What's new

SoCal DE Newbie second posting

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Hello everyone,

First off I wanted to thank everyone that commented on my first posting. I am getting some really sharp tips and very cutting advice.
I also wanted to thank Smedley5 for sending me a link to a-----> PIF Huck is running and two 1948 Superspeeds (his & mine) are up for grabs to new shavers who want to try them out - see this thread.

There are a couple of Ball End Tech's for under $20 I am looking at on ebay, and I ordered 2 of the RazorRock De1's that were recommended, one for me, and one that I am giving to a co-worker I am trying to convert to DE shaving. They were $9.99 on Amazon. IB has them for $4.99 + $6.95 shipping.

Now an update on my last shave. I have decided to put my Chieftain back in it's cage for now.
After letting my beard get 3 days growth I got my Feather Popular out for it's third shave, still loaded with the same Hi Stainless blade it came with.
1. Shower
2. Lather with Taylor Old Bond cream and White Knight synthetic brush.
3. Shave under nose first, around lips and over and under chin and jawline, holding the razor with two fingers just under the head of the razor. I continued down my neck, all passes WTG.
Next I shaved my face. I noticed I had to make about 3 passes WTG to reduce the hair to stubble.
4. Rinse & re-lather, one pass XTG, and one ATG on my face. A few XTG under my neck, and light touch-up's WTG with the handle almost 90 degrees straight out.
5. Rinse with warm water.
6. Cold water and Alum Block. Only a few small weepers on the usual trouble spots even my electric razor irritated.
7. Slapped some Old Spice on.
8. Admired my CCS.
9. Thinking maybe it is a DFS!!!!!

The main thing I have noticed about the Feather Popular with it's light weight--- 34.2 grams with blade--I found it very easy to actually hear the audible feedback when the blade was cutting or just coasting over the top. I can hold it so lightly that when I shave ATG if I get the angle wrong it just stops dead in it's tracks before it nicks me........

I guess that I will have to attribute my first shave with the Feather Popular as being scary was due to poor technique on my part.
I have now had 2 nice shaves in a row with the Feather Popular that left me with no irritation at all, so it will become my daily driver for now.

Can't wait till my new RazorRock DE1 gets here, it comes with Derby's. Me thinks a Hi Stainless for it's first drive..........

Doug
I can't ask my dad for shaving advice so I came here

Here’s a tip. Don’t go changing your setup for at least a month. Get used to your gear, earn some muscle memory and then get crazy buying more gear.

Another tip? Keep posting your progress here!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Here’s a tip. Don’t go changing your setup for at least a month. Get used to your gear, earn some muscle memory and then get crazy buying more gear.

+1. Sage advice from a wise man.

Mad Man gave you the straight poop. And keep us posted. I know I enjoy reading about other members successes, and what you post will help new members.

NT

Welcome aboard!!

The main thing is as OP above note is to pick one set-up and stick with it until your technique is solid!

+2

It can easily lead to confusion on what caused both better and worse shaves, as the switching back to the Feather illustrated to you. Wasn't the razor, just it being new to you.

Happy Shaves!

Yep. Go ahead, change up razors, blades, etc at will. Just not now! Stick with one thing for a while. Resist the urge to buy a bunch of stuff at this point. :)

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents

+3

But of coarse...
The advice I have read has led me to believe that my first choice of razor, the Vikings Blade Chieftain, was based on my not gathering enough information to make a wise choice. I am quite sure that when I get enough practice and with the right blade it will deliver a DFS. Just not at this point.

So, my daily driver for now will be the 'El 'Cheapo Feather Popular and steps 1-9 as listed above.

Doug
I can't ask my dad for shaving advice so I came here

Glad you found us, glad you're reading & watching & learning, & glad you're posting. This is a great pastime, so as you learn, take the time to enjoy the shaves!

Top Bottom