Haze. It's softer.

Soft synthetic brush and you like the Rainbow Pony…

As already stated: The Wald A1. There is nothing like it.

I understand that the Wald is beyond your price point at this time, so I’ll throw out some other great options that do not cost a lot.

Yaqi Purple Mink: very soft bristles, short loft, so no tangles

Yaqi Arctic: the white knot in a semi translucent sea green handle: very soft bristles.

Yaqi Evil Zebra: looks like a reverse tuxedo knot, bigger knot (26mm), soft, good density.

Good luck with your search.

Top Bottom