What's new

Soft Arkansas or Cushion Strop, which is finer?

Hi,
I am considering buying a relatively coarse hone for reestablishing the bevel on old razors. My question is: Which is more suitable, a soft Arkansas stone or a Cushion Strop Hone (from www.redtrader99.com). Which of these hones is coarser, and would anyone recommend a better hone?
Thank you
The Polecat

Arkansas stones are slow - even the coarse "soft" version is very slow, and razors are very hard. Even "coarse" barber hones are quite slow. You're better off getting a 2k or 4k Norton or Shapton for bevel work.

I just finished getting a good bevel on an unknown brand French razor that had a frown when I got it. I first used an old sharpening stone for scythes to hone out the frown, then the 5K Shapton and then the coticule. Took me less than an hour to have a shave ready razor! You have to be careful if you use a coarse stone for sharpening scythes, though.

Before I start I mark the bevel with transverse lines every 3/4", then hone away on the coarse stone till the lines on the bevel are all gone. At that point you know that the bevel along its whole length makes good contact with the hone. Then it is time to switch to a finer hone. If the bevel is chipped you can only take a look every 5 strokes to see where you are at.

Good luck and let us know how you got on.

Hi,
Thanks for your replies, must look for a Norton - does anyone know where I can get such a beast in Germany?
The-Polecat

I'd go for a 1200 DMT diamond hone for bevel work, as I now believe it is the best option.

Cheers
Ivo
I agree that this is generaly the best, but it may be a little too fast if you're trying to restore an edge that's already mostly there. In that case I find a 4K or equivalent barber hone the best. However, the equivalent would be on the coarse side of medium.

Hi,
Thanks for your replies, must look for a Norton - does anyone know where I can get such a beast in Germany?
The-Polecat

If you life in Germany I would try the Japanese water stones from Dick.biz
Get yourself a 1000/6000 King combination stone.
I am working with them and they do very good.

Hope this helps.

Hey Kees, how is that 5k shapton working out for you? I was inspired and got the 5000 grit M15 version. Not sure how it works yet (waiting on my DMT from Howard to lap it...I could use sandpaper, but then why did I buy the DMT) but I've have good results with other stones from that line

Hey Kees, how is that 5k shapton working out for you? I was inspired and got the 5000 grit M15 version. Not sure how it works yet (waiting on my DMT from Howard to lap it...I could use sandpaper, but then why did I buy the DMT) but I've have good results with other stones from that line

It's great! It sorts any razor with an iffy bevel in a very short time! What's the difference between the Pro and M15?

I believe the pro series is harder and won't produce a slurry, whereas the M15 series is softer and will produce a slurry; sort of designed to feel more like a natural stone.

Top Bottom