What's new

Soaps that don’t work for you

I know I’m three months late to the party, but I agree with you. Turns to mush the moment I start loading. Gave my Ouroboros away.

I have evaluated over 150 soaps and about 50 soap and cream formulations. I have tried everything from shave creams in a pump bottle, tube, of can to triple-milled hard pucks. The key is using the right brush, the right method of loading, and the right ratio of water to soap. With creams, croaps and soft soaps, rather than trying to load the brush by swirling the brush around the tub, you might be better off scooping out a little soap using a small scoop or your finger and adding it to your brush if you face lather or to your bowl if you bowl lather. When people try to load directly from the tub, it is easy to load far to much soap. That makes it difficult to add sufficient water to achieve a properly hydrated lather.

When properly hydrated, Murphy & McNeil soaps are the best performing soaps in my den. I have some others that as good, but I have not yet found a soap that out-peforms it for ease of lathering, primary and residual slickness, and post-shave feel.

Most of them don't. I have sensitive skin but my hair comes in thick and in several directions. I've tried everything from GF Trumper to Maggards. Only ones that do work are Proraso green/white (with the preshave), and Cella (but only with an additive like Cremo). Williams is horrible, Arko is blah, Godrej lime kinda works, but I can live without it.

Most of them don't. I have sensitive skin but my hair comes in thick and in several directions. I've tried everything from GF Trumper to Maggards. Only ones that do work are Proraso green/white (with the preshave), and Cella (but only with an additive like Cremo). Williams is horrible, Arko is blah, Godrej lime kinda works, but I can live without it.

I have sensitive skin and a coarse beard. I can shave with pretty much anything as long as my technique is good. I have even shaved using Irish Spring bath soap as an experiment. However, I get my best shaves using some of the more recent artisan soaps. It is amazing how much difference a great soap can make.

Unfortunately my face hates Chiseled Face Groomatorium soaps. I have a Panda and Civet. I also had the opportunity to buy a Rhino last week or so but had to realistically turn it down even though I love the scent. Such a disheartening experience to know I will need to get rid of these soaps.

...When properly hydrated, Murphy & McNeil soaps are the best performing soaps in my den. I have some others that as good, but I have not yet found a soap that out-peforms it for ease of lathering, primary and residual slickness, and post-shave feel.

The latest iteration of A&E soap is just as good if not better, depending on the shaver. If you're that concerned about post shave feel then try Lisa's Artisan soaps. IMO, they give the best of that for those who don't wash their face post shave with a facial wash.

The latest iteration of A&E soap is just as good if not better, depending on the shaver. If you're that concerned about post shave feel then try Lisa's Artisan soaps. IMO, they give the best of that for those who don't wash their face post shave with a facial wash.

I have tried a lot of soaps, including the A&E new formula with strained yogurt. I do consider it to be an elite soap A+, just slightly better than the previously formula which I rank A level. I also have four soaps from Lisa's Natural Herbal Creations. They are also excellent soaps, but I rank them as A- soaps, so I do not consider them as elite.

Thus, the A&E Yogurt formula ranks right up there along with Murphy and McNeil. So do Barrister and Mann Excelsior, Cold River Soapworks Glide, Grooming Department, and Wholly Kaw. However, none of these elite soaps outperforms M&M by my criteria.

My disappointment was the new type Williams soap, It's not a bad soap but its not what it once was. What most of you call Vintage Williams is a soap that I started shaving with and it worked up a great lather very quickly. This new Williams takes time and some know how to get a decent lather. Sadly I bought 12 of the Williams but I have found that mixing the Williams with a half bar of Cucumber or Shea Butter Dove soap, I get a very good lather.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Modern Williams: I still have a few pucks (one actually soaking for the past week) and keeping WANTING it to work due to the price, but as slick as it is, I continually have problems lathering it.

Shaving Yeti: Great scent on the Mamacita on the Rocks that I had, but dissipating lather, just like Williams.

Through The Fire Fine Craft: The Sue Moore auction Pink Grapefruit smells wonderful and I get a great 1st-pass lather, but then it disappears for pass-2.

Tabac. No matter how hard I try it just won't lather.

Joking people! Thanks, what a great audience!

It's not really a soap (darn close to a croap), but I cannot get Castle Forbes to work any better than slightly below average. Maybe I can trade it to someone that hates DRH (which works great for me) :). Otherwise, Proraso White (yuck) and Stirling Sharp Dressed Man, which burned my skin even though I like the scent (albeit too strong) and the soap base.

I've been using Stirling for over 2 yrs now and been on the forum here for 2.5 yrs and this is the 1st time I've ever heard anyone say that Stirling soaps leave any kind of residue. I switched to Stirling from Proraso because it left residue on everything including the sink, faucet, and countertop... It seemed like I had to put my razors in the ultrasonic cleaner every week when using Proraso and now I do it maybe every other month. Maybe its something in your water?

When I first saw this thread, I thought that Stirling will definitely *not* figure in it, yet it did :)

Stirling is my favorite brand; great performance and great scents.

There's this one called Latha I have from B&M. It lathers and performs well, yes, but I've always wondered what its point was? I mean, what was B&M thinking?

There's this one called Latha I have from B&M. It lathers and performs well, yes, but I've always wondered what its point was? I mean, what was B&M thinking?
The Latha line was B&M's way of getting simpler/less complex scents out there, with a different base that offered a lower price point. They were pretty popular, I thought they were fine but nothing I would re-buy (I'm still working through a few that haven't been finished up).

Ariana & Evans Which One’s Pink... burns my skin. Despite having an abundance of this brand in my stockpile, this scent is not tolerable for me. Soap base is excellent though.

Top Bottom